Author Topic: Was Amaral Biased Against the McCanns and If So Why?  (Read 5590 times)

Online misty

Re: Was Amaral Biased Against the McCanns and If So Why?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 10:45:21 PM »
No.......and no.

So you are of the opinion that this particular policeman was not influenced in any way by previous experience when confronted with Madeleine's disappearance. Don't statistics & case knowledge play any part in Portuguese police work?

Offline Faithlilly

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 11:50:34 PM »
So you are of the opinion that this particular policeman was not influenced in any way by previous experience when confronted with Madeleine's disappearance. Don't statistics & case knowledge play any part in Portuguese police work?

Redwood has experienced many parental murders I am sure. Does that mean he was unable to look objectively at any scenario other than parental involvement? Or Nicola Wall?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:59:48 PM by Faithlilly »
Moral Guilt
Detractors of the work of our British Police in bringing criminals to justice generally ignore the important distinction between moral proof and legal evidence of guilt. In not a few cases that are popularly classed with 'unsolved mysteries of crime,' the offender is known, but evidence is wanting. If, for example, in- a recent murder case of special notoriety and interest,* certain human remains had not been found in a cellar, a great crime would have been catalogued among `Police failures'; and yet, even without the evidence which sent the murderer to the gallows, the moral proof of his guilt would have been full and clear.
Robert Anderson

Online misty

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 12:00:47 AM »
Redwood has experienced many parental murders I am sure. Does that mean he was unable to look at any other scenario than parental involvement? Or Nicola Wall?

We are not talking about SY detectives; aren't we trying to establish why such a large part of Amaral's focus was on the McCanns during the investigation under his co-ordination?

Offline Faithlilly

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 12:09:12 AM »
We are not talking about SY detectives; aren't we trying to establish why such a large part of Amaral's focus was on the McCanns during the investigation under his co-ordination?

You put forward to idea that Amaral may have been shaped into suspecting the parents by his former experiences. I merely pointed out that each and every police officer of high rank will have worked on cases such as the Azores case and still retained the ability to treat every case individually. I'm sure Amaral was no different.
Moral Guilt
Detractors of the work of our British Police in bringing criminals to justice generally ignore the important distinction between moral proof and legal evidence of guilt. In not a few cases that are popularly classed with 'unsolved mysteries of crime,' the offender is known, but evidence is wanting. If, for example, in- a recent murder case of special notoriety and interest,* certain human remains had not been found in a cellar, a great crime would have been catalogued among `Police failures'; and yet, even without the evidence which sent the murderer to the gallows, the moral proof of his guilt would have been full and clear.
Robert Anderson

Online misty

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 12:37:29 AM »
You put forward to idea that Amaral may have been shaped into suspecting the parents by his former experiences. I merely pointed out that each and every police officer of high rank will have worked on cases such as the Azores case and still retained the ability to treat every case individually. I'm sure Amaral was no different.

You don't see the similarities between the 3 aforementioned cases all involving Amaral in the investigation process?
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that his experiences of parents (especially mothers) betraying their children had affected him psychologically & clouded his judgement.
Why do you think KM was told about a 2 year sentence if she confessed, but the same thing wasn't suggested to GM?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 12:42:06 AM »
I would have expected "Investigation and questioning the parents would (as) the normal procedure" not the refusal to re-interview Kate the second time in a more reasonable time frame.
I still feel strongly that the bias was there early at least before the 10th of May when they interviewed Gerry but not Kate.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:30:55 AM by Robittybob1 »
What are you doing to find Madeleine?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 06:55:14 AM »
I still feel strongly that the bias was there early at least before the 10th of May when they interviewed Gerry but not Kate.

