Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 220819 times)

Offline ShiningInLuz

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #540 on: March 10, 2020, 04:56:25 AM »
In what sense do you imagine that I don’t seem to understand the basic of the case?

You actually do have a parrot??!   Amazeballs!!

If you don't understand the difference between Luz and Burgau then you have no hope of understanding the basics of the case.

The parrot speaks perfect guard dog, in Portuguese.  I never managed to sneak past it a single time without it alerting the household.
What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #541 on: March 10, 2020, 07:22:11 AM »
If you don't understand the difference between Luz and Burgau then you have no hope of understanding the basics of the case.

The parrot speaks perfect guard dog, in Portuguese.  I never managed to sneak past it a single time without it alerting the household.
Who mentioned Luz and Burgau?  I didn’t even know you had a parrot, it was another little joke as you seem to like to name pets after protagonists in this case and as you said you were having an “extensive meeting” with Mr Malinka I figured maybe this was a pet that could talk.  Clearly you don’t “do” humour.  Never mind.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #542 on: March 10, 2020, 08:07:59 AM »
Who mentioned Luz and Burgau?  I didn’t even know you had a parrot, it was another little joke as you seem to like to name pets after protagonists in this case and as you said you were having an “extensive meeting” with Mr Malinka I figured maybe this was a pet that could talk.  Clearly you don’t “do” humour.  Never mind.

I told you that the parrot lives in Burgau.

Mr Malinka is also real, an arguido in this case.

The meeting has been delayed.

Talk about semi-intelligible.
What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #543 on: March 10, 2020, 08:28:16 AM »
I told you that the parrot lives in Burgau.

Mr Malinka is also real, an arguido in this case.

The meeting has been delayed.

Talk about semi-intelligible.
You told me the parrot lived in Burgau AFTER I asked you if Mr Malinka was your parrot.  I didn’t even know you had a parrot, either in Luz, Burgau or Britain.  It is what we call a joke.  I don’t expect you to understand, you’ve made it clear humour is not your thing.  Even if I knew you had a parrot in Burgau my joke still makes sense.  Perhaps he used his wings to fly to your important meeting.  That’s another joke btw.   I do know who Malinka is, I do know the difference between Burgau and Luz, I do have a pretty good grounding in this case, I am not semi-intelligible and I think that the comprehension issues (once again) are all yours.  Now, how many more attempts at putting me down are you going to give this non-issue before moving on? 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #544 on: March 10, 2020, 10:17:34 AM »
Let's all move on. 

SIL keep us informed about the Coronavirus news in your area, please.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #545 on: March 10, 2020, 10:47:33 AM »
Let's all move on. 

SIL keep us informed about the Coronavirus news in your area, please.

Coronavirus is being used as the nemesis for many lame ducks these days.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #546 on: March 10, 2020, 11:32:32 AM »
not to mention parrots.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #547 on: March 10, 2020, 12:08:24 PM »

What does that mean?  I certainly don't want Corona Virus, but I doubt that there is all that much to be done about it.

In Brittany it is already down the road a bit, about Fifty Miles away.  But I have had nearly thirty years of good, clean air.

The Powers that be haven't cancelled The Food Bank in Baud, which is largely run by old people who volunteer, but The Kissing has had to stop.
I will be there today so I'll let you know if anything has changed.

Fortunately, the dog is only interested in Badgers.  He has never managed to catch a Bat, of which we have quite a few.

His name is O'Connor.  Connor for short.  The year of The "O" in France.

He is a Rotten, Little Swine.  Don't get a Dachshund.  They steal your heart.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #548 on: March 10, 2020, 12:16:57 PM »
What does that mean?  I certainly don't want Corona Virus, but I doubt that there is all that much to be done about it.

In Brittany it is already down the road a bit, about Fifty Miles away.  But I have had nearly thirty years of good, clean air.

The Powers that be haven't cancelled The Food Bank in Baud, which is largely run by old people who volunteer, but The Kissing has had to stop.
I will be there today so I'll let you know if anything has changed.

Fortunately, the dog is only interested in Badgers.  He has never managed to catch a Bat, of which we have quite a few.

His name is O'Connor.  Connor for short.  The year of The "O" in France.

He is a Rotten, Little Swine.  Don't get a Dachshund.  They steal your heart.

