Author Topic: Won't be long now - BREXIT Day > 31 January 2020  (Read 18881 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Won't be long now - BREXIT Day > 31 January 2020
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »
I provided a cite as per forum rules.

Labour returned to power in a landslide electoral victory in May 1997. A second Scottish devolution referendum was held later that year, as promised in the Labour election manifesto.[6] Clear majorities expressed support for both a devolved Scottish Parliament (74.3% in favour) and that Parliament having the power to vary the basic rate of income tax (63.5% in favour).[6] The Scotland Act 1998 established the new Scottish Parliament, first elected on 6 May 1999,[7] with power to legislate on unreserved matters within Scotland.

In January 2012, the UK government offered to legislate to provide the Scottish Parliament with the powers to hold a referendum, providing it was "fair, legal and decisive".

Negotiations continued between the two governments until October 2012, when the Edinburgh Agreement was reached.

In January 2012, Labour MSP Elaine Murray led a debate arguing that the franchise should be extended to Scots living outside Scotland, including the approximately 800,000 living in the other parts of the UK.[38] This was opposed by the Scottish government, which argued that it would greatly increase the complexity of the referendum and stated that there was evidence from the United Nations Human Rights Committee that other nations "might question the legitimacy of a referendum if the franchise is not territorial"

In the House of Lords, Baroness Symons argued that the rest of the UK should be allowed to vote on Scottish independence, on the grounds that it would affect the whole country. This argument was rejected by the UK government, as the Advocate General for Scotland Lord Wallace said that "whether or not Scotland should leave the United Kingdom is a matter for Scotland".[38] Wallace also pointed to the fact that only two of 11 referendums since 1973 had been across all of the United Kingdom.[38] Professor John Curtice cited the precedent of the Northern Ireland sovereignty referendum of 1973 (the "border poll"), which allowed only those resident in a part of the UK to vote on its sovereignty

The Scottish Independence Referendum Act 2013 set out the arrangements for the referendum and was passed by the Scottish Parliament in November 2013, following an agreement between the devolved Scottish government and the Government of the United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Scottish_independence_referendum

The UK parliament collaborated and discussed every aspect of the referendum from first to last.

Allow me to reiterate ...
"You are wrong that it was the Scottish Government which prevented ex-pats from voting in the referendum.
The UK government also vetoed the proposal."
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2019, 09:13:26 PM »
Judging by what was written it looks like the Scottish Government was definitely opposed to anyone other than Scottish residents being allowed to vote.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2019, 09:59:54 PM »
Judging by what was written it looks like the Scottish Government was definitely opposed to anyone other than Scottish residents being allowed to vote.

You asked for a cite.  I gave you one proving that nothing was done without negotiation and that nothing was agreed without the UK government being hand in glove with it.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Erngath

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2019, 10:58:04 PM »
I think people might be heartily sick of the wingeing, to be honest.

Which people are heartily sick of  whose " whingeing" ?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:10:39 PM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2019, 11:19:19 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3839067/Once-whingeing-Scots-Nats-demanding-independence-vote-Bring-says-LEO-MCKINSTRY.html

That article is three years old!
Guess he will be moaning even more by now. (&^&

The is the type of anti Scottish bilge which increase the desire for independence.
I will be sharing it on a few social media sites.
Thanks for posting it.

My daughter in law who helps campaign for the SNP belongs to a photography club.
She and other members were discussing the possibility of another referendum.
To her surprise two of the members who are English but have lived here for many years voiced their support for it and will be voting yes !

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2019, 01:22:20 PM »

The is the type of anti Scottish bilge which increase the desire for independence.
Thanks for posting it.

My daughter in law who helps campaign for the SNP belongs to a photography club.
To her surprise two of the members who are English but have lived here for many years voiced their support for it and will be voting yes !

