Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 220857 times)

Offline ShiningInLuz

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2017, 09:56:40 PM »
http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/ministra-do-mar-afasta-cenario-de-proibicao-de-pesca-da-sardinha-durante-15-anos?ref=HP_Grupo1

Minister of the Sea Ana Paula Vitorino has declared that the idea of a 15 year ban on sardine fishing is nonsense.  Instead, stocks are to be managed alongside fellow sardine munchers Spain.

No doubt Sr Amaral will be delighted by this news.   8((()*/
What's up, old man?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »
http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/alerta-cm-incendio-consome-dois-armazens-junto-a-centro-comercial-no-algarve?ref=HP_Destaque

A fire is raging at a warehouse in Guia, which is a popular shopping centre to the east of us, beside the N125.

Why does this interest me?  Well, we are in the forest-fire season, and the north of Portugal is struggling with major fire after major fire.  There is also news of a 50 year old tw*t who deliberately started a fire because she thought the bombeiros in action was exciting.

When we hauled up in Portugal, we used to visit a rather aging shopping complex just off the N125 in Portimão.  Although a bit tired, it had all the shops one could want in easy walking distance.  Then one day, for whatever reason, the whole complex burned down.

The warehouse fire is odd.  It stocks granite and marble, which simply should not burn.

Houses in the Algarve are not normally fitted with either smoke detectors or sprinklers.  I cannot say about hotels.  We have a fire extinguisher in our home, but as it has never been tested in the three and a half years we have been here, I haven't got a clue as to whether it works or not.

It is all tinder-dry here as the result of several months of hot sun and zero rain.  But how a marble and granite warehouse goes ablaze is puzzling.
What's up, old man?

Offline John

« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2017, 12:49:11 AM »
Forest fires can be so unpredictable, they can change direction in an instant throwing the rescue services into total disarray.  Never to be underestimated.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2017, 03:14:20 PM »
Police looking for missing English child on Luz beach
JULY 27, 2017
14:49

The English boy disappeared early in the afternoon

A child of English nationality has been missing since early afternoon on Praia da Luz in Lagos, Algarve, and police are investigating her whereabouts, police source Lusa told The Associated Press.

Speaking to the Lusa news agency, the Captain of the Port of Lagos, Conceição Duarte, indicated that the Maritime Police had been informed of the disappearance of the child, a boy of English nationality, and had made diligences in the vicinity of the beach.

According to Conceição Duarte, the disappearance occurred in the village and not on the beach, resulting in the operation by the National Republican Guard (GNR).

The Lusa agency tried to obtain information from the GNR, but so far it has not received any response.

However, an inhabitant of Praia da Luz told Lusa that the GNR is "knocking door to door in search of a child, who is said to be about eight years old."

It was at Praia da Luz that 10 years ago Maddie McCann disappeared, at the time three years. The whereabouts of the English girl were never discovered.
http://www.dn.pt/sociedade/interior/policia-procura-crianca-desaparecida-na-praia-da-luz-no-algarve-8667753.html?utm_source=Push&utm_medium=Web

I hope they find him quickly.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2017, 03:27:54 PM »
English child who was missing on Luz beach will have been found
JULY 27, 2017

The English boy will have about eight years

A child of English nationality disappeared early this afternoon at Praia da Luz in Lagos, Algarve, and authorities began searching for their whereabouts. According to a police source, the child has already been found.

Contacted by DN, GNR does not give information about the case.

http://www.dn.pt/sociedade/interior/policia-procura-crianca-desaparecida-na-praia-da-luz-no-algarve-8667753.html?utm_source=Push&utm_medium=Web

Panic over, thank goodness.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline misty

« Reply #185 on: July 27, 2017, 05:59:46 PM »
http://portugalresident.com/anger-as-young-welsh-woman-left-high-and-dry-in-portuguese-jail

Posted by PORTUGALPRESS on July 27, 2017

The family of a young Welsh woman “stuck in a Portuguese jail” since April are at their wits end.

25-year-old Sophie Grey will not be granted bail as she has no Portuguese permanent address or family links, explains Wales Online.

Her father Roger said she is not even sure what she is meant to have done.

“She’s in a cell with four other people. The first person she met that could speak English was a murderer”.

Desperate for help, Roger Gray has approached his local MP David Davies.

Davies has described Sophie’s situation as “manifestly unfair”.

The MP for Monmouth is in touch with the Portuguese ambassador and foreign secretary Boris Johnson.

Hopes are that Sophie will be released and allowed home before the trial - scheduled for September 22.

Davies told reporters that as far as he is concerned, Sophie is being discriminated against.

“The whole point of the European Arrest Warrant is to ensure that people can be released before they attend court. It’s built on fair play and this isn’t fair play”.

As to Grey’s crime, this appears to be being treated as an assault on police.

Said her father, Sophie was in Portugal visiting her boyfriend who became “involved in an altercation with police”.

She was not there at the time, but “became agitated with police at her partner’s arrest and was charged with assaulting a police officer”.

“Sophie is not a violent person”, he added. “She’s quite feisty and she’ll stand her ground but she’s just a normal person in her 20s that wants to get on with her life.”

Former police officer Davies said that he doesn’t “condone any behaviour against the police but it’s manifestly unfair that she’s been in prison for something like that.

“If this happened in London, if she came up and yelled at an officer, they would have told her to calm down. If she continued she might have got a public order offence but it would have been a fairly minor crime.”

Roger Graey’s concerns are for his daughter’s well.being.

She is only allowed out of her cell into a concrete yard for two hours a day.

