Author Topic: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?  (Read 91294 times)

Alfie

Re: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?
« Reply #390 on: September 24, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »
I think most people knew what he was saying before the latest leadership tour started.

Thatcher once declared to a crowd of her supporters: “Our greatest achievement was Tony Blair. We forced our opponents to change.” New Labour's acceptance of many of the underlying assumptions of Thatcherism was, in the view of Thatcher and her supporters, the crowning glory of their great crusade.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/08/owen-jones-right-are-mocking-jeremy-corbyn-because-secretly-they-fear-him
I think you overestimate both "most people" and also Jeremy Corbyn's reach out to the GBP.   Being more clued up than most I'd have a pretty good idea about what the old Lefty would have to say but that doesn't mean that if I were out and about at the same time as one of his rallies that I wouldn't stop to have a listen.   Your byline is 'don't assume' - don't assume a large crowd means wide support generally.

Alfie

« Reply #391 on: September 24, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
I think most people knew what he was saying before the latest leadership tour started.

Thatcher once declared to a crowd of her supporters: “Our greatest achievement was Tony Blair. We forced our opponents to change.” New Labour's acceptance of many of the underlying assumptions of Thatcherism was, in the view of Thatcher and her supporters, the crowning glory of their great crusade.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/08/owen-jones-right-are-mocking-jeremy-corbyn-because-secretly-they-fear-him
By the way, thanks for the article link by Owen Jones, you may be interested to read a more up to date article by the same author:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/owen-jones-jeremy-corbyn-brink-disaster_uk_579e6b4ae4b0f42daa4a6944

Alfie

« Reply #392 on: September 24, 2016, 05:47:49 PM »
“There is no question that Jeremy Corbyn has inspired and enthused hundreds of thousands of people all over Britain. But Michael Foot attracted huge rallies across the country in the build-up to Labour’s 1983 general election disaster. When Neil Kinnock saw the huge crowd at the infamous Sheffield rally in 1992, he was undoubtedly convinced he was going to become Prime Minister. It did not happen" - Owen Jones

Alfie

« Reply #393 on: September 24, 2016, 05:57:36 PM »
Can anyone who thinks Corbyn has reached out and connected with the electorate explain this?

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/inlineimage/2016-08-10/Best%20Prime%20Minister%2089%20August-01.png

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #394 on: September 24, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »
The leader of the turncoats has turned again lol

sacked Hilary Benn says 'time for unity'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/24/labour-leadership-results-jeremy-corbyn-set-for-huge-win-but-fac/

When push comes to shove and it affects the pound in their pockets mostly they will take "The Company Shilling".
With regard to the resignation ploy I bet a lot of them are thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6CDYxMQ_dM
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #395 on: September 24, 2016, 06:16:30 PM »
I think you overestimate both "most people" and also Jeremy Corbyn's reach out to the GBP.   Being more clued up than most I'd have a pretty good idea about what the old Lefty would have to say but that doesn't mean that if I were out and about at the same time as one of his rallies that I wouldn't stop to have a listen.   Your byline is 'don't assume' - don't assume a large crowd means wide support generally.

Don't assume it doesn't. The proof of the pudding has not yet been tested outside of the Party. Until that testing occurs it's all guesswork.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfie

« Reply #396 on: September 24, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »
Don't assume it doesn't. The proof of the pudding has not yet been tested outside of the Party. Until that testing occurs it's all guesswork.
You tried to make some sort of point about Jeremy's huge reach and popularity by posting a few photographs of large crowds - I think it's you whose doing the assuming around here.  If you have anything concrete apart from a few photos to show Jeremy's widespread support across the electorate, one that flies in the face of all the polls on the subject then by all means post it here. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 06:37:32 PM by Alfie »

stephen25000

« Reply #397 on: September 24, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »

Corbyn has claimed success in bye elections.

Is he referring to local elections ?

Likewise , what was the voter turnout ?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #398 on: September 24, 2016, 09:21:50 PM »
You tried to make some sort of point about Jeremy's huge reach and popularity by posting a few photographs of large crowds - I think it's you whose doing the assuming around here.  If you have anything concrete apart from a few photos to show Jeremy's widespread support across the electorate, one that flies in the face of all the polls on the subject then by all means post it here.

The photos were a reply to another poster who said Corbyn had little support outside London. I posted pics which suggest he has support in Bristol, Liverpool and Hull.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline misty

« Reply #399 on: September 24, 2016, 10:34:06 PM »
The photos were a reply to another poster who said Corbyn had little support outside London. I posted pics which suggest he has support in Bristol, Liverpool and Hull.

I've just seen clips on the BBC news, from Liverpool. Does Corbyn have any supporters under 50y.o?

Alfie

« Reply #400 on: September 24, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »
I have no doubt that Corbyn has support in most English towns and cities, the question is how much?  Judging from every opinion poll there's been for the last 12 months the answer would seem to be - not much.  Still, at least he's guaranteed 0.7% of the electorate are behind him, which is a start.

Offline puglove

« Reply #401 on: September 24, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »
I've just seen clips on the BBC news, from Liverpool. Does Corbyn have any supporters under 50y.o?

I doubt it, misty. He looks like he haunts car boot sales, and smells of Germolene.   %56&
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline misty

« Reply #402 on: September 24, 2016, 11:27:27 PM »
I doubt it, misty. He looks like he haunts car boot sales, and smells of Germolene.   %56&

Newzoids depicted him correctly tonight - "if he could turn back time".

Offline puglove

« Reply #403 on: September 24, 2016, 11:30:57 PM »
Newzoids depicted him correctly tonight - "if he could turn back time".

Ha!! I saw that!

I wouldn't put him in charge of an allotment.
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline misty

« Reply #404 on: September 24, 2016, 11:38:16 PM »
Ha!! I saw that!

I wouldn't put him in charge of an allotment.

Is that one of those places where they grow England football managers?