On 10th May Kate, Dave and Fiona were not interviewed. Kate wasn't interviewed because;

Alan Pike was concerned about my wellbeing and asked for my rescheduled interview to be postponed for a few days.
[Madeleine]

I don't know why the other two weren't interviewed.
Accept nothing
Believe no-one
Confirm everything

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »
On 10th May Kate, Dave and Fiona were not interviewed. Kate wasn't interviewed because;

Alan Pike was concerned about my wellbeing and asked for my rescheduled interview to be postponed for a few days.
[Madeleine]

'David and Fiona may have been on the possible arguido list too at that stage.  With Kate there was a "rescheduled interview to be postponed for a few days"  If it went ahead as planned it doesn't appear in the file.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 08:14:56 AM »

[Madeleine]

When I looked up Alan Pike statement it was noted "Our services were requested by the Mark Warner agency. I travelled specifically to speak to them in person, and with the family and agency functionaries. Kate and Gerry had been awake for two nights when I got to know them."

So it was Mark Warner who organised Kate's psychologist.  And didn't MW also organise Bell Pottinger?

Offline Benice

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »
I'm asking for an opinion. Many supporters say Amaral suspected the McCanns from the 4th of May so do you believe it was bias on his part or simply what the intitial evidence suggested? And if bias where did that bias originate?

It may have originated from when Amaral was made an Arguido himself on 4th May. 

Perhaps being made an Arguido  because of claims made by the mother in his last missing child case influenced his decision on what would be the best outcome from his own POV in this latest case of a missing child - in relation to his own impending trial.

Although Amaral has carefully never mentioned that on 4th May he was elsewhere being made an arguido - or given  his reaction to it  - I find it impossible to believe that it had no affect on him.   To begin with - the blow to his much vaunted 'honour' on that day must have been immense. 

IMO it's reasonable to believe that being made an Arguido and knowing the possible disastrous implications of that to himself and his future career was something that was always at the forefront of his mind and may well have influenced his 'thinking' re the McCann case right from the beginning.

He should never have been put in charge of this case.

AIMHO

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:39:47 AM by Angelo222 »
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline stephen25000

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 11:18:20 AM »

Perhaps being made an Arguido  because of claims made by the mother in his last missing child case influenced his decision on what would be the best outcome from his own POV in this latest case of a missing child - in relation to his own impending trial.

Although Amaral has carefully never mentioned that on 4th May he was elsewhere being made an arguido - or given  his reaction to it  - I find it impossible to believe that it had no affect on him.   To begin with - the blow to his much vaunted 'honour' on that day must have been immense. 

IMO it's reasonable to believe that being made an Arguido and knowing the possible disastrous implications of that to himself and his future career was something that was always at the forefront of his mind and may well have influenced his 'thinking' re the McCann case right from the beginning.

AIMHO

Now there's a surprise.  8**8:/:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:40:16 AM by Angelo222 »
The McCanns were solely responsible for their childcare arrangements and there is no one else to blame.

S and S, two more amateurs making money from a disappeared child, and clearly without a clue.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »

AIMHO

Absolutely.  He should never have been put in charge of this case.  It was the first major blunder.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:40:51 AM by Angelo222 »

Offline Faithlilly

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
You don't see the similarities between the 3 aforementioned cases all involving Amaral in the investigation process?
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that his experiences of parents (especially mothers) betraying their children had affected him psychologically & clouded his judgement.
Why do you think KM was told about a 2 year sentence if she confessed, but the same thing wasn't suggested to GM?

Similarities? Apart from they were all crimes involving children? I'm sure Redwood, Wall et al will have dealt with at least three horrendous crimes involving children. Are you saying that those detective's psychology must have been adversely affected too....or just Amaral's ?
Moral Guilt
Robert Anderson

Offline Faithlilly

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2017, 11:34:07 AM »

AIMHO

If, as you say, Amaral's thinking was coloured by him being made an arguido in the Cipriano case common sense tells you that he would steer clear of going after a mother again, especially such a well supported mother.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:16:30 AM by John »
Moral Guilt
Robert Anderson

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »
If, as you say, Amaral's thinking was coloured by him being made an arguido in the Cipriano case common sense tells you that he would steer clear of going after a mother again, especially such a well supported mother.
Once bitten, twice shy.