OH Bit of an own goal there then. Those  true blue bloodied Scots (aka second-third generation Irish immigrants) voting for independence are happy to let ENGLIGH people vote for independence even if it shouts down actual Scots   "chats we despise the Engerelish but we want the sisters in laws friends to vote against the Scottish we despise. @)(++(* @)(++(*

Seriously, talk about not wanting what you want.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline misty

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2019, 01:36:23 PM »
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1220232/Brussels-chaos-Spain-Poland-EU-Brexit-Spaxit-Vox-ECJ-latest-newsq

SNP would do well to pause & take stock of a potential implosion of the EU before demanding another vote for independence.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 01:40:43 PM by misty »

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2019, 02:18:57 PM »
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1220232/Brussels-chaos-Spain-Poland-EU-Brexit-Spaxit-Vox-ECJ-latest-newsq

SNP would do well to pause & take stock of a potential implosion of the EU before demanding another vote for independence.

It was bound to happen!  Too many unelected people, on a gravy chain whos word is bond  has NOTHING to do with democracy. As we have witnessed here in Scotland snd the UK.

1. Scottish people voted to stay in the UK- SNP didn't like it and demands another vote a snub to democracy.
2. the UK people voted to leave the EU -SNP and others didn't like that and tried to stop it .

Here is the BIG question for SNP.

why do you rant about the 'english' you do not want the English Government (elected) to rule over you, but want an unelected foreign power do that?  SERIOUSLY?

AND what will you do for the monetary demands to join the EU AND what if they insist on a hard border with England.

The meat and gravy of the Independence vote.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2019, 02:36:04 PM »

Thanks for posting it.

I thought it was anti-wingeing, not anti-Scottish.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2019, 04:27:11 PM »

Scotland is leaving the EU.
Whether we ever rejoin is open to question and a very long way away.
Whether the EU implodes or not, the question of Independence will remain
In my opinion both the labour and conservative parties have lost many voters here because  they are seen to be moving further to the left and right respectively.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2019, 04:34:15 PM »

OH Bit of an own goal there then. Those  true blue bloodied Scots (aka second-third generation Irish immigrants) voting for independence are happy to let ENGLIGH people vote for independence even if it shouts down actual Scots   "chats we despise the Engerelish but we want the sisters in laws friends to vote against the Scottish we despise. @)(++(* @)(++(*

Seriously, talk about not wanting what you want.

Another unpleasant post by you.
Your constant references to second and third generation Irish immigrants who consider themselves Scots and wish to vote for Independence does show a streak of bigotry.
True colours shining through again.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2019, 04:37:05 PM »
It was bound to happen!  Too many unelected people, on a gravy chain whos word is bond  has NOTHING to do with democracy. As we have witnessed here in Scotland snd the UK.

1. Scottish people voted to stay in the UK- SNP didn't like it and demands another vote a snub to democracy.
2. the UK people voted to leave the EU -SNP and others didn't like that and tried to stop it .

Here is the BIG question for SNP.

why do you rant about the 'english' you do not want the English Government (elected) to rule over you, but want an unelected foreign power do that?  SERIOUSLY?

AND what will you do for the monetary demands to join the EU AND what if they insist on a hard border with England.

The meat and gravy of the Independence vote.

You are so out of touch.
You equate the desire for independence and the dissatisfaction with Westminster politics to hatred of English people.
How pathetic!

Offline misty

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »

Scotland is leaving the EU.
Whether we ever rejoin is open to question and a very long way away.
Whether the EU implodes or not, the question of Independence will remain
In my opinion both the labour and conservative parties have lost many voters here because  they are seen to be moving further to the left and right respectively.

Kosovo has been waiting 11 years to join the EU as some member states don't recognise it as an independent country. Is membership of the EU more important than the Union to Scottish voters as the calls for another Indy referendum suggest that's the case?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2019, 05:29:37 PM »
Kosovo has been waiting 11 years to join the EU as some member states don't recognise it as an independent country. Is membership of the EU more important than the Union to Scottish voters as the calls for another Indy referendum suggest that's the case?

I don't believe it is .
I think the dislike of Westminster politics and of both current labour and conservative  parties is the driving force for Independence.
I know many Scots now consider that we have no control of our own future.
We get whatever the rest of the UK choose.