Author Topic: The Boris Bounce and all the Benefits of Brexit  (Read 35710 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: The Boris Bounce and all the Benefits of Brexit
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2020, 11:18:28 PM »
What's the word before debacle?

Mark François apparently telling the head of the armed forces to sort themselves out (over whatever this debacle was about) or else Cummings will do so.

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1280570038043447297

Nothing surprises me about this government anymore.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
It appears you don’t either.

I have a good grasp of why the remoaners want to stay... HESLETINE has 900k reasons  and mandleson et,el are all in it for the same reasons...IMO unless the remoaners have reasons which differ.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1365120/RICHARD-KAY-Heseltines-900-000-EU-handout.html

He isn't letting go his MONEEEEEEE

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1307799/brexit-latest-eu-news-trade-deal-lord-heseltine-tory-party-latest-boris-johnson-spt

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #197 on: July 13, 2020, 12:52:56 PM »
I have a good grasp of why the remoaners want to stay... HESLETINE has 900k reasons  and mandleson et,el are all in it for the same reasons...IMO unless the remoaners have reasons which differ.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1365120/RICHARD-KAY-Heseltines-900-000-EU-handout.html

He isn't letting go his MONEEEEEEE

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1307799/brexit-latest-eu-news-trade-deal-lord-heseltine-tory-party-latest-boris-johnson-spt

Some reading matter that, crazily, does not come from the rabid rightwing press......no need to thank me.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2020, 09:48:42 PM »
Some reading matter that, crazily, does not come from the rabid rightwing press......no need to thank me.

Oh It wouldn't matter if it came from Jeremy Corbyns sweet pink ass- it is very true.  So according ton you, right wing press don't do truth then?  Just the Guardian. OK Note to self... do not print truth unless story is in Guardian.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »
Before even opening the link, I'd guessed who the author was. lol

Love John Cace.

Offline Carana

« Reply #203 on: July 30, 2020, 12:53:55 PM »
Brexit + Covid-19.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/29/uk/eu-brexit-intl-gbr/index.html

Sunny uplands?

Or more... Pink Floyd?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2020, 01:33:04 PM »
Hard cheese: Liz Truss walked away from trade talks over stilton
new
Oliver Wright, Policy Editor
Tuesday August 11 2020, 12.00pm, The Times
Liz Truss speaks to Toshimitsu Motegi as they begin negotiations in June on a free trade agreement
Liz Truss speaks to Toshimitsu Motegi as they begin negotiations in June on a free trade agreement
PA
Save
If anyone was in any doubt that trade deals are just as much about politics as they are about trade then the curious case of the stilton “wedge” should disabuse them.

It was revealed today that the trade secretary Liz Truss walked away from signing a historic post-Brexit trade deal with Japan last week in support of a British cheese worth about 0.007 per cent of UK exports to the country.

Ms Truss had been hoping to announce the symbolic deal to protect £14.8 billion of UK exports to Japan following two days of negotiations with the country’s foreign minister, Toshimitsu Motegi.

But Mr Motegi flew back to Tokyo on Friday with no deal in place after Ms Truss demanded better terms for stilton producers than the deal Britain had as part of its membership of the EU, the Financial Times reported.

The talks will continue at an official level in an attempt to resolve the differences and have an agreement ratified before the completion of the transition period at the end of this year.

Taking a stand over an export to Japan that is only worth around £100,000 a year might seem curious. But from the UK side — needing a political “win” that can be sold easily to the British public — stilton is a good battle to pick.

Under the existing EU deal with Japan, from which Britain benefits, Japanese tariffs of 29 per cent on hard cheeses such as cheddar will be phased out to zero by 2033.

But for other cheeses, such as “blue-veined” stilton, only a quota of exports would be tariff free.

The UK wanted to improve on those terms to demonstrate that the government could negotiate a bespoke deal that served British interests — even if the potential gain was small in economic terms.

But Japan has long argued that it cannot give Britain a better deal than that agreed with the EU, whose 27 nations have a population almost seven times bigger than the UK’s.

There is also concern on the Japanese side that any concessions made to the UK could trigger the reopening of the EU deal as Brussels demands the same access for its soft-blue cheese exports.

Ms Truss has long advocated British cheese’s place in international markets.

She trended on social media in 2014 after a speech to the Conservative party conference in which she said: “We import two thirds of our cheese: that is a disgrace!”

Today her department did not deny that stilton had become an issue in the talks but said it could not comment on negotiations that were continuing.

According to UK government figures, a “modelled” trade deal with Japan might add 0.07 per cent to Britain’s GDP in the long term, compared with the loss of 5 per cent of GDP growth associated with the UK leaving the EU single market and customs union.

-----------------------------------------------

Oh well, we didn't need a deal with Japan anyway.  Let's only deal with countries that ARE prepared to give us better terms than they give to the EU - anyone know which countries those are btw...?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2020, 05:25:09 PM »
I am sailing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOt3oQ_k008

or how about

Fiscal Pastime Paradise?

https://youtu.be/sLErN7Ps6sU?t=26

Offline Carana

« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2022, 04:57:52 PM »
I'm still waiting for all the sunlit uplands / benefits of Brexit...

What has been made easier / cheaper for anyone (even on this forum) here as a result?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2022, 09:18:20 PM »

What has been made easier / cheaper for anyone (even on this forum) here as a result?
Sweet FA
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2022, 08:44:53 AM »

Did those who voted for Brexit do so in hopes that their lives would be easier and/or cheaper? I think there were other reasons.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2022, 11:39:54 AM »
Did those who voted for Brexit do so in hopes that their lives would be easier and/or cheaper? I think there were other reasons.
I think the fishermen voted because they thought it would mean they would regain their fishing waters and thus make them better off.  I think many in red wall areas voted Brexit to reduce immigration and keep British jobs for British people.  I think farmers voted for Brexit because they thought it would open up more markets for them and mean less bureaucracy.  I think I think some businessmen voted for Brexit for the same reasons.  I think many people voted for Brexit because they thought it would be better to channel the money we spent as part of our membership on improving the NHS and other infrastructure.  I think many who voted for Brexit did so because they were under the impression that we would be unshackled from European Law and be able to do as we pleased, rather than what Europe told us and that that in turn would make this country great again.  So, yes I think many people voted for Brexit because they thought it would improve their lot, not make life more difficult and more expensive.  I did say at the time however (and got roundly criticised by you for saying it iirc) that the turkeys were voting for Christmas, and so far at any rate, this would seem to be the case.  But still we have our sovereignty and our blue (black) passports which undoubtedly makes up for all the negatives.  By the way  what has "having our sovereignty" actually meant for the average person in this country?