Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 220876 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #300 on: April 17, 2019, 11:29:18 AM »
The PJ have located Sofia Gil in Lisbon, at the home of a friend from her old school in that area.  So unlikely to be paedofilia but rather her 5th time of running away from home.

Good news that she has turned up hopefully safe and well.

I think it is a prime example though of one of the missing children allegedly disadvantaged by the search for Madeleine McCann.

Statistically she was missing.
Theoretically she is a child ... although I think she would probably argue that point.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #301 on: April 23, 2019, 09:26:10 AM »
The GNR have been conducting Operation Páscoa (Easter) over the weekend, on main roads across Portugal.  On Easter Sunday/Monday, they registered 7 deaths due to traffic accidents.  5 of these were motorcyclists.  The accidents were unrelated, with differing causes.

https://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/pascoa-tragica-na-estrada-mata-cinco-motociclistas?ref=HP_DestaqueLateral

One of the motorbike deaths was a 32 year-old bombeiro, who died in a collision with a car on a road in Lagos.  The Lagos bombeiros are reported to be in shock.  The man leaves behind 2 young sons.

I have no idea as to whether there is a culture in Portugal of going out for a bike ride at Easter, or whether this news is a statistical coincidence.
What's up, old man?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #302 on: April 23, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
bombeiro m (plural bombeiros, feminine bombeira, feminine plural bombeiras)

firefighter (person trained to extinguish fires and undertake rescue operations)
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #303 on: April 30, 2019, 11:46:03 AM »
https://www.cmjornal.pt/exclusivos/detalhe/agressoes-e-ameacas-dias-antes-de-morte-de-dono-de-bar-em-aljezur?ref=HP_Destaque

This is news about the killing of a cafe owner in Alzejur.  He was shot to death.  There had been an altercation in his bar a few days before the killing. It was caught on the cafe's CCTV.

Alzejur is quite a short distance up the EN120 from where we live now.  However, we have never actually visited it, so I can only rely on Google Earth and Google Streetview.

The other snippet of information I can give was that Alzejur was a favoured summer holiday location for David Cameron, back in the days when he was PM.  My most recent info (not really recent) is that it still is.

You may well get more information on this news story if you Google it, along with Natasha Donn.  She should have covered the story, in English.

The link I have given has 5 photos. 

It also comes up with another snippet of information.  The 'suspect' was heard yesterday by the Tribunal of Lagos.  I didn't know a Tribunal of Lagos existed.  The photo shows the alleged suspect leaving freely after the hearing.  He does not appear to be in detention.
What's up, old man?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #304 on: May 02, 2019, 03:13:24 PM »
https://mag.sapo.pt/tv/atualidade-tv/artigos/onde-esta-madeleine-mccann-vem-ai-um-novo-documentario-sobre-o-desaparecimento-mais-mediatico-do-seculo

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better place to park this, but as I am on the Algarve ...  blame Portuguese parking.

ID - Investigation Discovery - is airing a 2 hour special on MBM at 11pm on 26 May 2019.

Let me dissect that.

ID appears to be US, so I have no idea what time zone 11pm relates to.  Equally, I have no idea if I can get ID directly, or whether it flogs content to other channels.

SAPO is a Portuguese organisation.  Perhaps that means 11pm in Portuguese time, which is identical to UK time.  I have no idea whether I can get SAPO or not.

If you are interested, you might wish to do a scan in your location.
What's up, old man?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #305 on: May 02, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »
https://mag.sapo.pt/tv/atualidade-tv/artigos/onde-esta-madeleine-mccann-vem-ai-um-novo-documentario-sobre-o-desaparecimento-mais-mediatico-do-seculo

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better place to park this, but as I am on the Algarve ...  blame Portuguese parking.

ID - Investigation Discovery - is airing a 2 hour special on MBM at 11pm on 26 May 2019.

Let me dissect that.

ID appears to be US, so I have no idea what time zone 11pm relates to.  Equally, I have no idea if I can get ID directly, or whether it flogs content to other channels.

SAPO is a Portuguese organisation.  Perhaps that means 11pm in Portuguese time, which is identical to UK time.  I have no idea whether I can get SAPO or not.

If you are interested, you might wish to do a scan in your location.

It seems to be based on the Netflix documentary ... I wonder if it will air there?  I see the trailer is punting George the gypsy.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline misty

« Reply #306 on: May 16, 2019, 11:21:56 PM »
https://www.portugalresident.com/2019/05/16/devastated-family-accuse-authorities-of-trying-to-dismiss-unexplained-death-as-a-nothing/

By portugalresident  2019-05-16 Posted  2019-05-16  InTop Stories 
Devastated family accuse authorities of trying to dismiss unexplained death as “a nothing”
 Devastated family accuse authorities of trying to dismiss unexplained death as “a nothing”
A devastated family whose loved-one died in a bizarre accident on the A2 motorway near Silves earlier this year has appealed for further information.

