Author Topic: Twist in case of missing two-year-old DeOrr Kunz Jr as parents named suspects  (Read 96139 times)

Offline misty

IMO to drive from the campsite to a higher elevation you have to drive downhill first.
For example 172A then double-back on either 172 or 172B.
IMO one of those must be the track referred to in a video interview as the high road overlooking the campsite.

I'll have another look at GE, see if I can get a better perspective.
One point - what made the cattleguard so memorable to IR yet his memory of Deorr seemed almost non-existent?
Have you seen this video? http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/idaho/2015/07/15/missing-boy-deorr-search-dogs/30209081/

Offline misty

An interesting post from another site about the number of people around the camp area & the cabins.

""It is my personal opinion that he is in the reservoir, OR another area of water.
My family who has participated in the searches, as well as word I'm hearing from them is
that many have hinky meters going through the roof. I hope he is lost, and hiding out somewhere and
this doesn't end up being a criminal case, BUT; as you know we here at WS have followed many many missing
child cases and maybe that makes us more hypersensitive to how different people grieve, vs. what may in fact be the norm
for that particular person or persons.
The area of the camping spot is wide open, and there were many families there that weekend.
Due to decomp, if he is in that water or other water beds, bloat would have already occurred and I would assume (not 100%) he would be floating
at the surface by now.
Remember the case of Russell and Shirley, in Georgia? she was even tied down heavily as to prevent floating to the surface, and she still did.
I truly, truly hope this is not the case of our little guy here.
I might also mention, there are cabins everywhere in that area. They are spread out from one another, and some are close, MAYBE he found one to hide in. Gosh wouldn't that be awesome?""

Offline pegasus

I'll have another look at GE, see if I can get a better perspective.
One point - what made the cattleguard so memorable to IR yet his memory of Deorr seemed almost non-existent?
Have you seen this video? http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/idaho/2015/07/15/missing-boy-deorr-search-dogs/30209081/
Thanks for that early video which states that tracker dogs led towards the reservoir.

Offline misty

Thanks for that early video which states that tracker dogs led towards the reservoir.

Not once, but twice, reportedly.
IR & RW went up to the reservoir  to check. Judging by the pictures of it, it's not somewhere that could be "searched" in the time frame before the 911 call.

Offline misty

Re: Twist in case of missing two-year-old DeOrr Kunz Jr as parents named suspects
« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2016, 12:10:54 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zr6r0ozYYY

A series of great pictures of the campsite which may interest you, Pegasus.

Offline misty

Re: Twist in case of missing two-year-old DeOrr Kunz Jr as parents named suspects
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2016, 02:23:51 AM »
Picture of search area, showing how close outhouse is to the campsite.

Also:-

.......The distance between Timber Creek and Stone Reservoir is about a quarter of a mile and takes an adult about 30 minutes to walk due to the steep and rocky terrain.............
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2268110/deorr-kunz-jr-search-update-investigation-being-re-directed-as-search-scales-back-on-missing-idaho-toddler/#IKJLQsDozfHpFWVG.99G

Between 12 noon (when IR woke up again) to around 1.45pm.....RW & IR went up to Stone Reservoir, looked at fishing holes, went back to camp, set up fishing at creek, did some fishing, went back to camp..........

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:30:15 AM by misty »

Offline misty

« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2016, 01:03:23 AM »
Please come back, Pegasus. People miss you.

Offline misty

http://idahostatejournal.com/outdoors/xtreme_idaho/new-developments-in-deorr-kunz-jr-case/article_80a16fa0-e520-5b24-b96e-9ef6e4d0f1b8.html

LEADORE — Searches for DeOrr Kunz Jr. will resume at Timber Creek Campground within the next few weeks.

Lemhi County Sheriff Steve Penner tells EastIdahoNews.com he is planning to have crews back at the campsite once weather permits.

“We’re going to be there working again, and we will see where that takes us,” Penner says.

DeOrr was 2 years old when he vanished while on a camping trip with his parents, great-grandfather and a friend of his grandfather on July 10, 2015.

There has been no sign of the toddler since that day, and nobody has been charged in connection to his disappearance.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is working on an age progression photo of what DeOrr could look like today if he’s still alive, Penner said.

“They do an age progression two years after a child has gone missing and then every five years,” Penner says. “That image should be released by the end of the month or the first part of June.”

Penner is expecting phone calls and possible sightings of DeOrr once the image is released. Although DeOrr’s parents, Vernal Kunz and Jessica Mitchell, have been named suspects in his disappearance, Penner hasn’t ruled anything out.

“I’ve said in the past that we keep everything open to every possibility,” Penner says. “In this case, obviously, the investigation has driven us further in one direction than the other but we still have to keep it open.”

