Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 220824 times)

Offline misty

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2016, 07:33:09 PM »
I haven't got a clue what you mean, sorry. I replied to your post which was quite clear. It was factually incorrect and it unsuccessfully attempted to relate the story quoted to the McCanns. Glad you liked it though.  @)(++(*

I'm at a loss to understand why you so readily dismiss the existence of a GNR report into a series of thefts from hotels on the Algarve when SY stated that burglary was one line of enquiry being pursued. Perhaps the names of suspects in that report lead to bigger fish abroad but any investigation could be compromised as a result of this leak.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2016, 10:01:46 PM »
I'm at a loss to understand why you so readily dismiss the existence of a GNR report into a series of thefts from hotels on the Algarve when SY stated that burglary was one line of enquiry being pursued. Perhaps the names of suspects in that report lead to bigger fish abroad but any investigation could be compromised as a result of this leak.

It seems there has been no official cover up regarding the leaking of sensitive documents ... the government is just refusing to divulge anything at all.

I think there may be a reluctance to look at the wider picture as far as Madeleine's disappearance is concerned in discussion on the internet. It all seems to be very one dimensional.  It is possible she could have been taken in isolation, it is also possible that organised crime could be involved.  We just don't know.

I think it is interesting that specific documents were asked for.  What interest would international espionage have in hotel thefts in the Algarve?  One would have thought ... not a lot.

There things going on in the background that we never hear about;  whether or not Madeleine's case could be compromised by these police documents being leaked will most likely never be known; but what an eclectic mix of information someone went to a lot of trouble and no doubt expense to get their hands on. 
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2016, 10:10:36 PM »

I commented, perhaps you didn't notice? People have hinted at their incompetence, but it seems they were on top of things after all.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline mercury

« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2016, 10:23:22 PM »
It seems there has been no official cover up regarding the leaking of sensitive documents ... the government is just refusing to divulge anything at all.

I think there may be a reluctance to look at the wider picture as far as Madeleine's disappearance is concerned in discussion on the internet. It all seems to be very one dimensional.  It is possible she could have been taken in isolation, it is also possible that organised crime could be involved.  We just don't know.

I think it is interesting that specific documents were asked for.  What interest would international espionage have in hotel thefts in the Algarve?  One would have thought ... not a lot.

There things going on in the background that we never hear about;  whether or not Madeleine's case could be compromised by these police documents being leaked will most likely never be known; but what an eclectic mix of information someone went to a lot of trouble and no doubt expense to get their hands on.

Bit biased and delusional at best

Offline Brietta

« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2016, 10:38:22 PM »

Apologies folks, entirely my fault but we are all off topic.  8)><(  We should have been discussing this on the 'discussion' thread.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline misty

« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2016, 10:42:29 PM »
Apologies folks, entirely my fault but we are all off topic.  8)><(  We should have been discussing this on the 'discussion' thread.

I posted the article here because it partly relates to the Algarve & there is no direct relation to the latest news on MM.

Offline misty

« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2016, 10:51:31 PM »
I commented, perhaps you didn't notice? People have hinted at their incompetence, but it seems they were on top of things after all.

9 years have since passed. That's a long period in which to prepare a report on information not readily available to Team Amaral in 2007 & very publicly highlighted by SY years later.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2016, 11:15:18 PM »
9 years have since passed. That's a long period in which to prepare a report on information not readily available to Team Amaral in 2007 & very publicly highlighted by SY years later.

When was the report written? It doesn't say. What period of time does it refer to? It doesn't say. There is no reason to assume it's anything to do with 2007 except speculation, unless I've missed something.
Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2016, 11:41:27 PM »
When was the report written? It doesn't say. What period of time does it refer to? It doesn't say. There is no reason to assume it's anything to do with 2007 except speculation, unless I've missed something.

It may not be anything to do with 2007 other than the coincidence of hotel thefts. However, you have to question why a GNR report on that matter should be with other such highly sensitive documents. Aren't you just a teensy bit curious?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »
I posted the article here because it partly relates to the Algarve & there is no direct relation to the latest news on MM.

I think your initial post is fine, Misty. The problem arises from the ensuing discussion which I led.  I should have taken that to the discussion thread so very much mea culpa.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »
The thrust of Donn's article which Misty posted for our information involved such a lot to get one's teeth into ...
    • real espionage ... with national and international implications
    • organised crime ... trafficking ~ drugs etc
    [/color]

So what was a diversion from that?
    My description of Portugal as a supposed "sleepy backwater"  &%+((£

May I respectfully point out, there are those who market Portugal as such.  May I also respectfully suggest that in future when criticising my posts, you first of all do some homework.

**snip
    Portugal’s lively capital, Lisbon, has one of the mildest climates in Western Europe and sits at the mouth of the great River Tagus. It is home to the monumental architecture of the Golden Age of Exploration, making it the perfect place from which to begin your own discovery of this historic land. After delving into its bustling streets and lesser-known quarters, the peace and quiet of the Serra de São Mamede to the north-east comes as a welcome contrast.

Relatively untouched by the passage of time, this is a land of golden, rolling hills, topped by glistening, fortified villages along the border with Spain.

A sleepy backwater, where you are transported back into the timeless traditions of deepest, rural Portugal.

https://www.inntravel.co.uk/holidays/journeys/portugal/an-alentejo-adventure

Whatever ... the important information contained in the post to which I was replying seems to have passed you by. http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6299.msg356275#msg356275 
    I think it is well worth perusing and even discussing to the exclusion of petty point scoring which imo does absolutely nothing to enhance the reputation of the forum.