The grandparents of 22-year-old Vivi Zachmann – run-over by a car after apparently running along the motorway after dark – do not believe they have been given the full story.

Media reports at the time suggested Vivi had been drinking with two other men (click here).

The trio were apparently in a car, travelling north, which pulled over to the side of the road for the driver to urinate.

The suggestion is that Vivi then got involved in a discussion that led her to leave the car and run down the tarmac “erratically”, causing a car to fatally hit her.

But in the absence of a toxicology report – or even official police report – the family are stumped.

Explains grandmother Dee Burbank, British by nationality: “For six weeks we have tried calling/writing to every consulate, (German/ British/ American/ Portuguese). We have written to the German Foreign Office, mayors, German/ Portuguese police authorities, etc to try and find out what the official investigation revealed.

“To date, we have nothing. No one is interested in giving us any information.

“We are devastated to think that our girl was just another number, a statistic, a nothing.

“We cannot understand that as family members no one will give us the time of day or any explanation”.

Dee Burbank described her granddaughters as a “first class student at a German University, studying Chinese” who had just returned from China after receiving a full scholarship to study there”.

The idea that she could have become so drunk as to end up on foot on a motorway simply does not gel with the family’s knowledge of their “beautiful, caring, intelligent” loved-one.

“As a sensible, organized and pragmatic young woman, we feel this is not something she would logically do. It all makes no sense to us”, said Vivi’s grandmother.

The family – especially Vivi’s heartbroken single-parent father – want ‘answers’, at the very least clarity.

At this point, “we have no idea if she was intoxicated or if she was trying to escape a bad situation”, said Dee Burbank.

A call to the accident department of Albufeira GNR elicited limited information.

Vivi was already dead by the time agents and emergency response got to the scene, so it would be impossible to say exactly what caused her to be in the middle of the motorway, said a source.

“We cannot help with the toxicology results, as these will be held by the Tribunal of Albufeira”, said a spokesman, putting us through to the agent who had apparently been one of the first on the scene on that tragic night of April 2.

The agent confirmed that Vivi was found “in the middle of the highway” and that “the whole situation was very complicated”.

“There were no witnesses”, he explained. “All we had to go on were the accounts of the boyfriend who we found further up the motorway, and the driver.

“The driver that hit the young woman was not even aware he had hit a human being until after he stopped his car”.

The agent agreed “it is very easy to understand that the family is upset and thinking that maybe there is more to this than we know. Maybe there is…”

He did give pointers as to how to expedite the autopsy report – which will include details that should show whether Vivi was under the influence of any substances.

Thus for now this desperately sad mystery remains ‘unclarified’ – and the family will continue pressing for answers.

Said Vivi’s grandmother: “It took thirty days before we could receive our child to bury her. We were unable to view her or give her kiss”.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #307 on: May 16, 2019, 11:26:33 PM »
Shocking but not surprising.  8(8-))
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline misty

« Reply #308 on: May 16, 2019, 11:38:53 PM »
This story is even worse. I'm only surprised the court didn't jail the wife as it was clearly all her fault. %77*

https://www.portugalresident.com/2019/05/13/suspended-sentence-for-drink-drive-dad-found-guilty-of-causing-baby-daughters-death/
By portugalresident  2019-05-13 Posted  2019-05-13  InPortugal 
Suspended sentence for drink-drive dad found guilty of causing baby daughter’s death
 Suspended sentence for drink-drive dad found guilty of causing baby daughter’s death
A 45-year-old truck driver father has found guilty of the negligent homicide of his two-year-old daughter following a ‘brutal accident’ which saw her ‘spat out of her baby-seat’, ending up crushed under the family car.

Judges in Évora heard how little Francisca Costa was travelling in a seat that was technically out of date safety-wise, and not restrained by the car’s seat belt.

When the Renault Clio skidded out of control on a dangerous bend in the early hours of the morning, there was nothing to save her.

She was literally ‘spat from the seat’, leaving marks of the seat’s restraints on her shoulders.

As the car rolled over and over, somehow the little girl’s body ended up underneath it.

Say reports today, it was a female firefighter, attending the scene, who discovered the body with the use of a torch

João Costa was driving ‘under the influence of alcohol’ and had been at a ‘baile’ (traditional dance) with his partner and elder daughter.

The evening had seen the parents ‘have a disagreement’, and it was in this context that they were driving home.

