Author Topic: Was Amaral Biased Against the McCanns and If So Why?  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Was Amaral Biased Against the McCanns and If So Why?
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2017, 03:51:13 PM »
WARNING RE THREAD DISRUPTION
Any member engaging in argumentative conduct, goading, baiting, making snide remarks or using inappropriate language etc will now be subject to sanctions without exception.

Any member receiving 60 warning points will have their posts moderated.

Thank You.  Not normally the way of me, but I am getting there.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »
I think it is all to do with provision in the Portuguese penal code that the police have eight months between constituting an arguido and charging them.

Murat's time was up sometime in January 2008 but was delayed until the situation with Kate and Gerry's status was sorted out.

I think had there been no arguido's rights with the attendant timescale to be considered that the Rebelo investigation might have run its course.
Why it wasn't allowed to continue minus the three against whom there was no evidence is a bit of a mystery for me.  Why was there such great impetus for a prosecution ... the imperative was surely to find the child first and then evidence to prosecute?
I believe Wiki says there is no time limit, but I'm not interested enough to x-check.
In mods I trust!

Offline Brietta

« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
I believe Wiki says there is no time limit, but I'm not interested enough to x-check.

I've been thumbing through translations of old press reports and read something about it only a couple of days ago.

I don't think there necessarily has to be a time limit on cases ... quite frankly I don't understand the 'archiving' thing ... but it ties in with the situation regarding arguidos.
If I remember correctly that definitely has an eight month time span under normal circumstances, but it can be extended if requested.

Where is JP when you need him?  He explains these things so well.

I will come across the link I found again I am sure and will post it if you are interested.
The remit of Operation Grange is to investigate ...  "(as if the abduction occurred in the UK)"

Offline Alice Purjorick

• One man's style must not be the rule of another's.
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »

It does but the authority for the statement is an article from The Daily Telegraph.
http://dictionnaire.sensagent.leparisien.fr/Arguido/en-en/

There are some interesting bits in here:
http://www.gddc.pt/codigos/notas-de-traducao_ingles.html
and here:
https://www.fairtrials.org/arrested-abroad/arrested-in/arrested-in-portuga/

I tell you it's Burt Reynolds