Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1353038 times)

Offline gilet

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 01:55:57 AM »
If the investigation is at such a critical stage,  and secrecy is imperative  ...  why is the McCanns criminal  lawyer talking to the press  ?

Didn't you notice he was extremely careful not to mention anything to do with the current investigation or have you still not absorbed the information that the McCanns who he did talk about are not part of that current investigation?

Offline gilet

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 02:16:51 AM »
I've searched but found nothing about the mundane Dr Alves being present or not at the PJ headquarters. I do guess he was, he even might have organized the final talk, a sort of preamble to the request of assistant statute ("private prosecutor" !, those tabloids exceed themselves !).
DCI Redwood likely took the McCanns in his luggages so to speak.
RA was very useful as a spin doctor to convince that the PJ, miraculously, after 6 years and a half of blindness and deafness have finally understood the vanity of investigating such special victims.

This is a very sour post from you.

Inferring that DCI took the McCanns in his luggage (sic).
Guesswork without any evidence of anything.
You seem very bitter about the PJ having finally, after a two year review, realised there is no evidence of any crime by the McCanns, something we all saw as soon as the archival report was released.
And you seem very bitter about the McCanns themselves with your phrase, "special victims".

All victims of crime are special and deserve to be treated as such.

And on another matter, I have just spotted what I think is a translation error.  You may be able to help.

Am I correct in thinking that 'eles perderam' is the mais-que perfeito (pluperfect) and would be translated as 'they had lost' rather than 'they lost'?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2013, 02:52:23 AM »
So the same  Public Prosecutor has been put in charge 

....   the one who said the McCanns  'failed to prove their innocence'  by refusing to do a reconstruction  ? 

interesting
Yes Magalhães e Menezes, the one who said also the investigation was disturbed, because facts, without a reconstruction, remained unclarified.

Offline gilet

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 03:06:44 AM »
Yes Magalhães e Menezes, the one who said also the investigation was disturbed, because facts, without a reconstruction, remained unclarified.

And who also made it very, very clear that there was no evidence of any crime by the McCanns.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 03:06:53 AM »
This is a very sour post from you.

Inferring that DCI took the McCanns in his luggage (sic).
Guesswork without any evidence of anything.
You seem very bitter about the PJ having finally, after a two year review, realised there is no evidence of any crime by the McCanns, something we all saw as soon as the archival report was released.
And you seem very bitter about the McCanns themselves with your phrase, "special victims".

All victims of crime are special and deserve to be treated as such.

And on another matter, I have just spotted what I think is a translation error.  You may be able to help.

Am I correct in thinking that 'eles perderam' is the mais-que perfeito (pluperfect) and would be translated as 'they had lost' rather than 'they lost'?
Perderam is morphologically identical in two tenses (only for the 3rd plural) one being the Pretérito perfeito and the other the Pretérito mais que Perfeito. Therefore the translation depends on the context. In case of ambiguity the Portuguese will use the (more current) form, the compound one, of the Mais que Perfeito.
Instead of spotting bitterness where there's only some irony (no cynicism), what about sharing your special informations ? And what about the notorious waiter, you know the one, don't you ?

Offline Benice

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2013, 03:07:45 AM »

The same man who having considered all of the 'foregoing' evidence (which included the non-reconstruction - for which he attributed no blame to the McCanns)  clearly and unequivocably came to the conclusion that it was apparent that the parents had no involvement in the disappearance of their daughter.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline gilet

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2013, 03:10:09 AM »
Perderam is morphologically identical in two tenses (only for the 3rd plural) one being the Pretérito perfeito and the other the Pretérito mais que Perfeito. Therefore the translation depends on the context. In case of ambiguity the Portuguese will use the (more current) form, the compound one, of the Mais que Perfeito.
Instead of spotting bitterness where there's only some irony (no cynicism), what about sharing your special informations ? And what about the notorious waiter, you know the one, don't you ?

The waiter you refer to is not a waiter. Had you read the full quote I posted and the page I referred to you would be aware of that.

And I will comment on clear bitterness in posts when I see it. I saw it and commented.

Thank you for the comments about the word 'perderam'. They confirm that there is indeed a small but significant error in a translation within the online English version of the files which I shall return to at a later date.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2013, 03:14:33 AM »
The same man who having considered all of the 'foregoing' evidence (which included the non-reconstruction - for which he attributed no blame to the McCanns)  clearly and unequivocably came to the conclusion that it was apparent that the parents had no involvement in the disappearance of their daughter.
Who knows when things aren't what they appear to be ?

Offline Benice

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2013, 03:17:10 AM »

[ censored word ]s?
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

AnneGuedes

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 03:18:40 AM »
The waiter you refer to is not a waiter. Had you read the full quote I posted and the page I referred to you would be aware of that.

And I will comment on clear bitterness in posts when I see it. I saw it and commented.

Where is your full quote and what is the name of the witness ?
Invent bitterness if it gives you a kick !

Offline Chinagirl

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2013, 07:17:54 AM »
It is time to abandon this preoccupation with the reconstruction not taking place, and the phrase "failed to prove their innocence." 

Clearly their innocence has been accepted by both strands of the current enquiry, which is why Rogerio Alves was able to state that the McCanns are not being investigated, and that he is applying to have them made 'assistentes' in the re-opened investigation.

The sceptics here seem very reluctant to accept that this is a NEW enquiry which is concentrating on stranger abduction (not concealment of death by Madeleine's parents), so the previous investigation has been rendered obsolete.
A

Offline gilet

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »

What precisely does that comment mean because it certainly is not clear?

Are you suggesting that hidden forces are at work?

Are you suggesting that the AG report at the archival stage of the case was not what it appeared to be?

Have you been taken in by Amaral latterly clutching at excuses for his dismissal?  Because even he originally told us the reason was that he had been caught talking out of turn about the case.

Offline gilet

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2013, 08:40:43 AM »
Where is your full quote and what is the name of the witness ?
Invent bitterness if it gives you a kick !

No-one reading your post above could fail to see the bitterness it exuded. It did not give me a kick. It may have done that for you but it rather made me sick that someone could have such bitterness.

The full quote is on this forum where I posted it in English. And is in the full page image (in Portuguese) which Luz kindly posted.

Offline xtina

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »
And who also made it very, very clear that there was no evidence of any crime by the McCanns.

Kate McCann's lawyer Carlos Pinto de Abreu: ''If you were Portuguese this would be enough to put you in prison.''
Always listen to both sides of the story before you judge.

The first storyteller you will always find has modified the story, for there benefit BE WISE.

Offline imustpointout

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
They are not Portuguese and they are not in prison. In fact they were in a meeting with Portuguese investigating team/authorities very recently.