The tragedy however gets worse. It was not João Costa who put his child into the car without proper safety restraints, it was his wife – who hadn’t apparently been drinking.

Suffice it to say, the sentence delivered by judges confirmed an early court verdict of three years jail, suspended.

João Costa has also been banned from driving for 15 months, and ordered to pay a fine of 1,315 euros.

Tabloid Correio da Manhã says Costa’s partner had been seeking compensation of 300,000 euros, from Costa, his insurance and the Automobile Guarantee Fund, but the bid failed as she had been the one responsible for paying the car’s insurance, and it had lapsed through non-payment a month before.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #309 on: May 16, 2019, 11:53:48 PM »
What a tragedy, though I’m surprised to hear the man was drunk while driving as I had been led to believe all drink-drivers in Portugal were stupid Brits.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #310 on: May 17, 2019, 12:14:17 AM »
This story is even worse. I'm only surprised the court didn't jail the wife as it was clearly all her fault. %77*

https://www.portugalresident.com/2019/05/13/suspended-sentence-for-drink-drive-dad-found-guilty-of-causing-baby-daughters-death/
By portugalresident  2019-05-13 Posted  2019-05-13  InPortugal 
A 45-year-old truck driver father has found guilty of the negligent homicide of his two-year-old daughter following a ‘brutal accident’ which saw her ‘spat out of her baby-seat’, ending up crushed under the family car.

Judges in Évora heard how little Francisca Costa was travelling in a seat that was technically out of date safety-wise, and not restrained by the car’s seat belt.

When the Renault Clio skidded out of control on a dangerous bend in the early hours of the morning, there was nothing to save her.

She was literally ‘spat from the seat’, leaving marks of the seat’s restraints on her shoulders.

As the car rolled over and over, somehow the little girl’s body ended up underneath it.

Say reports today, it was a female firefighter, attending the scene, who discovered the body with the use of a torch

João Costa was driving ‘under the influence of alcohol’ and had been at a ‘baile’ (traditional dance) with his partner and elder daughter.

The evening had seen the parents ‘have a disagreement’, and it was in this context that they were driving home.

The tragedy however gets worse. It was not João Costa who put his child into the car without proper safety restraints, it was his wife – who hadn’t apparently been drinking.

Suffice it to say, the sentence delivered by judges confirmed an early court verdict of three years jail, suspended.

João Costa has also been banned from driving for 15 months, and ordered to pay a fine of 1,315 euros.

Tabloid Correio da Manhã says Costa’s partner had been seeking compensation of 300,000 euros, from Costa, his insurance and the Automobile Guarantee Fund, but the bid failed as she had been the one responsible for paying the car’s insurance, and it had lapsed through non-payment a month before.

Whilst I have no disagreement with your sentiment, do you realise that  Évora is nowhere near the Algarve?

Presumably I am now free to post every nasty story that originates in the UK.

Because I have had enough of this propaganda.

Trust me, if you want propaganda, I can make Clarence look like the office juniour.
What's up, old man?

Offline misty

« Reply #311 on: May 17, 2019, 12:47:08 AM »
Whilst I have no disagreement with your sentiment, do you realise that  Évora is nowhere near the Algarve?

Presumably I am now free to post every nasty story that originates in the UK.

Because I have had enough of this propaganda.

Trust me, if you want propaganda, I can make Clarence look like the office juniour.

I do know Evora is marginally closer to the Algarve than Lisbon.

Feel free to post what you want about UK justice. Drunken drivers who kill someone here tend to serve custodial sentences but  same cannot be said of those under the influence of drugs.
In both the stories I highlighted in Portugal, the Law has treated the victims & their families with disdain. Portugal is far from unique in that respect so please don't pretend otherwise.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #312 on: May 17, 2019, 10:06:15 AM »

Feel free to post what you want about UK justice. Drunken drivers who kill someone here tend to serve custodial sentences but  same cannot be said of those under the influence of drugs.
In both the stories I highlighted in Portugal, the Law has treated the victims & their families with disdain. Portugal is far from unique in that respect so please don't pretend otherwise.

Evora isn't in the Algarve so is off topic. The story is posted to damage the reputation of Portugal's justice system and for no other reason imo.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #313 on: May 17, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »

I didn't 'pretend' anything.

I pointed out that your post is clearly off-topic.  Which you have now admitted.
What's up, old man?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #314 on: May 17, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »
Has the Algarve adopted a Unilateral Declaration of Independence (UDI) while no-one was looking and adopted it's own Justice system independent of Portugal?

Is that why the hub of the renewed investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance from the Algarve was instituted and continues in the Northern city of Porto which is possibly as far removed from the influence of Lisbon and the South as is logistically possible?