Mitchell, along with her grandfather, Robert Walton, and Walton’s friend, Isaac Reinwand, have continued to cooperate with law enforcement, according to Penner. Vernal Kunz has hired an attorney, and “we haven’t spoken in quite a while,” Penner says.

Meanwhile, court documents obtained by EastIdahoNews.com show a lawsuit filed by Vernal Kunz, Jessica Mitchell and Dennis Kunz, Vernal’s father, against private investigator Philip Klein has been dismissed.

The lawsuit concerned public statements Klein made about the case.

Klein was never served with the lawsuit, according to the documents, and Vernal Kunz and Dennis Kunz plan to refile the suit without Mitchell.

Penner says the lawsuit is a distraction from the fact that DeOrr is still missing.

“Two years is a long time,” Penner says. “I’m hoping for a resolution soon. It won’t come if we don’t work for it. I’ll keep working and I’ll keep looking.
=================================================================

Offline misty

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2017/06/deorrs-grandmother-i-will-keep-searching-for-him-until-the-day-i-die/

IDAHO FALLS — The grandmother of missing toddler DeOrr Kunz Jr. says she will keep returning to the Timber Creek Campground in Lemhi County until her grandson is found or until the day she dies.

Trina Bates Clegg spoke with East Idaho Newsmakers about the case in a 38-minute interview that will be posted Sunday on EastIdahoNews.com.

DeOrr was 2 years old when he vanished while on a camping trip with his parents, great-grandfather and a friend of his great-grandfather on July 10, 2015. There has been no sign of the toddler since that day, and nobody has been charged in connection to his disappearance.

DEORR’S GRANDMOTHER: I WILL KEEP SEARCHING FOR HIM UNTIL THE DAY I DIE
DEORR KUNZ JR. 0  Updated at 10:25 am, June 30th, 2017 By: Nate Eaton, EastIdahoNews.com
SHARE THIS STORY

IDAHO FALLS — The grandmother of missing toddler DeOrr Kunz Jr. says she will keep returning to the Timber Creek Campground in Lemhi County until her grandson is found or until the day she dies.

Trina Bates Clegg spoke with East Idaho Newsmakers about the case in a 38-minute interview that will be posted Sunday on EastIdahoNews.com.

DeOrr was 2 years old when he vanished while on a camping trip with his parents, great-grandfather and a friend of his great-grandfather on July 10, 2015. There has been no sign of the toddler since that day, and nobody has been charged in connection to his disappearance.

Clegg said even though it’s been nearly two years since DeOrr disappeared, she plans to return to Timber Creek Campground next weekend to search for the boy. She’s inviting the public to help and hopes to get answers.

“Until I know in my heart that I’ve covered every inch of that area, which may never happen in my lifetime, but until I feel confident that I’ve covered more areas and I’ve seen more ground, I’ll go back there until the day I die. I don’t care if I’m 90 years old,” Clegg said.

The emotional twists and turns of the last two years have taken a toll on Clegg and her family. She believes errors have been made in the investigation, including when former Lemhi County Sheriff Lynn Bowerman named Vernal Kunz and Jessica Mitchell, DeOrr’s parents, as suspects in the disappearance. Mitchell is Clegg’s daughter.

“I think if that’s what their suspicions were, they should have kept their mouths shut and pursued that,” Clegg said. “If you stole something from me and all of a sudden everyone keeps pointing fingers at you, what are you going to do with what you had stolen from me? Hide it, get rid of it, try to make it less suspicious. If (investigators) had just kept things quiet, maybe something would have come up.”

During her East Idaho Newsmakers interview, Clegg discussed a variety of aspects in the case, including private investigator Philip Klein, an age progressed photo of DeOrr recently released by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and her relationship with her daughter, Jessica.

“Everyone always asks me, ‘Why can’t you get (Jessica) to talk?’ I have sat in interrogation rooms and I’ve begged her. I threw pictures of baby Deorr in front of her and said, ‘All it takes is you to talk to them,'” Clegg said. “There was a time she was offered immunity. (They said) ‘Sign that piece of paper and tell us what happened. You can walk right out that door.’ Why wouldn’t she sign immunity if that’s the case?

Clegg continued, “I may get proved wrong. I can’t say that it may not happen, but as of right now, I have to believe in my heart the things that I’ve been told.”

‘Search For Answers For Baby DeOrr’ will be held July 8 to 9 at Timber Creek Campground in Lemhi County. Volunteer searchers are asked to wear appropriate shoes and bring food and water. Click here for more information.

A community vigil for DeOrr will be held at 7 p.m. July 10 at Freeman Park in Idaho Falls. Attendees are asking to bring a blue balloon and a candle. Click here for more information.

