Author Topic: Manhunt by Colin Sutton. Are there comparisons with Madeleine?  (Read 46642 times)

Offline G-Unit

Manhunt by Colin Sutton. Are there comparisons with Madeleine?
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:11:34 AM »
Having watched the first episode of Manhunt Sutton comes across as a calm, quiet and amenable character, but there are moments when his determination shows. It was interesting to see how many things a lead detective has to juggle as an investigation progresses; superiors, inferiors, the public. At the same time he/she has to move things along in the right direction.

One interesting snippet was Sutton's wife suggesting he used a stand alone database rather than HOLMES. He did, and admitted that it was quicker, whatever that meant.

The UK police rely heavily on CCTV and mobile phone technology. In this case it helps them considerably. Without it their jobs are much harder. I thought of the Moors murders which were only solved by an informer coming forward because there was no CCTV in those days allowing tracking of the victims and perpetrators.

The Madeleine McCann case offered little in the way of technological evidence so the UK police's expertise in that area hasn't helped. When OG's remit said they were going to investigate the case as if it happened in the UK, they seem to have thought that modern methods would help, but without technological evidence that wasn't possible. 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:59:11 PM by John »
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline barrier

Re: Manhunt by Colin Sutton. Are there comparisons with Madeleine?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:05:20 AM »
Having watched the first episode of Manhunt Sutton comes across as a calm, quiet and amenable character, but there are moments when his determination shows. It was interesting to see how many things a lead detective has to juggle as an investigation progresses; superiors, inferiors, the public. At the same time he/she has to move things along in the right direction.

One interesting snippet was Sutton's wife suggesting he used a stand alone database rather than HOLMES. He did, and admitted that it was quicker, whatever that meant.

The UK police rely heavily on CCTV and mobile phone technology. In this case it helps them considerably. Without it their jobs are much harder. I thought of the Moors murders which were only solved by an informer coming forward because there was no CCTV in those days allowing tracking of the victims and perpetrators.

The Madeleine McCann case offered little in the way of technological evidence so the UK police's expertise in that area hasn't helped. When OG's remit said they were going to investigate the case as if it happened in the UK, they seem to have thought that modern methods would help, but without technological evidence that wasn't possible.

I hate the thought of being watched with a passion,but my view can easily be swayed in the way it was used in the investigation by Suttons team,looking as if they have identified a suspects van at the end,purely through cameras.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »

The Scotland Yard investigation into Madeleine's disappearance has not yet reached conclusion therefore no judgement can be made on how the case has been progressed particularly as the book of its exploits isn't with the printers yet.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »

I hate the thought of being watched with a passion,but my view can easily be swayed in the way it was used in the investigation by Suttons team,looking as if they have identified a suspects van at the end,purely through cameras.

That was one of the moments when he showed his metal by insisting on getting that footage before it was lost. He also threw manpower at reviewing it despite others expressing doubts. Another was when he insisted on continuing to search the river. Did you notice him being congratulated on his ability to bullshit? It made me think about some of the things said be Redwood and Rowley lol.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »
The Scotland Yard investigation into Madeleine's disappearance has not yet reached conclusion therefore no judgement can be made on how the case has been progressed particularly as the book of its exploits isn't with the printers yet.

It's a fact that they have had no help from CCTV footage. It's also a fact that CCTV figures heavily in UK policing these days.
Result = happy posting.

Offline barrier

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 10:53:38 AM »
That was one of the moments when he showed his metal by insisting on getting that footage before it was lost. He also threw manpower at reviewing it despite others expressing doubts. Another was when he insisted on continuing to search the river. Did you notice him being congratulated on his ability to bullshit? It made me think about some of the things said be Redwood and Rowley lol.

Gave a reasoned insight to the working's of an investigation.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »

Gave a reasoned insight to the working's of an investigation.

Martin Clunes is on ITV's This Morning shortly. He might have something interesting to say as he worked closely with Sutton.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:09:26 AM »
Pity Amaral didn't manage that in Luz ... view from 1:00 ... when timings could have been established not only of the man seen by the Smiths but of their return to their apartment.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:29:35 AM »
Pity Amaral didn't manage that in Luz ... view from 1:00 ... when timings could have been established not only of the man seen by the Smiths but of their return to their apartment.

Perhaps because the PJ didn't have the reliance on CCTV that the UK police have developed.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »
Clunes and Sutton. Sutton reminding us that he's written a book about it.. It seems the point was to try to show how the police really work rather than glamourising it as many dramas do. Sutton emphasised the importance of teamwork and that the SIO needs to get the best from the team.
Result = happy posting.

Offline barrier

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 11:42:32 AM »

Yep,smithman struck out lucky with that.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 11:48:35 AM »
Perhaps because the PJ didn't have the reliance on CCTV that the UK police have developed.

The investigation failed to find and check one of the very few CCTV cameras situated in the vicinity of a missing child event and the senior investigating officer is on record as indicating it was a failure.  In my opinion there is no 'perhaps' about it 'incompetence' certainly.  The camera was located in an unmissable position yet it was overlooked.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 11:49:58 AM »

Yep,smithman struck out lucky with that.

Do you think so?  I really don't.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »
The investigation failed to find and check one of the very few CCTV cameras situated in the vicinity of a missing child event and the senior investigating officer is on record as indicating it was a failure.  In my opinion there is no 'perhaps' about it 'incompetence' certainly.  The camera was located in an unmissable position yet it was overlooked.

I have offered an explanation but you are determined to see it as a failure, despite not knowing if it would have shown anything of use or not. The point I was making was that the McCann case had more in common with UK police investigations in years gone by. It had nothing in common with those investigations as they are carried out today. Therefore investigating it as if it had happened in the UK was impossible without adding 'years ago'.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 12:02:59 PM »
Clunes and Sutton. Sutton reminding us that he's written a book about it.. It seems the point was to try to show how the police really work rather than glamourising it as many dramas do. Sutton emphasised the importance of teamwork and that the SIO needs to get the best from the team.

I'm not sure if you and I watched the same film.  I must admit I was a bit amazed at the emphasis on Sutton's inexperience which made me wonder a bit about prior and subsequent achievements.
The size of the team was impressive enabling the presence of surveillance technology to be fully investigated to prove its worth ... and only thinking outside the box enabled the connection to Milly Dowler three years down the line making one wonder what Bellfield and cohorts might be involved in that we'll never know about.