Author Topic: The Murders At White House Farm by Carol Ann Lee  (Read 74348 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

The Murders At White House Farm by Carol Ann Lee
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:26:47 PM »
http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Murders-at-White-House-Farm-Carol-Ann-Lee/9780283072222

"On 7 August 1985, Nevill and June Bamber, their daughter Sheila and her two young sons Nicholas and Daniel were discovered shot to death at White House Farm in Essex. The murder weapon was found on Sheila's body; a bible lay at her side. All the windows and doors of the farmhouse were secure, and the Bambers' son, 24-year-old Jeremy, had alerted police after apparently receiving a phone call from his father, who told him Sheila had 'gone berserk' with the gun. It seemed a straightforward case of murder-suicide, but a dramatic turn of events was to disprove the police's theory. In October 1986, Jeremy Bamber was convicted of killing his entire family in order to inherit his parents' substantial estates. He has always maintained his innocence. Drawing on interviews and correspondence with many of those closely connected to the events - including Jeremy Bamber - and a wealth of previously unpublished documentation, Carol Ann Lee brings astonishing clarity to a complex and emotive case. She describes the years of rising tension in the family that culminated in the murders, and provides clear insight into the background of each individual and their relationships within the family unit. Scrupulously fair in its analysis, The Murders at White House Farm is an absorbing portrait of a family, a time and a place, and a gripping account of one of Britain's most notorious crimes."

About the Author

"Carol Ann Lee is the highly acclaimed author of ten books, including One of Your Own: The Life and Death of Myra Hindley, Witness: The Story of David Smith and A Fine Day for a Hanging: The Real Ruth Ellis Story. Witness and A Fine Day for a Hanging were both shortlisted for CWA Non-Fiction Dagger Awards."

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:54:51 PM by John »
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

Re: The Murders At White House Farm by Carol Ann Lee
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
I've no idea of the reason but it appears two slightly different covers exist:

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 07:04:37 PM »
The numbers:

CAL's link has 12 full lines of text about the book and 2 full lines about the author:

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6386.msg246982#msg246982

PH's link has 9 full lines of text about the book and 10 full lines about the author:

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6384.msg246801#msg246801

CAL's book:

Dimensions: 23.4cm x 15.3cm

Number of pages: 320

Amazon price - hardcover: £14.88 = £0.0465 per page

PH's book:

Dimensions: 23cm x 15cm

Number of pages: 216

Amazon price - hardcover: £13.99 = £0.0647 per page

@)(++(* a new username (if I ever feel I need a change) could be Seriously Sad  8)><(

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 07:17:16 PM »
From the Inside Flap

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Murders-White-House-Farm/dp/0283072210

Light spilled from the windows of White House Farm and inside a dog whimpered as Essex Police approached on 7 August 1985. When they entered they found the bodies of Nevill and June Bamber, their daughter Sheila and her two young sons. It looked as if Sheila had shot them all then turned the gun on herself.

As the media destroyed Sheila's reputation, the behaviour of her brother Jeremy was raising suspicions in his horrified relatives. Had he committed the murders in order to inherit from his wealthy parents? Dramatic new evidence suggested he had, and he was convicted the following year. He has always protested his innocence.

Drawing on extensive new research, including correspondence with Jeremy Bamber, Carol Ann Lee describes the years of rising tension in the family that culminated in the murders and takes us through the twists and turns of the investigation and trial. Scrupulously fair, The Murders at White House Farm is an absorbing portrait of a family, a time and place, and a gripping account of one of Britain's most notorious crimes.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »
I ask myself will a third book surface?  &%+((£

?>)()< 8(>(( ?{)(** 8)--)) 8)-))) @)(++(* 8@??)( 8**8:/: 8(*( *&*%£ 8((()*/ &%54%

Offline Myster

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 08:19:01 PM »
I ask myself will a third book surface?  &%+((£

?>)()< 8(>(( ?{)(** 8)--)) 8)-))) @)(++(* 8@??)( 8**8:/: 8(*( *&*%£ 8((()*/ &%54%

So long as it isn't any biased science-fiction potboiler by Miss H.G. Wells.  8((()*/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 08:30:13 PM by Myster »
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »
Are you feeling OK tonight?  @)(++(*
So long as it isn't any proposed biased book by Miss H.G. Wells.  8((()*/

Early start on the razz  8((()*/

I'm no book reader and even less of a writer so you're ok there. 

We've heard about the forthcoming books by CAL and PH for so long I just have a feeling a third, hitherto unknown, might surface  &%+((£  Nothing concrete.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »
According to The Robert Smith literary agency CAL is going to answer once and for all the question of whether JB murdered his family or not.

"Carol Ann Lee has written the definitive story of the killing of the Bamber family in Essex 30 years ago, The Murders At White House Farm, to be published by Sidgwick & Jackson in July. Did Jeremy Bamber murder his family? Carol has interviewed everyone involved, including Bamber himself, and has reassessed all the evidence, much of it new, to answer that question once and for all".

http://www.robertsmithliteraryagency.com/

I wonder if any of the books will be serialised in the papers? 

Offline Myster

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »
According to The Robert Smith literary agency CAL is going to answer once and for all the question of whether JB murdered his family or not.

