Author Topic: What can we do to remember Madeleine 10 years on?  (Read 8578 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: What can we do to remember Madeleine 10 years on?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »
A candle is usually lit, privately, in someone's memory. That would be absolutely appropriate.

Public displays of remembrance for a child none of us knew on the day she met an awful fate is, crass, there is no other word for it.

I light candles for all sorts of reasons.  But then I ever was a bit of a clot.  I don't mind about that.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »
I light candles for all sorts of reasons.  But then I ever was a bit of a clot.  I don't mind about that.

My point is you do it privately.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »
My point is you do it privately.

I will tell you all about it when I do.

I would try to find a picture of a lit candle, if only I knew how to post it.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »
A candle is usually lit, privately, in someone's memory. That would be absolutely appropriate.

Public displays of remembrance for a child none of us knew on the day she met an awful fate is, crass, there is no other word for it.

Do you feel the same about all the candles lit and the displays of rememberance for all the Dunblane children who  met an awful fate  and areremembered by people who did not know any of those little ones?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 12:15:02 PM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 12:16:18 PM »

It seems to me you would rather she be forgotten?

Lighting a candle, holding a service, posting photographs are all signs of hope and I see nothing crass about that?

Despite our differing views on how she disappeared I believe we are all agreed that she should be found. I suggest we open a special thread as the anniversary approaches where people including guests can leave prayers and messages of hope.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:02:29 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 12:31:45 PM »
It seems to me you would rather she be forgotten?

Lighting a candle, holding a service, posting photographs are all signs of hope and I see nothing crass about that?

Despite our differing views on how she disappeared I believe we are all agreed that she should be found. I suggest we open a special thread as the anniversary approaches where people including guests can leave prayers and messages of hope.

I would rather she was remembered on her birthday or at Christmas, not on the day she met whatever horrible fate defell her.

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »

I am sure there are those on this very forum who will try to dress it up that you are somehow deficient for holding that view. I ain't one of them.
The best thing to do with this thread is can it and let people silently remember, pray for her soul, her return or whatever else they wish to do as a mark of resepct but do it in their own way privately.
This is no place for outpourings of grief real or contrived.
It will only degenerate into the usual mindless "my grief is more profound than yours" routine.
In fact the degeneration along those lines started a few posts ago.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Erngath

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »
I would rather she was remembered on her birthday or at Christmas, not on the day she met whatever horrible fate defell her.

The children of Dunblane Primary are remembered on the day they met their "horrible fate."
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »

I agree Faith. It is quite macabre. God knows what happened to her or is still happening to her. If she were my daughter I would certainy not want to'celebrate' commemorate or whatever if  I suspected  her of being abducted by paedophiles. I would want to be left alone with my own thoughts.

Should we have a page for the moors murdered children? when you think about the behaviour of those parents it puts everything into prespective.

This poor child is becoming another Diana. A cash cow even after death or disappared.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »

The children of Dunblane Primary are remembered on the day they met their "horrible fate."

Not on this forum.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Alfie

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 02:09:35 PM »
Aren't we all seeking justice for Madeleine in some form or other?  Why should we not remember that on the day she vanished?  I take it you find public displays of remembrance for the victims of Hillsborough by people who didn't know thm personallyequally crass?  How about remembrance vigils on the anniversary of 9/11 - do you sneer at those too?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:52:47 PM by John »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »
Aren't we all seeking justice for Madeleine in some form or other?  Why should we not remember that on the day she vanished?

Privately, if you so choose, but publicly no.

Does April Jones's mother publicly mark the day her daughter was killed or Denise Bulger or in fact any of the other parents whose children are missing or dead?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:53:08 PM by John »

Alfie

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »
Privately, if you so choose, but publicly no.

Does April Jones's mother publicly mark the day her daughter was killed or Denise Bulger or in fact any of the other parents whose children are missing or dead?
I have no idea - but it may have escaped your attention that we know what happened to both those children.  Are you now criticising in advance any attempt by the McCanns to publicly mark the anniversary of their child's disappearance when only this morning you were criticising them for not doing enough recently to highlight it?  Oh dear, they just can't win with you can they, those hapless McCanns.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »

Like it or not, the tenth anniversary of her disappearance will attract much more attention than any birthday or Christmas.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:37:15 PM by John »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »
Like it or not, the tenth anniversary of her disappearance will attract much more attention than any birthday or Christmas.

And we can do nothing about that  but in this little corner of the internet we can.