Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 17178 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Brexit
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2020, 06:18:29 PM »
It seems the EU isn't as wonderful as the propagandists portrayed it. The cracks are beginning to show as the UK determinedly pursue their democratically chosen course.
Which propagandists are you referring to?  And what cracks?  Why I wonder is staunch right-wing nationalist Marine LePen now pro-EU, any idea?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2020, 07:25:59 PM »
Which propagandists are you referring to?  And what cracks?  Why I wonder is staunch right-wing nationalist Marine LePen now pro-EU, any idea?

Have you forgotten the claims already?

Alarmist claims that London’s famous Square Mile — which generates a quarter of UK wealth — would shut down and move to Paris or Frankfurt proved false.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13468063/no-deal-brexit-leave-eu-in-shreds-not-britain/
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2020, 07:54:47 PM »
Have you forgotten the claims already?

Alarmist claims that London’s famous Square Mile — which generates a quarter of UK wealth — would shut down and move to Paris or Frankfurt proved false.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13468063/no-deal-brexit-leave-eu-in-shreds-not-britain/
That quote doesn’t support your previous statement about propagandists claiming the EU is wonderful, nor that the cracks are beginning to show.  So I ask again, which propagandists are you referring to and what cracks?

PS talking of propaganda, I would class your cite as propaganda personally.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2020, 07:34:48 PM »
Hmmm?

Is the govt concerned about the impact of no deal Brexit on food prices and shortages of some products?

Chair of Tesco warns prices could rise by 5%, with 2 months of shortages. @Foodanddrinkfed
 says no deal would be “catastrophic.”

Dominic Raab told me “we’re going to be fine”

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1338462532407857152

Raab says, in the event of a no deal, a price increase due to tariffs would only amount to less than 2%. Erm, not that simple (tariffs vary hugely depending on what foodstuffs /beverages).

However, he is correct to say that FX, etc, will also have an impact. He doesn't mention the cost of the enormous amount red tape... that doesn't come for free.

I don't think he's correct to say that 50% of food "comes from the UK", 20% from the rest of the world and 30% from the EU. Methinks a bit of fudging there.

Two weeks left until Brexit officially kicks in, and still no one knows what the hell they're supposed to actually prepare for, let alone how.

I feel most sorry for the little mom and pop businesses.

I feel sorry for the French farmers and fisher persons  oh wait.... Nah fx that. They got a great deal , they don't own the UK some would have you believe they didn't hold up a WHITE flag in the second world war  and it wasn't the allies including the UK which saved them...

Re: the club membership scenario, when you do leave and want to stay friends it is not for the club owners to demand you keep paying your Membership Fee or have access to your bank  account!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2020, 07:38:31 PM »
Hmmm?

Is the govt concerned about the impact of no deal Brexit on food prices and shortages of some products?

Chair of Tesco warns prices could rise by 5%, with 2 months of shortages. @Foodanddrinkfed
 says no deal would be “catastrophic.”

Dominic Raab told me “we’re going to be fine”

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1338462532407857152

Raab says, in the event of a no deal, a price increase due to tariffs would only amount to less than 2%. Erm, not that simple (tariffs vary hugely depending on what foodstuffs /beverages).

However, he is correct to say that FX, etc, will also have an impact. He doesn't mention the cost of the enormous amount red tape... that doesn't come for free.

I don't think he's correct to say that 50% of food "comes from the UK", 20% from the rest of the world and 30% from the EU. Methinks a bit of fudging there.

Two weeks left until Brexit officially kicks in, and still no one knows what the hell they're supposed to actually prepare for, let alone how.

I feel most sorry for the little mom and pop businesses.

You may have missed or not bothered to read the UK GOV assistance web page on how to prepare for  No deal or any deal for businesses and consumers.  That's OK because it would spoil your doom 'we're all gonna die 'agenda.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2020, 08:51:46 AM »

I feel sorry for the French farmers and fisher persons  oh wait.... Nah fx that. They got a great deal , they don't own the UK some would have you believe they didn't hold up a WHITE flag in the second world war  and it wasn't the allies including the UK which saved them...

Re: the club membership scenario, when you do leave and want to stay friends it is not for the club owners to demand you keep paying your Membership Fee or have access to your bank  account!

In my opinion it's only now that the true situation is emerging. It seems that the EU fear that UK businesses will undercut European businesses unless they are hampered by still being subject to EU laws. The EU fishing industry will contract without free access to UK waters but so did the UK fishing industry when Heath handed over our waters without any protection for our fishermen. What goes around comes around. 
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2020, 11:28:20 PM »
In my opinion it's only now that the true situation is emerging. It seems that the EU fear that UK businesses will undercut European businesses unless they are hampered by still being subject to EU laws. The EU fishing industry will contract without free access to UK waters but so did the UK fishing industry when Heath handed over our waters without any protection for our fishermen. What goes around comes around.
I understood that many English fishermen  sold their quotas to European fishermen in the 1990s and that currently 50+% of quotas are foreign-owned so are we just going to steal back what was legally sold or what?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2020, 11:51:43 PM »
I understood that many English fishermen  sold their quotas to European fishermen in the 1990s and that currently 50+% of quotas are foreign-owned so are we just going to steal back what was legally sold or what?

Only if the quotas still exist. The EU may not have the power to impose quotas after January 1st 2021 if they continue to make unrealistic demands. The most likely outcome in my opinion is that there will be an agreed gradual change rather than an abrupt one.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2020, 11:56:45 PM »
Only if the quotas still exist. The EU may not have the power to impose quotas after January 1st 2021 if they continue to make unrealistic demands. The most likely outcome in my opinion is that there will be an agreed gradual change rather than an abrupt one.
obviously.

Offline G-Unit

Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2020, 02:15:12 PM »
Macron's unilateral actions against the UK seem to be at an end now thankfully.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2020, 03:00:15 PM »
Macron's unilateral actions against the UK seem to be at an end now thankfully.
It's given us a good taste of what to expect in a couple of weeks time (and for longer than a couple of days) if we don't get a deal. 

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2020, 10:20:45 PM »
It's given us a good taste of what to expect in a couple of weeks time (and for longer than a couple of days) if we don't get a deal.

I don't think Macron will get away with closing France's borders again. His EU partners weren't impressed, nor were the French and Polish lorry drivers stuck in that queue.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2020, 07:50:19 AM »
I don't think Macron will get away with closing France's borders again. His EU partners weren't impressed, nor were the French and Polish lorry drivers stuck in that queue.
We’ve got a deal, now all that remains to be seen is how much each side has conceded....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2020, 08:26:44 AM »
We’ve got a deal, now all that remains to be seen is how much each side has conceded....

I thought the French were still wingeing about fish?
Result = happy posting.