Bearing in mind Portugal's long term history* why would we be surprised at any of it?
    It is hardly an earth shattering revelation now is it ? Just one more country like a lot of others.

*Going back to 15th Century not just the 20th century fascisti bit so beloved by some... 8(>((
    "Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline John

« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2016, 03:12:35 AM »
    Missing Dutch children found in Albufeira

By João Tavares and Rui Pando Gomes
    19 November 2016

Two 16-year-old Dutch children missing since Tuesday were found at 3pm Saturday at a hotel in Albufeira. Sam Bruijis and Femke Lucas will be handed over to the Judicial Police and, after some diligence, to the family.

Authorities will now try to understand the motivations for this escape for the two friends, who did not return home after another school day. The Dutch police, through video surveillance cameras, managed to establish that the minors boarded a plane that went to Malaga, Spain. Relatives had even gone to Malaga, where they have been distributing leaflets with photographs of the disappeared. They also launched several appeals on social networks, namely Facebook. The girls then passed through Marbella and entered Portugal.

On Friday night, the authorities received a tip off that Sam and Femke had been seen in Albufeira.  They were intercepted by the police yesterday and taken into protective custody.

http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/menores-holandesas-desaparecidas-encontradas-em-albufeira?ref=HP_Destaque
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 03:19:00 AM by John »
    A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
    Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »
    Interesting Judgement for the Supreme Court to ponder; EUR 60,000 is chickenfeed compared to EUR 500,000;

Portuguese journalist wins landmark case over freedom of expression

A Portuguese journalist condemned to pay €60,000 for an opinion article he wrote in 2006 has finally won what will undoubtedly become a landmark case for freedom of expression.

José Manuel Fernandes - formerly editor of Público (now publisher of news review website Observador) - was found guilty of defamation by the full gamut of Portuguese courts.

But the European Court of Human Rights has now ruled that these courts “exceeded their margin of appreciation” in maintaining Fernandes’ enormous indemnity - one which it pointed out was equivalent to a sum attributed over a death.

The State has thus been ordered to pay Fernandes €9,400 “plus expenses” within a three-month deadline from today.

It hasn’t been explained this way, but the “plus expenses” clause is likely to run to hefty sum, considering Fernandes has been fighting this judicial battle for the best part of a decade.

The article that started Fernandes’ litigation nightmare centred on a critique of the appointment of Noronha do Nascimento to head up the Supreme Tribunal of Justice.

Noronha do Nascimento took exception to being considered the personification of the “dark side of our justice system”, and took out a prosecution for defamation.

As Observador explains, the ECHR is available to any citizen who has exhausted the judicial means at their disposal and who feels their human rights have been violated.

And today the ECHR ruled in Fernandes’ favour, saying there was “no reasonable relationship of proportionality between the restriction of freedom of expression of the complainant and the objective pursued of protecting the good name of Noronha do Nascimento”.

For anyone following ‘freedom of expression’ cases - like that of former Maddie cop Gonçalo Amaral, or of currently jailed activist Maria de Lurdes (click here) - this ruling may well set a valid precedent over “reasonable relationship of proportionality”. The pity is that people have to fight so long to win it.
    http://portugalresident.com/portuguese-journalist-wins-landmark-case-over-freedom-of-expression
    Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2017, 10:19:28 PM »
    Interesting Judgement for the Supreme Court to ponder; EUR 60,000 is chickenfeed compared to EUR 500,000;

Portuguese journalist wins landmark case over freedom of expression

A Portuguese journalist condemned to pay €60,000 for an opinion article he wrote in 2006 has finally won what will undoubtedly become a landmark case for freedom of expression.

José Manuel Fernandes - formerly editor of Público (now publisher of news review website Observador) - was found guilty of defamation by the full gamut of Portuguese courts.

But the European Court of Human Rights has now ruled that these courts “exceeded their margin of appreciation” in maintaining Fernandes’ enormous indemnity - one which it pointed out was equivalent to a sum attributed over a death.

The State has thus been ordered to pay Fernandes €9,400 “plus expenses” within a three-month deadline from today.

It hasn’t been explained this way, but the “plus expenses” clause is likely to run to hefty sum, considering Fernandes has been fighting this judicial battle for the best part of a decade.

The article that started Fernandes’ litigation nightmare centred on a critique of the appointment of Noronha do Nascimento to head up the Supreme Tribunal of Justice.

Noronha do Nascimento took exception to being considered the personification of the “dark side of our justice system”, and took out a prosecution for defamation.

As Observador explains, the ECHR is available to any citizen who has exhausted the judicial means at their disposal and who feels their human rights have been violated.

And today the ECHR ruled in Fernandes’ favour, saying there was “no reasonable relationship of proportionality between the restriction of freedom of expression of the complainant and the objective pursued of protecting the good name of Noronha do Nascimento”.

For anyone following ‘freedom of expression’ cases - like that of former Maddie cop Gonçalo Amaral, or of currently jailed activist Maria de Lurdes (click here) - this ruling may well set a valid precedent over “reasonable relationship of proportionality”. The pity is that people have to fight so long to win it.
    http://portugalresident.com/portuguese-journalist-wins-landmark-case-over-freedom-of-expression

Journalists enjoy a greater freedom of speech than normal citizens under ECHR rules.
    Amaral was either a member of the public when he wrote his book or an ex-cop breaching judicial secrecy. It will be interesting to see which way the STJ judge swings.

Offline jassi

« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2017, 01:08:34 PM »
    I thought there were several of these judges. Surely they won't all be swingers .
    I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
    I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
    I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future