Author Topic: So what now, post Supreme Court decisions?  (Read 14775 times)

Online John

So what now, post Supreme Court decisions?
« on: March 25, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »

So here we are many years after this all began and the highest Court in Portugal has provided its final decision in the McCanns v Gonçalo Amaral and Others defamation case. For anyone who might have missed recent events, a short résumé.

27 April 2015 - First instance Court finds for the McCanns.  Awards damages against Gonçalo Amaral.
19 April 2016 - Appeal Court overturns judgement of lower court. Damages award dismissed.
31 January 2017 - Supreme Court upholds Appeal Court decision.
21 March 2017 - Supreme Court dismisses Application by McCanns to have SC decision annulled.

So what now given this is effectively the end of the road?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:59:03 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. John Lamberton exposes malfeasance by public officials.
Check out my website >   http://johnlamberton.webs.com/index.htm?no_redirect=true     The truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Alice Purjorick

• One man's style must not be the rule of another's.
Re: So what now, post Supreme Court decisions?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 04:05:20 PM »

So here we are many years after this all began and the highest Court in Portugal has provided its final decision in the McCanns v Gonçalo Amaral and Others defamation case. For anyone who might have missed recent events, a short résumé.

27 April 2015 - First instance Court finds for the McCanns.  Awards damages against Gonçalo Amaral.
19 April 2016 - Appeal Court overturns judgement of lower court. Damages award dismissed.
21 March 2017 - Supreme Court dismisses Application by McCanns to have SC decision annulled.

Maintain a "hull down" position ? or make an application to the ECHR, which effectively kicks it into the long grass for 10 years, and make Mitchell earn his corn spinning the tale to best advantage. Whatever you say about him he is good at it. Always assuming there is enough money in the pot to cover it.
I suppose a lot will depend on what, if anything, OG and the PJ turn up.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:59:24 PM by John »
I tell you it's Burt Reynolds

Alfie

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 04:08:03 PM »

McCanns bankrupted and Amaral can afford another diamond earring, Madeleine remains missing, "sceptics" happy, that's about it really.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:59:44 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 04:15:37 PM »
I expect that question is occupying the McCanns at the moment, hence the deafening silence. I think the 'complaint' may have been a delaying tactic, given the normal speed of the Portuguese Courts. It froze the payments and stopped the reporting of the 'not cleared' surprise. Perhaps the hope was that the anniversary would arrive before the SC answered. Will anyone agree to interview them now without discussing the defeat, their 'uncleared' status and the cost of the litigation?
Accept nothing
Believe no-one
Confirm everything

Offline jassi

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 04:17:35 PM »
I suppose we need to see how the legal costs are funded, and how the tabloids treat the McCanns over the next few months
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -  10 years and still no solution.

Alfie

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »
I expect that question is occupying the McCanns at the moment, hence the deafening silence. I think the 'complaint' may have been a delaying tactic, given the normal speed of the Portuguese Courts. It froze the payments and stopped the reporting of the 'not cleared' surprise. Perhaps the hope was that the anniversary would arrive before the SC answered. Will anyone agree to interview them now without discussing the defeat, their 'uncleared' status and the cost of the litigation?
What makes you think the McCanns have made that a stipulation of any future interview?

Offline Alice Purjorick

• One man's style must not be the rule of another's.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 04:22:50 PM »

It's a bit of a bummer it now comes into FY 2016/2017... &%+((£
I tell you it's Burt Reynolds

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »
What makes you think the McCanns have made that a stipulation of any future interview?

What makes you think they want to talk about their defeat, their misunderstanding of the archiving dispatch, and the cost and source of the wherewithal to pay it? Will they finally admit that the courts found the book didn't damage the investigation into Madeleine's disappearance or affect their other children? That's what Kate said it was all about, but the courts rejected those claims. It would be very interesting to hear them explain all that, but I don't think they will.
Accept nothing
Believe no-one
Confirm everything

Alfie

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 06:11:49 PM »
What makes you think they want to talk about their defeat, their misunderstanding of the archiving dispatch, and the cost and source of the wherewithal to pay it? Will they finally admit that the courts found the book didn't damage the investigation into Madeleine's disappearance or affect their other children? That's what Kate said it was all about, but the courts rejected those claims. It would be very interesting to hear them explain all that, but I don't think they will.
I should think they'd be only too eager to talk about how they've been the victims of a gross miscarriage of justice, in their position I certainly would.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »
I should think they'd be only too eager to talk about how they've been the victims of a gross miscarriage of justice, in their position I certainly would.
Would too much publicity be a bad thing if they want to advance with an ECHR case?
What are you doing to find Madeleine?

Online John

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
Clearly the recent comments emanating from a McCann source warning that any attempt to defame them in the UK will be vigorously met with court action could be an indicator of things to come.  However, there are limits to what can or cannot be pursued in an English Court, I cannot see anyone being brave enough to do it on a pro bono basis.

It will also be interesting to see what Gonçalo puts in his new book and in particular will he be prepared to push the envelope any further by expanding on his thesis.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:09:46 PM by Angelo222 »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. John Lamberton exposes malfeasance by public officials.
Check out my website >   http://johnlamberton.webs.com/index.htm?no_redirect=true     The truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
Clearly the recent comments emanating from a McCann source warning that any attempt to defame them in the UK will be vigorously met with court action could be an indicator of things to come.  However, there are limits to what can or cannot be pursued in an English Court, I cannot see anyone being brave enough to do it on a pro bono basis.

It will also be interesting to see what Gonçalo puts in his new book and in particular will he be prepared to push the envelope any further by expanding on his thesis.

I suppose it's a question of what he knows that isn't in the public domain.
Helping Elite sufferers of NPD for over 2 years...

Offline Brietta

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 10:30:13 PM »
I suppose it's a question of what he knows that isn't in the public domain.

You do realise that if he does have information on Madeleine McCann's case which he has been sitting on for coming up on ten years he will face criminal charges if he decides to reveals that in a book?
The remit of Operation Grange is to investigate ...  "(as if the abduction occurred in the UK)"

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 10:37:40 PM »
You do realise that if he does have information on Madeleine McCann's case which he has been sitting on for coming up on ten years he will face criminal charges if he decides to reveals that in a book?
It would be safe if he could prove the whole investigation team are sitting on the same information.
What are you doing to find Madeleine?

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »
It would be safe if he could prove the whole investigation team are sitting on the same information.

Well we know there is information that hasn't been released.
Helping Elite sufferers of NPD for over 2 years...