WATCH THE ENTIRE EAST IDAHO NEWSMAKERS INTERVIEW WITH TRINA BATES CLEGG ON SUNDAY ON EASTIDAHONEWS.COM.

===================================================================

I am led to believe from Facebook posts that Jessica will also be going to the campground. The snows have only recently thawed but there are no reports that LE have been up to the site again so far this year.
It's clear from this report that Trina has no knowledge of what happened to Deorr Jr. & IMO Jessica was not involved.

An age-progression photo showing what Deorr could now look like at 4 has been issued but the general consensus of opinion (including that of Jessica, his mum) in the USA of those following the case is the image looks like a much older child. I believe it was produced by the same organisation which issued Madeleine's age-progression photos.

Offline misty

http://www.ktvb.com/mb/news/local/full-interview-with-jessica-mitchell-deorr-s-mother/456234929

http://www.ktvb.com/mb/news/local/full-interview-with-richard-jimenez-deorr-s-great-grandfather/456236282

Some interesting comments about the nature of the campground & criticism of the original Sheriff for a poorly conducted search & investigation.

Meanwhile, the PI, Klein, continues with his online dramatics.
A Q&A session.

https://www.facebook.com/WeWantAnswersforDeOrrKunzJr/
We Want Answers for DeOrr Kunz Jr
June 30 at 11:10pm ·
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:56:25 AM by misty »

Offline pathfinder73

Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline misty

« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2017, 11:32:18 PM »
http://people.com/crime/people-magazine-investigates-deorr-kunz-vanished-woods/

Thanks for that, Pathfinder; will watch it later.

Just had this through on google alerts too.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2017/11/lemhi-sheriff-issues-statement-regarding-deorr-kunz-jr/

The following is a news release from the Lemhi County Sheriff’s Office.

On July 10, 2015, DeOrr Kunz, a two and a half-year-old toddler was reported missing from the Timber Creek Campground near Leadore, Idaho. At the time of his disappearance, DeOrr is believed to have been camping with his parents Jessica Mitchell and Vernal DeOrr Kunz, his grandfather Robert Walton, and family friend Isaac Reinwand.

On the day DeOrr was reported missing, a deputy and the local search and rescue commander arrived on the location where DeOrr was last seen within an hour and eighteen minutes of the Lemhi County Dispatch receiving the 911 call.Shortly thereafter, two more law enforcement officers arrived and deployed K-9 to help with the search. As the search for DeOrr continued, search teams, consisting of trained search and rescue members and local residents who were familiar with the area, were deployed on foot, motorcycle and ATVS. Additionally, two rescue boats with dive teams and a helicopter with FLIR capability were deployed to the campground to assist during the late hours of July 10 and on July 11, 2015.

RELATED | PREVIEW: Investigation Discovery to air hour-long DeOrr Kunz special tonight

The Lemhi County Sheriff’s Office scaled back the search approximately ten days after DeOrr was reported missing, although intensive searches resumed in late July, early August and the early fall of 2015, and searches of the area were again conducted in 2016 and 2017. In addition to the multiple searches of the area, all of the persons with DeOrr at the time of his disappearance have been interviewed by law enforcement officers many times and law enforcement continues to have periodic contact with those individuals.

The Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office and Federal Bureau of Investigation joined the investigative efforts by assisting our agency shortly after DeOrr’s disappearance. We have worked with several law enforcement agencies across the country to follow up on reported sightings and tips from other states. In 2017, we worked with the NCMEC (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children) to release an age progression photo of DeOrr.

Since our investigation began, some private investigators have also started separate investigations. It’s imperative for the public to understand that the Lemhi County Sheriff’s Office is the lead law enforcement agency in this case. Our office does receive assistance at our request from the Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office and the F.B.I. Private investigators and others don’t speak for us, as we don’t speak for them. Official statements and facts regarding the case will only come from the Lemhi County Sheriff’s Office.

While there are several theories as to what may have happened to DeOrr, none of these theories have been confirmed by our office. Our investigators continue to work diligently to explore all possibilities. We can’t afford to close any doors or to let frustration drive the investigation in any single direction.

The focus of our office case has and always will be DeOrr. We determine our investigative course of action by continually re-evaluating prior searches and information, combining those facts with new relevant information. If you have any direct information or knowledge surrounding DeOrr’s disappearance, we strongly urge you to contact us. The most effective and efficient way to report a tip is by calling the Lemhi County Sheriff’s Office at (208) 756-8980 or our tip line at (208) 756-4636 to remain anonymous.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So much for Philip Klein & his "entering the prosecutorial stage" all those months ago.
It's sad to think that, once again, the snow will halt the search around the campground.