“Things are going backwards”, he told Wales Online. “At first we were told we would get her out in a couple of weeks, and home within a month, and it hasn’t happened”.

Sophie, who had been working in France, is “resigned to where she is”, he said, and “just trying to keep out of trouble”.

This appears to be the first time the story has surfaced, despite Sophie Grey’s arrest so many weeks ago. The BBC has since picked it up, so with any luck, developments may follow.

Roger Grey has told reporters that he did in fact find a place for his daughter to stay as she awaited the trial date, but “as there was not a family member living there, police feared she could abscond”.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you know that Cristovao, charged with multiple crimes, is out & about in the community, the above case makes the Portuguese justice system even more of a laughing stock. The McCanns were right to employ lawyers immediately.

Offline misty

« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2017, 06:06:52 PM »
English child who was missing on Luz beach will have been found
JULY 27, 2017

The English boy will have about eight years

A child of English nationality disappeared early this afternoon at Praia da Luz in Lagos, Algarve, and authorities began searching for their whereabouts. According to a police source, the child has already been found.

Contacted by DN, GNR does not give information about the case.

Panic over, thank goodness.

http://portugalresident.com/british-child-reported-%E2%80%9Cmissing-from-praia-da-luz%E2%80%9D
UPDATE:

Correio da Manhã is now 'on the ground' following up this story, and it appears the child was missing for as many as five hours.

He was apparently on a walk with his parents, on the promontory below the trigonometry point above the beach, when he went missing.

His parents were "beside themselves with panic" when they realised they had lost sight of him, and after looking for him on their own, went to report his disappearance to police.

Around the same time - though we are not told exactly where - a 65-year-old British man "found" the child, and not knowing what to do with him, took him to Lagos PSP police station.

CM says police are still trying to work out exactly what happened.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

===================================================================

It's a little worrying that he seems to have gone in a vehicle with an elderly man along the coast to Lagos.

ETA The trig point would appear to be the obelisk, to where Kate & Gerry jogged up the cliff path. I'm not sure at what part of the headland the parents would have lost sight of their son.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:29:14 PM by misty »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/833796/boy-missing-Praia-Da-Luz-Madeleine-McCann-missing-2007

This report goes into quite a bit more detail about the event, the timings and the police response.

If correct, the response procedure has had a major overhaul since May 2007.  It says that the GNR was in Luz 10 minutes after the alarm call, and a team from Lisbon was already heading to Luz when the boy was taken to Lagos PSP station.

Two points in this story are intriguing.

First, there is really only one way down that hill until you get to the bottom, so the boy must have disappeared when Luz opens up into a rabbit warren on the flat ground down there.

Second, why the 'finder' man did not simply phone the police is puzzling.  Perhaps he thought the emergency services would not speak English.  Mind you, he knew where the Lagos PSP station was, while I would have to look it up.

One very minor point.  Most people call Luz 'Praia da Luz', even Portuguese locals.  This may be one of those situations when misnaming it led to a bit of confusion.  An initial report had the boy disappearing from the beach (praia) whereas the Express version is quite different.

But all's well that ends well.  8((()*/
What's up, old man?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2017, 09:00:25 AM »
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/833796/boy-missing-Praia-Da-Luz-Madeleine-McCann-missing-2007

This report goes into quite a bit more detail about the event, the timings and the police response.

If correct, the response procedure has had a major overhaul since May 2007.  It says that the GNR was in Luz 10 minutes after the alarm call, and a team from Lisbon was already heading to Luz when the boy was taken to Lagos PSP station.

Two points in this story are intriguing.

First, there is really only one way down that hill until you get to the bottom, so the boy must have disappeared when Luz opens up into a rabbit warren on the flat ground down there.

Second, why the 'finder' man did not simply phone the police is puzzling.  Perhaps he thought the emergency services would not speak English.  Mind you, he knew where the Lagos PSP station was, while I would have to look it up.

One very minor point.  Most people call Luz 'Praia da Luz', even Portuguese locals.  This may be one of those situations when misnaming it led to a bit of confusion.  An initial report had the boy disappearing from the beach (praia) whereas the Express version is quite different.

But all's well that ends well.  8((()*/

The Ponta Negra confused me as it's in Brazil. Isn't it the Rocha Negra in PdL?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2017, 11:33:08 AM »
When you know that Cristovao, charged with multiple crimes, is out & about in the community, the above case makes the Portuguese justice system even more of a laughing stock. The McCanns were right to employ lawyers immediately.

I was just thinking that myself and the fact that certain PJ officers found guilty of criminal acts never spent a single minute in jail.  It appears that even today, people are dealt with by the Portuguese justice system according to their status and not in terms of their alleged crime.

The manner in which this Welsh girl has been treated is Portugal's shame.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:38:59 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline jassi

« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »
I suppose much depends upon the actual crime. Portugal might have a very lenient policy regarding prison sentencing  compared with some other countries.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Online Eleanor

« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
I suppose much depends upon the actual crime. Portugal might have a very lenient policy regarding prison sentencing  compared with some other countries.

Especially for PJ Officers.  But hardly for The Ciprianos.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »
Without knowing all the circumstances, this superficially may be the case.

Two years for illegally disposing of a dead body sounds incredibly light to me.
What's up, old man?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2017, 12:25:27 PM »
Without knowing all the circumstances, this superficially may be the case.

Two years for illegally disposing of a dead body sounds incredibly light to me.

Is it a common practice in Portugal to dispose of a dead body?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »
Is it a common practice in Portugal to dispose of a dead body?
Try the Lisbon case. 
What's up, old man?