Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 220820 times)

Offline sadie

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #495 on: March 05, 2020, 11:56:36 PM »
https://eco.sapo.pt/2020/03/05/ha-mais-dois-casos-de-coronavirus-em-portugal-sao-oito-os-infetados-em-portugal/

As of 4 March, Portugal has 8 people in hospital with coronavirus.  6 are in Porto (basically the north of the country) and 2 are in Lisbon (basically the middle of the country).

I am tracking the spread of cases in Portugal, because at the moment we have 5 high-risk individuals in our house.

I don't have details of all the origins of infections, but one source seems to be holidays in Northern Italy, while there are instances of person-to-person infection.

81 people are being monitored, with 117 on the suspect list.

I was hoping that the warmer weather we already have in Portugal would limit the spread of the virus, but that does not seem to be the case.

There are no reported cases on the Algarve as yet.  However, there is traditionally are a large uptick in holidaymakers from Porto and Lisbon around the holidays of 25th of April and 1st of May, in Luz and Lagos (and presumably in other holiday choices on the Algarve) so it looks like it is just a matter of time.

The authorities have not declared a state of emergency.  I haven't yet heard of schools being closed or sporting events being cancelled.

The only noticeable sign on the Algarve at the moment is that supermarkets are running low on 'emergency' medical products.  This could become an issue because many supermarkets are notoriously slow at replenishing goods which run out of stock.

Sorry to hear that SIL, especially with 5 High risk members to the household.

The big danger to the Algarve will come, I suspect, when the holiday makers arrive en masse.  I am inclined to think that hospitals and aircraft are the biggest infecters of viruses, with cruise ships and football matches etc. a close second.

Suggest that you keep clear of those pesky Brits when they arrive SIL.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #496 on: March 06, 2020, 01:33:20 AM »

Well now.  Everybody stayed out of The Food Bank waiting room this last week.  But since it was all colloquial french, I didn't actually understand what they were talking about.  I only speak proper French.  What a bummer that can be.

However, some of us were still kissing each other because this is automatic.  So, I have either got IT or not, as yet.

It is about 30 Miles up the road by now, and I am too old to laugh about this.  Or not.  I survived Galloping Consumption at the age of 30, so not much lung power left, despite the fact that I smoke like a bloody something or another.

Davel will hate me for this.  Sorry, Smoking never caused Cancer in my family.  They all lived beyond 90 and all smoked much more than I actually do. 

I can only guess that  Cancer grabs some people, and some it never does.  Like Tuberculosis grabs some people, and others it never does

For me Tuberculosis was much more devastating.  It killed my mother when I was eight years old, and she never smoked a fag in all her life.
I personally survived it, but with allergies a bit beyond..  But there you go.

Sorry.  Did I say a bit too much?  Sorry about that.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #497 on: March 06, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
Well now.  Everybody stayed out of The Food Bank waiting room this last week.  But since it was all colloquial french, I didn't actually understand what they were talking about.  I only speak proper French.  What a bummer that can be.

However, some of us were still kissing each other because this is automatic.  So, I have either got IT or not, as yet.

It is about 30 Miles up the road by now, and I am too old to laugh about this.  Or not.  I survived Galloping Consumption at the age of 30, so not much lung power left, despite the fact that I smoke like a bloody something or another.

Davel will hate me for this.  Sorry, Smoking never caused Cancer in my family.  They all lived beyond 90 and all smoked much more than I actually do. 

I can only guess that  Cancer grabs some people, and some it never does.  Like Tuberculosis grabs some people, and others it never does

For me Tuberculosis was much more devastating.  It killed my mother when I was eight years old, and she never smoked a fag in all her life.

My extended family is ginormous - aunts, uncles, cousins.

I happen to be the youngest of the whole lot, so most shuffle off the mortal coil before me.

Most of my family smoked extensively.  There is only one aunt who died of cancer.  I don't remember if she is related by genetics or by marriage.

In our family, we drop like flies from heart attacks and strokes.

Our family is genetically predisposed to evade cancer, but genetically predisposed to succumb to other causes.  I have never smoked in my life, so I need to concern myself on other causes of my mortality.

Since this is a Madeleine forum, here is the pertinent connection.  Portugal introduced a ban on smoking inside pubs, cafés and restaurants on 1 Jan 2008.  This is unfortunate in the sense that if a ban had been introduced earlier, there might have been more punters outside on the streets of Luz having a fag break spotting passers-by around the time Madeleine disappeared. 

