Author Topic: Was Amaral Biased Against the McCanns and If So Why?  (Read 27977 times)

Offline faithlilly

Was Amaral Biased Against the McCanns and If So Why?
« on: April 14, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
It would seem accepted wisdom among those who support the McCanns that Amaral held some kind of bias against them and wasn't simply following the evidence presented to him.

It would be interesting to discuss therefore the origin of that bias and why it wasn't directed instead against Murat who was, it could be argued, the perfect scapegoat and, not having the worldwide support of the McCanns, would have been far easier to frame.

Cipriano is also held up as proof that Amaral had a bias against women in general, and mother's in particular. However after Amaral was made arguido in the Cipriano case in the days after Madeleine's disappearance wouldn't it have been easier for him to steer well clear of another entanglement with a perhaps guilty mother, especially one with so much support?

It is also odd that bias is argued towards women when it is obvious that Amaral must have put behind bars many, many more men in his career than women.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:36:37 PM by John »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

ferryman

Re: Was Amaral Biased Against the McCanns and If So Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 02:22:39 PM »
It would seem accepted wisdom among those who support the McCanns that Amaral held some kind of bias against them and wasn't simply following the evidence presented to him.

It would be interesting to discuss therefore the origin of that bias and why it wasn't directed instead against Murat who was, it could be argued, the perfect scapegoat and, not having the worldwide support of the McCanns, would have been far easier to frame.

Cipriano is also held up as proof that Amaral had a bias against women in general, and mother's in particular. However after Amaral was made arguido in the Cipriano case in the days after Madeleine's disappearance wouldn't it have been easier for him to steer well clear of another entanglement with a perhaps guilty mother, especially one with so much support?

It is also odd that bias is argued towards women when it is obvious that Amaral must have put behind bars many, many more men in his career than women.

The prosecutors having made plain in their archiving dispatch that the McCanns have no case to answer, Amaral wrote a book accusing the McCanns of serious criminal offences.

Will that do?

stephen25000

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 02:24:07 PM »
The prosecutors having made plain in their archiving dispatch that the McCanns have no case to answer, Amaral wrote a book accusing the McCanns of serious criminal offences.

Will that do?

The prosecutors did not know who was involved, if anyone.

Try to be precise.

stephen25000

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 02:41:12 PM »
The prosecutors did/do know Kate and Gerry have no case to answer.

And they said so.

It's been cited often enough.

You still don't get it.

The prosecutors did not know how Madeleine disappeared.

The McCann's remain the last known people to have seen her alive.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 03:03:14 PM »

Will that do?

No it won't.

Supporters suggest Amaral was biased towards the McCanns from the very beginning of the investigation so why, in the beginning, do supporters suggest that that bias existed?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

ferryman

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »
No it won't.

Supporters suggest Amaral was biased towards the McCanns from the very beginning of the investigation so why, in the beginning, do supporters suggest that that bias existed?

.... from the very beginning of the investigation.

Do you have a cite?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »
.... from the very beginning of the investigation.

Do you have a cite?

I'm asking for an opinion. Many supporters say Amaral suspected the McCanns from the 4th of May so do you believe it was bias on his part or simply what the intitial evidence suggested? And if bias where did that bias originate?

Offline misty

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 06:20:08 PM »
I'm asking for an opinion. Many supporters say Amaral suspected the McCanns from the 4th of May so do you believe it was bias on his part or simply what the intitial evidence suggested? And if bias where did that bias originate?

Maybe it stemmed from the Mariana case he investigated in the Azores back in the 90's (I cannot find any media reports online about it, though)
http://goncaloamaraltruthofthelie.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/chapter-15.html

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »
No it won't.

Yes there was a bias against Kate not the McCanns as a family.  Gerry was re-interviewed but not Kate until it was clear they intended to make them arguidos.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

stephen25000

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
Yes there was a bias against Kate not the McCanns as a family.  Gerry was re-interviewed but not Kate until it was clear they intended to make them arguidos.

You need to get up to speed on that.

Investigation and questioning the parents would be the normal procedure, and certainly with no evidence of abduction.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 06:41:45 PM »
You need to get up to speed on that.

Investigation and questioning the parents would be the normal procedure, and certainly with no evidence of abduction.
I would have expected "Investigation and questioning the parents would (as) the normal procedure" not the refusal to re-interview Kate the second time in a more reasonable time frame.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 06:45:25 PM »
Maybe it stemmed from the Mariana case he investigated in the Azores back in the 90's (I cannot find any media reports online about it, though)
http://goncaloamaraltruthofthelie.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/chapter-15.html

How so?

Offline misty

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 08:09:21 PM »
How so?

Possibly the circumstances of the Azores case had a deeper psychological impact on him than he would ever admit in his book. In that event, the team were able to prove that a terrible crime had been committed, despite the attempted cover-up by Mariana's parents, because there was a body.
He wrote:_
"At the time of the confessions, the man described the scene for us in a very cold way, factually, showing not the slightest regret. I had to leave my colleague to continue the interrogation alone. I was so upset. How could a father come to kill his own child? I had to get a grip on myself, I had experienced such things before.....I needed all my composure if I wanted to continue the investigation with the required objectivity. Truth and justice, that's all that remains for these children".

Do you not think after the Azores, then the Ciprianos, it was a case of déjà vu for Amaral when Madeleine was reported missing/abducted, hence his bias?
Or was it something much darker?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »
Possibly the circumstances of the Azores case had a deeper psychological impact on him than he would ever admit in his book. In that event, the team were able to prove that a terrible crime had been committed, despite the attempted cover-up by Mariana's parents, because there was a body.
"At the time of the confessions, the man described the scene for us in a very cold way, factually, showing not the slightest regret. I had to leave my colleague to continue the interrogation alone. I was so upset. How could a father come to kill his own child? I had to get a grip on myself, I had experienced such things before.....I needed all my composure if I wanted to continue the investigation with the required objectivity. Truth and justice, that's all that remains for these children".

Do you not think after the Azores, then the Ciprianos, it was a case of déjà vu for Amaral when Madeleine was reported missing/abducted, hence his bias?

Or was it?
Cue Man Alive Intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0VrTUhPw6M
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 09:54:15 PM »

No.......and no.