"Carol Ann Lee has written the definitive story of the killing of the Bamber family in Essex 30 years ago, The Murders At White House Farm, to be published by Sidgwick & Jackson in July. Did Jeremy Bamber murder his family? Carol has interviewed everyone involved, including Bamber himself, and has reassessed all the evidence, much of it new, to answer that question once and for all".

http://www.robertsmithliteraryagency.com/

I wonder if any of the books will be serialised in the papers? 

We're in for a treat!... not just one, but two books that will answer the question "once and for all".  8@??)(

Looks like you'll have reassess your position, Holls!  8(8-))

It'll not be much dearer buying a book than forking out for numerous daily or weekly newspapers... although they'd reach a larger audience.

Something fishy about this move to Wakefield.  &%+((£   Do you think JB knows the conclusion of these books and is about to confess?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 03:23:03 PM »
We're in for a treat!... not just one, but two books that will answer the question "once and for all".  8@??)(

Looks like you'll have reassess your position, Holls!  8(8-))

It'll not be much dearer buying a book than forking out for numerous daily or weekly newspapers... although they'd reach a larger audience.

Something fishy about this move to Wakefield.  &%+((£   Do you think JB knows the conclusion of these books and is about to confess?

I have no idea what CAL's position is.  Initially her book was due for release Apr 2014 and titled 'Blood Guilt':

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Blood_Guilt.html?id=DUQVnwEACAAJ

I thought 'Blood Guilt' may have been a ref to the open pages of the bible; the relationship between June and SC with  June supposedly referring to SC as the Devil's child and SC perhaps believing this based on her unknown parentage/adoption; June struggling to come to terms with her illegitimate adopted children based on her religiosity/sexual morality,  hence 'Blood Guilt'.  A bit heavy but there doesn't seem to be anything light about WHF.

In the write up re the forthcoming book CAL refers to the years of rising tensions within the family that culminated in the murders.  I took this to mean SC's life: school expulsions, unplanned pregnancies, abortions, miscarriages, sacked from her job, unable to gain permanent employment, divorce, financial problems, difficulty parenting her children, recreational drugs, lifelong difficult relationship with June and meeting her birth mother ie the emphasis on SC being responsible.

However I see in a slightly different write up she refers to setting the crime against the historical context showing JB as a brash outsider; a product of Thatcher's 80's who thought he could and should have it all:

https://m.mightyape.co.nz/product/The-Murders-at-White-House-Farm-Hardback/22962849

This sounds like she's angling at a guilty JB on the basis of greed.   

Have to wait and see.  Exciting times! 

I can see how up-to-date books on the case could make for an interesting read but I struggle with any smoking gun emerging either way.  Sadly I think the whole sorry saga will drag on.

There are a number of ?'s re JB's move to Monster Mansion:

1.  JB parting company with SM around the end 2013. 

2.  No announcement of a replacement to SM.

3.  PH supposedly changing stance   around end of 2013/beginning of 2014.  I say supposedly as we don't know what his earlier views were and how strong they were either way.  Or his motivation(s) for writing a book about WHF and how much influence others have had, if any, in making it as sellable as possible.   I recall  he posted on Blue some info had come to light that he needed to let the authorities know about.  This was around the time his book was delayed and he changed stance.

4.  A number of posters on Blue changing stance, or claiming they have changed stance, around the time of 3 above.  Namely the CApris and Susan M-Ing-ing-ham.

5.  DS Jones passing away beginning 2014.

6.  CAL and PH delaying publication of their books from Apr 2014 to Jul 2015.

7.   PH's claims of death threats in connection with JB's case.

8.  The CT, JB and others insisting an application is winging its way to CCRC but no sign of.

9.  The imminent release of two case related books which coincide with the 30th anniversary of the tragedy.

10.  JB moved to Monster Mansion.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 08:32:54 PM »
Still think a third book might emerge by a serious player - a heavyweight - with serialisation in a broadsheet.  Nothing concrete just a feeling!

Offline puglove

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 10:18:45 PM »
Still think a third book might emerge by a serious player - a heavyweight - with serialisation in a broadsheet.  Nothing concrete just a feeling!

Oh Holl, hope certainly springs eternal in your breast, doesn't it? (Myster, stop thinking about Holly's breast   ?8)@)-) )

Well, you'd better hope that this miraculous third book comes up with something a bit more promising than some shitty little cakes that look like they were made by Mr. Tumble, and a weird, kinky pineapple nipple thingy. Because at the moment, it looks like that's the best he's got.     8)><(    xxx
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline Myster

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 10:39:22 PM »

(Myster, stop thinking about Holly's breast   ?8)@)-) )

8)><(   No choice but to end it all then... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH7oxaOv9ao

Offline puglove

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 11:21:11 PM »
8)><(   No choice but to end it all then... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH7oxaOv9ao

Ah, that song is my guilty pleasure.

I didn't know that Nelly covered it, though.

Mmmm. Sweaty moobs.       ?{)(**

Offline puglove

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 11:56:26 PM »
Ah, that song is my guilty pleasure.

I didn't know that Nelly covered it, though.

Mmmm. Sweaty moobs.       ?{)(**

This will probably get deleted but, with the exception of Holly (who is battling with her own demons) ....I have zero respect for anyone who supports Bamber. Silly , angry, hubristic old men, daft old women who smell of wee, daft tarts who can't see the wood for the trees, and dodgy blokes who are too lazy to do their homework. Scipio has told you exactly how it happened.

Bamber now resides at Monster Mansions. Where he belongs. Because he's a child killer. And no amount of books will help him.

8((()*/