Such is life.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #498 on: March 06, 2020, 05:27:39 PM »

Dont worry Eleanor what you are saying is perfectly valid. But there is no doubt that smoking causes lung cancer....plus this quote...

Cigarette smoking can cause cancer almost anywhere in the body. Cigarette smoking causes cancer of the mouth and throat, esophagus, stomach, colon, rectum, liver, pancreas, voicebox (larynx), trachea, bronchus, kidney and renal pelvis, urinary bladder, and cervix, and causes acute myeloid leukemia.

That doesnt mean that everyone who smokes gets lung cancer...there are other factors .....but smoking causes lung and other cancers.

Those who wish to smoke have every right to smoke if they wish but we should make sure our children understand just how harmful smoking is and to deny it is somewhat irresponsible imo. I would imagine older people who smoke are more likely to die of corona virus

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #499 on: March 06, 2020, 05:34:01 PM »
My extended family is ginormous - aunts, uncles, cousins.

I happen to be the youngest of the whole lot, so most shuffle off the mortal coil before me.

Most of my family smoked extensively.  There is only one aunt who died of cancer.  I don't remember if she is related by genetics or by marriage.

In our family, we drop like flies from heart attacks and strokes.

Our family is genetically predisposed to evade cancer, but genetically predisposed to succumb to other causes.  I have never smoked in my life, so I need to concern myself on other causes of my mortality.

Since this is a Madeleine forum, here is the pertinent connection.  Portugal introduced a ban on smoking inside pubs, cafés and restaurants on 1 Jan 2008.  This is unfortunate in the sense that if a ban had been introduced earlier, there might have been more punters outside on the streets of Luz having a fag break spotting passers-by around the time Madeleine disappeared. 

Such is life.

smoking is also a causal factor in heart attacks and strokes

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #500 on: March 06, 2020, 05:35:28 PM »
One in four heavy smokers die before their 65th birthday. The average lifespan of heavy smokers (smoking more than twenty cigarettes per day) is 13 years shorter than that of non-smokers. This is the outcome of a new study by Statistics Netherlands (CBS) and the Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction (the Trimbos Institute) on the relationship between smoking and mortality.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #501 on: March 06, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »

All this proves is you don't know how to apply statistics to either individual cases or to populations.

But feel free to continue gnawing on your bone.

&^&*%
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #502 on: March 06, 2020, 06:29:56 PM »
All this proves is you don't know how to apply statistics to either individual cases or to populations.

&^&*%

If you understood what I have posted you would see I haven't applied any statistics I've simply quoted experts...feel free to continue to fail to understand simple facts

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #503 on: March 06, 2020, 06:40:49 PM »

&^&*%
You’re letting your antipathy for Davel get in the way of your reason.  If you don’t agree with the stats complain to Statistics Netherlands (CBS) and the Netherlands Institute of Mental Addiction.  I’m 100% certain you feel more qualified to comment than either of these organisations, perhaps you should give them the benefit of your statistical expertise.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #504 on: March 06, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »

And all that proves is that you don't understand statistics either.

*&^^&

We've got our core coronavirus contingency planned steps in place today.

&^^&*
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #505 on: March 06, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »

*&^^&

&^^&*

You've accused me of not understanding the application of statistics when I havent applied any....I think you are making a bit of a fool of yourself again.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #506 on: March 06, 2020, 08:05:04 PM »

*&^^&

&^^&*
I understand that Davel was quoting statistical information from an official stats institute, something which you don’t seem to understand at all.  You been for that check up yet?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #507 on: March 07, 2020, 05:55:35 AM »
I understand that Davel was quoting statistical information from an official stats institute, something which you don’t seem to understand at all.  You been for that check up yet?

Tweedledee claims used no stats, Tweedledum claims Tweedledee used stats.

Get your stories straight T&T.

*&(+(+
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #508 on: March 07, 2020, 07:05:31 AM »
Tweedledee claims used no stats, Tweedledum claims Tweedledee used stats.

Get your stories straight T&T.

*&(+(+
Wrong again...I said I quoted stats not applied them but we don't expect you to be able to follow the debate. As for your T and T jibe you are behaving like a child but that would be explained by your age..

Offline Venturi Swirl