Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 235285 times)

Redblossom

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »
The thing you have to remember to is that different dogs trained on cadaver residue will react to different odours. Some are trained on real corpses in America while British dogs might have been trained on others forms of dead cellular human material.  Point I am making is that one dog might react to something while another dog won't do so.  I would love to see this put to test some day and then we would know just how good or bad these canines are.
Eddie was trained on pigs and had extra  training on humans in america

debunker

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 05:47:17 AM »
What is not made clear is the difference in odor between Pork prepared for food which is carefully treated to avoid offensive odors and pig flesh and other naturally decaying animal residue.

Food is usually kept well away from the intestines as soon as slaughter occurs and this reduces residual odors. It is quickly cleaned of all bacteria, drained of blood and chilled to keep it fit for consumption.

When Mr Grime declares that Eddie has not reacted to foodstuffs in 200 cases, this not exclude the possibility that if he came across dead animal residue, then he might well react to that.

Offline Lace

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »
What I am not convinced about is Grime saying Eddie can pick up the scent of death shortly after death has occurred.

How can he know this when scientists who are investigating what cadaver dogs smell, haven't come up with an actual time span between death and the scent the dogs will pick up?

Offline Lace

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
What is not made clear is the difference in odor between Pork prepared for food which is carefully treated to avoid offensive odors and pig flesh and other naturally decaying animal residue.

Food is usually kept well away from the intestines as soon as slaughter occurs and this reduces residual odors. It is quickly cleaned of all bacteria, drained of blood and chilled to keep it fit for consumption.

When Mr Grime declares that Eddie has not reacted to foodstuffs in 200 cases, this not exclude the possibility that if he came across dead animal residue, then he might well react to that.

Yet Mr. Grime said Eddie had reacted to pork that had been burnt.

It is all these things that Eddie will react to that confuses me.     Things that are 100's of years old etc.

Also the clothes that Eddie alerted to.    A small t.shirt??    nothing of Gerry's??   

Then there's Cuddle Cat Eddie played with it and didn't react,  then reacted when it was put in the cupboard.

ferryman

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »

But surely the reference to road kill does?

debunker

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »

It depends what he means by roadkill.

ferryman

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
The extra ordinary protectiveness of Martin Grime by some people has long been a source of great bafflement to me ...

Offline Carana

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »

I agree.

Grime hasn't given any details of what he means by roadkill (which dead animals have been ignored, how long they have been dead, in which weather conditions... ).

ferryman

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »

I agree.

Grime hasn't given any details of what he means by roadkill (which dead animals have been ignored, how long they have been dead, in which weather conditions... ).

All of them.

And unless there is something particular about the death-scent of an animal struck and killed by a car (I can't think that there is!) animals that have just died of natural causes or have been killed (but not eaten) by other animals ...

Offline devils advocate

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »
If you ask me he makes it up as he goes along.   It's not as if there is any government directive of standard which these practitioners have to abide by.    They are not members of any recognised association or qualified as court experts so what status exactly do they have?

Redblossom

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
What I am not convinced about is Grime saying Eddie can pick up the scent of death shortly after death has occurred.

How can he know this when scientists who are investigating what cadaver dogs smell, haven't come up with an actual time span between death and the scent the dogs will pick up?

Perhaps he established it during his training of them. Perhaps scientists have not set up such a study.

As for what Mr Grime means by roadkill, ie dead animals, to me this means Eddie did not react to any other dead animal seeing as he was trained on pigs and humans, other dead animals having a different scent and he was trained to exclude all other scents

Devilsadvocate, of course, if you think he makes it up as he goes along, thats your prerogative, would seem a pretty poor strategy to me if he were out to deceive or exaggerate

icabodcrane

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2013, 10:39:24 PM »

Perhaps he established it during his training of them. Perhaps scientists have not set up such a study.

As for what Mr Grime means by roadkill, ie dead animals, to me this means Eddie did not react to any other dead animal seeing as he was trained on pigs and humans, other dead animals having a different scent and he was trained to exclude all other scents

Devilsadvocate, of course, if you think he makes it up as he goes along, thats your prerogative, would seem a pretty poor strategy to me if he were out to deceive or exaggerate

It would call into question the Law Enforcement Agencies who routuinely paid Mr Grime and his dogs ĢI,000 a day plus expenses out of public money

I guess the professionals must have been considerably more impressed with his results than some of the self proclaimed experts here

registrar

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2013, 10:41:40 PM »
My antennae re Grime and the pooches went into overdrive when we were being told:

that Eddie and Keela dined on salmon (unlike their poor PT canine colleagues)
were insured for quasillions
earned as much per day (FOR THEIR HANDLER) as a Chief Constable in England

That was pure hyperbole - we, the great unwashed were being primed very early on to accept anything that
Grime/Levy/Amaral came up with regarding the dogs and their alleged findings.

All terribly blown away when Grime failed so spectacularly in Jersey.

ferryman

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »

It would call into question the Law Enforcement Agencies who routuinely paid Mr Grime and his dogs ĢI,000 a day plus expenses out of public money

I guess the professionals must have been considerably more impressed with his results than some of the self proclaimed experts here

I wonder whether the island of Jersey reckons its money was well spent?

And whether they are grateful for the discount Mr Grime, apparently, gave them?

I'll bet Grime has not earnt anything like the money since ...

registrar

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 10:47:36 PM »

I wonder whether the island of Jersey reckons its money was well spent?

And whether they are grateful for the discount Mr Grime, apparently, gave them?

I'll bet Grime has not earnt anything like the money since ...

snap  8)-)))