Author Topic: Boris Johnson to shut down Parliament. Privy Council meet Queen at Balmoral.  (Read 25855 times)

Offline Baz

Democracy went out the window the moment Parliament went against the Democratic will of the majority.  This is something Theresa May should have done long ago but she surrounded herself with backstabbers so was unable to carry it out.

Looking forward to Independence Day on Halloween!

Ever since the referendum they have been trying to achieve Brexit. The referendum didn't mention any details about times or specifics regarding deals etc so that Brexit is still an ongoing process may be disappointing to some but is hardly undemocratic.

Offline Wonderfulspam

Expect Hong Kong  style protests on the streets of London any day now.

Some people predicted the end of the world in the event of a President Trump.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Venturi Swirl

Some people predicted the end of the world in the event of a President Trump.
Don't worry, it's on its way...
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

Democracy went out the window the moment Parliament went against the Democratic will of the majority.  This is something Theresa May should have done long ago but she surrounded herself with backstabbers so was unable to carry it out.

Looking forward to Independence Day on Halloween!
If Theresa May had prorogued Parliament to get her deal through all the Leavers would have been frothing at the mouth forever about it.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

You gotta laugh....

On proroguing parliament (all quotes taken from before today):

Matt Hancock: “To suspend Parliament explicitly to pursue a course of action against its wishes is not a serious policy of a Prime Minister in the 21st century. What kind of message would this send around the world about our values when so many have given so much for the rights of democratic freedom… A policy on Brexit to prorogue Parliament would mean the end of the Conservative Party as a serious party of government.”

Amber Rudd: “It would be absolutely outrageous for Boris Johnson to prorogue parliament. The idea of leaving the European Union in order to take back more control into Parliament, and to consider closing Parliament in order to deal with that, is the most extraordinary idea I’ve ever heard."

Sajid Javid: “We’re not selecting a dictator of our country, we’re selecting a prime minister. You don’t deliver democracy by trashing democracy.”

Michael Gove: “You cannot take Britain out of the EU against the will of Parliament."

Offline Angelo222

Can't stop laughing at John Bercow. Best thing the country has done since 1945 imo and many more countries will follow suit once they summon up the courage to leave the monster.  The European Project is dead imo, all that will be left soon will be the bones of a shattered French and German economy.  Britain will once more be the master of its own destiny.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:29:07 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

Can't stop laughing at John Bercow. Best thing the country has done since 1945 imo and many more countries will follow suit once they summon up the courage to leave the monster.  The European Project is dead imo, all that will be left soon will be the bones of a shattered French and German economy.  Britain will once more be the master of its own destiny.
Meanwhile Putin and Trump are clapping their hands with glee. 

Offline Admin

Brexit has split the country down the middle and caused mayhem in our democracy.  I just hope that it will be worth it in the long run.  That said however, I do agree that there are some individuals who have behaved very badly and should be ashamed of themselves.  Their ill advised attempts to thwart the democratic process has damaged Westminster, it might  welll take years to repair that damage and restore faith in our politicians again.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:11:26 PM by Admin »

Offline Venturi Swirl

Brexit has split the country down the middle and caused mayhem in our democracy.  I just hope that it will be worth it in the long run.  That said however, I do agree that there are some individuals who have behaved very badly and should be ashamed of themselves.  Their ill advised attempts to thwart the democratic process has damaged Westminster, it might  welll take years to repair that damage and restore faith in our politicians again.
What will certainly take years to repair is the damage caused by Brexit.  Will the young people of today ever forgive their parents and grandparents I wonder?

Offline G-Unit

I find all the outraged MP's funny too. Bleating away about 'democracy' when we all know they didn't give it a thought when they refused to implement the results of the Brexit referendum.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline barrier

What Boris needs to now is call an election on one simple mandate,we'll leave the EU on Oct 31'st,let the opposition tell the country their mandate,(if they have one).Any tories who don't wish to go along with it,jump ship.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Venturi Swirl

What Boris needs to now is call an election on one simple mandate,we'll leave the EU on Oct 31'st,let the opposition tell the country their mandate,(if they have one).Any tories who don't wish to go along with it,jump ship.
Hmm.  And what if he loses his seat and the Tories lose the election, or don’t command a majority.  What then?  Best wait until AFTER Brexit if he wants to hang on to power and hope that all the jubilant Brexiteers aren’t that put out by food and meds shortages, lorry parks from London to Dover, violence on the streets of NI and civil disorder in other major cities.

Offline G-Unit

Hmm.  And what if he loses his seat and the Tories lose the election, or don’t command a majority.  What then?  Best wait until AFTER Brexit if he wants to hang on to power and hope that all the jubilant Brexiteers aren’t that put out by food and meds shortages, lorry parks from London to Dover, violence on the streets of NI and civil disorder in other major cities.

What a prophet of doom you are. I can't help but wonder if you'll be disappointed if none of that happens. I expect the food and meds will sneak in through the EU's open border in Ireland in the event of a no deal Brexit. Unless, of course, the EU tries to police that border. That would be interesting to watch; the British Army found it almost impossible.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

What a prophet of doom you are. I can't help but wonder if you'll be disappointed if none of that happens. I expect the food and meds will sneak in through the EU's open border in Ireland in the event of a no deal Brexit. Unless, of course, the EU tries to police that border. That would be interesting to watch; the British Army found it almost impossible.
I am simply repeating the confidential forecasts of the governement’s own report on a no deal outcome.  I don’t believe in unicorns or pots of gold at the end of the rainbow so if that makes me a doom merchant so be it.

Offline Erngath

I do have concerns that there will be difficulty in continuing the usual supplies of certain foods and medicines.
Do you believe that "sneaking" supplies through an open border in Ireland will ensure there are no shortages of food and medicines.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.