All these nearly defunct businesses are using coronavirus as an excuse to fold.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #549 on: March 10, 2020, 12:42:55 PM »
Many businesses currently teetering on the edge due to a number of factors (Brexit uncertainty, floods, poor weather, death of the high street etc) certainly don't need another excuse to fold but this one may well be the straw that breaks quite a few backs.  Do you think business people LIKE or RELISH the prospect of having a failed business?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #550 on: March 10, 2020, 12:45:24 PM »

Really?  In Britain, you mean?  They are made of sterner stuff around here.  It's all Farming Country and animals have to be fed and fields ploughed.  It is such a tidy and pretty place.

I have been buying Raw Milk for years from the local Farm.

Sorry, sorry.  Frightfully Off Topic.  But some of us do have good lives outside of The Algarve which often bores me witless.

Not The Algarve itself which I think is beautiful.  But Luz was never The Place to go.  It's a third rate holiday destination with cheap accommodation and no class.  In My Experienced Opinion.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #551 on: March 10, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »

Dear SIL

What sort of dog is Goncalo?  I have always seen him as a Pit Bull, probably unfairly.  But you are obviously proud of him.
Are we allowed to know?

I am a frightful snob about dogs.  I only ever own Pedigrees even if they are awful.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #552 on: March 10, 2020, 03:06:24 PM »
Dear SIL

What sort of dog is Goncalo?  I have always seen him as a Pit Bull, probably unfairly.  But you are obviously proud of him.
Are we allowed to know?

I am a frightful snob about dogs.  I only ever own Pedigrees even if they are awful.

Lally is a thoroughbred Cocker Spaniel.  I'm not a snob about dogs, but the breeder does a deal with our local dog rescue service.  He donates one puppy to the rescue centre from time to time.  Someone like us sees the cutest puppy and buys it, and the funds help keep the rescue service running.

There is a bulldog and a Staff upstairs.  The Staff terrifies people because they think she is a Pitbull, although Staffs are on the Portuguese list of dangerous dogs in their own right.  Whilst she is terrifically strong, she is also terrifically gentle, and particularly loves young children.

The reference to Calpol for Lally was not a joke.  We are laying in essentials so that if we choose to self quarantine we could do so for an extended period.  Should it hit properly, I don't want to be going near a vet, doctor, hospital, or supermarket, if those can be avoided.  The pharmacist knows it's for Lally, and was quite happy to issue it.  If the Calpol is not required, we have wasted only a few cents.

We have a good friend who runs a very decent Chinese restaurant in Lagos.  Her business is under pressure, because she and her husband are Chinese, and punters are wary of the Chinese connection.  She has shut down to take a well-earned winter break, and has needed to explain to customers that she is not going to visit China.

Best wishes for your food bank visits.  I would class those as high risk if the infection takes off in your locality.  Our strategy is based on avoidance.  But you will surely know your personal situation much better than I do.

Just for the sake of avoidance, the following is NOT a joke.  We now have an Eeyore or two next door to us.  They were installed roughly a month ago to keep short the grass in our neighbour's orange orchard.  They look cute, but my god, they are noisy.
What's up, old man?

Offline Anthro

« Reply #553 on: March 10, 2020, 06:19:30 PM »
I'm also a life long non smoker but I worry a great deal about a loved family member who smokes
and will continue to point out any piece of "drivel" which may help to persuade him to stop the filthy habit.
Not hubby by the way.......And no one ever smokes in our home now.

ETA.
My mother was a heavy smoker and when she visited she did smoke in the house.
Most of the friend and family smokers have all stopped.

Me too, and my husband. Lifelong non-smokers. Cancer runs in my family and heart disease, in his.

Offline Myster

« Reply #554 on: March 10, 2020, 06:37:51 PM »
Me too, and my husband. Lifelong non-smokers. Cancer runs in my family and heart disease, in his.
A college acquaintance used to puff away at a bent briar pipe piled high with Balkan Sobranie.  It smelled wonderful and gave me a longing to follow suit, which I never did.  He sported a big, black, bushy beard at the time which was also quite unusual for an eighteen-year old, but then he was a product of a Public School education.  A few years ago I saw his photo online minus beard which I didn't recognise at first, although the name sounded familiar.  It was an obituary... he died of lung cancer in his mid-fifties.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.