Author Topic: New Madeleine Book on Kindle  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Faithlilly

New Madeleine Book on Kindle
« on: April 15, 2017, 11:16:15 AM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06ZYP2BMN/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doubt by Nick Van Der Leek.

Did the little girl at the centre of the most heavily reported missing-persons case in modern history ever go “missing” to begin with?

If Madeleine was never abducted, if she died on May 3rd, why was it reported as an abduction?

Despite the absence of a trial, what we have now is a fairly precise version of events from the McCanns themselves, a by-product of their relentless PR. We also know the original lead investigator, Goncalo Amaral’s, counter-narrative, now a legally defensible matter of public record.

The questions that arise from these opposing narratives are dead simple:

Which narrative is more credible?

What was the motive behind all the publicity? Neither Madeleine nor her abductor ultimately benefited from the ongoing media barrage, so who did?

True crime maestro, Nick van der Leek, plumbs quagmires of confusion and a thicket of thorny inconsistencies to probe what lies beneath: the psychologies. What is the significance of "doctors" as suspects? Did it matter or mean anything that the McCanns and their cabal of friends in the Algarve were mostly doctors?

Peeling away the gossamer threads, over the course of just four days [April 29th – May 2nd], van der Leek intuits that very little was routine: not the weather, not where meals were eaten, not where or when they slept and not what they did as a family. But what were their routines when it came to other, murkier things, like sleeping patterns, cell phones and sedatives?

Drawing intangibles out of the darkness, van der Leek sews the vexing loose ends from several conflicting stories into a definite - if not definitive - end-result.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:28:07 AM by John »
Moral Guilt
Detractors of the work of our British Police in bringing criminals to justice generally ignore the important distinction between moral proof and legal evidence of guilt. In not a few cases that are popularly classed with 'unsolved mysteries of crime,' the offender is known, but evidence is wanting. If, for example, in- a recent murder case of special notoriety and interest,* certain human remains had not been found in a cellar, a great crime would have been catalogued among `Police failures'; and yet, even without the evidence which sent the murderer to the gallows, the moral proof of his guilt would have been full and clear.
Robert Anderson

Offline jassi

Re: New Madeleine Book on Kindle
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 01:17:54 PM »
I see I can read this for nothing on my Kindle.  Is that a reflection of the book's value?

Shall we be seeing an attempt to remove from Amazon, or is it generally favourable to the McCann version of events?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -  10 years and still no solution.

Alfie

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:39:26 PM »
This is the second advertisement for this book posted by Faithlilly on this forum - I doubt it is supportive of the abduction theory....  @)(++(*
So is it a good read Faithlilly?

Offline stephen25000

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
This is the second advertisement for this book posted by Faithlilly on this forum - I doubt it is supportive of the abduction theory....  @)(++(*
So is it a good read Faithlilly?

Why don't you download it Alf ? 8)-)))
The McCanns were solely responsible for their childcare arrangements and there is no one else to blame.

S and S, two more amateurs making money from a disappeared child, and clearly without a clue.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »
I see I can read this for nothing on my Kindle.  Is that a reflection of the book's value?

Shall we be seeing an attempt to remove from Amazon, or is it generally favourable to the McCann version of events?
The book is available for 'free' if you have paid for Amazon Prime, otherwise it is pay for.

I have purchased a copy just in case it gets whooshed from Amazon.
In mods I trust!

Offline davel

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 01:48:10 PM »
The book is available for 'free' if you have paid for Amazon Prime, otherwise it is pay for.

Seems you are mixed up
It's free if you take out a kindle subscription
Not prime

Offline jassi

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 01:55:29 PM »

Not strictly true - you don't need Prime, though you do need a Kindle Unlimited subscription -£9 or so a month.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -  10 years and still no solution.

Offline stephen25000

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 02:23:55 PM »
I have just been looking up Mr. Van der Leek.

He has written several books on different cases, including on the Pistorius case, which is quite graphic.
The McCanns were solely responsible for their childcare arrangements and there is no one else to blame.

S and S, two more amateurs making money from a disappeared child, and clearly without a clue.

Offline stephen25000

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »
Not strictly true - you don't need Prime, though you do need a Kindle Unlimited subscription -£9 or so a month.

There is an initial 7 day free access, which can be extended by 30 days.

Alfie

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
Why don't you download it Alf ? 8)-)))
I don't do that sort of thing ie: read books electronically, especially not free ones.

Offline Faithlilly

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 04:17:25 PM »
I don't do that sort of thing ie: read books electronically, especially not free ones.

It is only free if you have a subscription to Amazon Unlimited.
Moral Guilt
Detractors of the work of our British Police in bringing criminals to justice generally ignore the important distinction between moral proof and legal evidence of guilt. In not a few cases that are popularly classed with 'unsolved mysteries of crime,' the offender is known, but evidence is wanting. If, for example, in- a recent murder case of special notoriety and interest,* certain human remains had not been found in a cellar, a great crime would have been catalogued among `Police failures'; and yet, even without the evidence which sent the murderer to the gallows, the moral proof of his guilt would have been full and clear.
Robert Anderson

Alfie

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »
It is only free if you have a subscription to Amazon Unlimited.
I have a subscription to Prime, is that different?  Not that I intend to download this book.  Is it top notch?

Offline Faithlilly

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 05:41:18 PM »
I have a subscription to Prime, is that different?  Not that I intend to download this book.  Is it top notch?

No Prime's different.

No idea how good it is as I've still to read it.
Moral Guilt
Robert Anderson

Alfie

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »
No Prime's different.

No idea how good it is as I've still to read it.
Well I look forward to reading your 5 star review of it.

Alfie

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 07:14:05 PM »
Can't be a very long read as it has already attracted one (rather predictable) review:

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read 15 April 2017
By C.O. Franssen - Published on Amazon.com
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
As a fan of Nick & Lisa’s true crime books I am delighted to see they have now focused their attention on one of the biggest mysteries of our time: what happened to Madeleine McCann? Their new book DOUBT is exactly what I have come to expect from this author and editor: a fine intuitive analysis of an enormous amount of information, leading to a tentative but very plausible conclusion. It is refreshing to see the Portugese police inquiry validated. A mythological flavour is added through the symbol of the raven, woven as a black thread of DOUBT though the narrative. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, it’s very good.