Author Topic: Madeleine McCann’s parents hit by ‘150 vile tweets a DAY from online trolls’  (Read 61084 times)

Offline The Singularity

THE parents of Maddie McCann are targeted by more than 150 abusive tweets everyday – a decade on from her disappearance.

The vile comments, directed at Kate and Gerry McCann, were found to be made mostly by women, according to new research into online abuse.

The Sun Link

Some things never change, I don't know how these people sleep at night

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:34:38 AM by John »

stephen25000

First, we have been told repeatedly, that they McCann's don't use twitter, but they have 'monitors'.

Second, how do we know this material exists ?

150 per week ?

A rather round number.

On the Sun's say so  ?

Who have had/have a business relationship with the Mccann's, as they serialized Kate Mccann's book.

Now if I was being cynical, this story seems to have emerged after the recent Supreme Court decision.

Offline The Singularity

First, we have been told repeatedly, that they McCann's don't use twitter, but they have 'monitors'.

Second, how do we know this material exists ?

150 per week ?

A rather round number.

On the Sun's say so  ?

Who have had/have a business relationship with the Mccann's, as they serialized Kate Mccann's book.

Now if I was being cynical, this story seems to have emerged after the recent Supreme Court decision.

The timing is no doubt a key factor and despite none of the family being on twitter, that we know of, it still doesn't stop other people directing comments at them. If you have a look on twitter for the #McCann I think you get a really good idea of what is being written each day.

I initially suspect 150 tweets is a rather conservative figure although I haven't checked or bothered with twitter for some considerable time.

stephen25000

The timing is no doubt a key factor and despite none of the family being on twitter, that we know of, it still doesn't stop other people directing comments at them. If you have a look on twitter for the #McCann I think you get a really good idea of what is being written each day.

I initially suspect 150 tweets is a rather conservative figure although I haven't checked or bothered with twitter for some considerable time.

I have seen some of the 'material' on twitter, and it goes both ways, from the extremes on both sides, and all too frequently quite despicable.

It isn't just the McCann's abuse. Far from it.

Offline Eleanor

It is a conservative figure.

Offline The Singularity

Dr Synott called for action to be taken against the abuse, including taking away pseudonyms that allowed people to make abusive comments anonymously.

I think the doctor has a point here but I am torn by this because I do respect a free and open internet. This touches on the free speech that we all have the luxury to exercise. Some I'm sure would argue that is their free speech to pass comment on Madeleine's parents however there is a common sense line drawn. Being vulgar or in anyway inciting harm towards the parents or twins simply can never be seen as exercising free speech.

I am reminded of the very sad events that happened when a lady who was on twitter decided to take her own life following being interviewed by a rolling news channel. It's a wretched position to have to consider but essentially the lady had her anonymity removed and put a name and face to the comments she had made.

I'm not sure about this debate, I have an argument for the one side but a valid counter argument.

Offline The Singularity

It is a conservative figure.

I did think so, and in the story it does say across Facebook and twitter, although I suspect twitter alone would reach the assumed 150 mark within a 24 hour period.

ferryman

THE parents of Maddie McCann are targeted by more than 150 abusive tweets everyday – a decade on from her disappearance.

The vile comments, directed at Kate and Gerry McCann, were found to be made mostly by women, according to new research into online abuse.

The Sun Link

I suspect the answer is, all too easily (sadly).

stephen25000

The abuse is a two way street.

Now why don't McCann supporters acknowledge that ?

I'll check back later on that...........

Offline The Singularity

The abuse is a two way street.

Now why don't McCann supporters acknowledge that ?

I'll check back later on that...........

There has been bitter engagements from both sides so yes, it is hard not to acknowledge. However the majority of posts or tweets that make the media channels is almost exclusively people making obscene comments about Madeleine's parents. If I am wrong on this observation please set me straight as I am not familiar with the McCann press as I once was.

Offline Alice Purjorick

The Sun article refers to the research recently carried out by Huddersfield University.
Why drink rancid water from a corroded cup when you can go to the well?

"The sheer volume of tweets by the anti-McCann group – and by supporters of Madeleine’s parents – meant that it would be an excellent case study".

https://www.hud.ac.uk/news/2017/february/exploringtheworldofthemadeleinemccanntrolls.php
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline The Singularity

That is an interesting article, I found this to be an excellent obwservation:

It was found that “the insults and abuse levelled at both the McCanns and the pro-McCann users were constant, repetitive, and in clear violation of Twitter policies, though user accounts were rarely suspended”.

This is not just confined to the insults on the McCann hashtag, I think twitter as a whole have a very bad reputation in allowing accounts to continue without review after being reported. I'm not a Facebook user but assume it is the same when it comes to reviewing content

Offline Mr Gray

It's interesting that the study is being carried out by the psychology department... it confirms my belief that Those that abuse the McCanns are mentally disturbed

Offline Mr Gray

That is an interesting article, I found this to be an excellent obwservation:

This is not just confined to the insults on the McCann hashtag, I think twitter as a whole have a very bad reputation in allowing accounts to continue without review after being reported. I'm not a Facebook user but assume it is the same when it comes to reviewing content

I suffered a lot of abuse re a video posted on you tube from a tv programme I was featured in
You tube didn't do anything about it

Offline faithlilly

The Sun Link

I believe the same researcher is also going to publish a piece on McCann supporters. I wonder if that will get as much tabloid attention?

I have noticed that on the OFM Facebook page there has been almost no sign of Madeleine for the last three months but copious posts on trolling. It does make you wonder why that is ? Why at this point in time are the McCanns so desperate to paint themselves as innocent victims of the 'mob', as well as the Portuguese ( 'Portuguese agenda' )? I suppose if there was ever to be a trial it would be handy to be able to show that it couldn't be fair.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?