Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius pre sentencing hearings.  (Read 17324 times)

Offline John

Re: Oscar Pistorius pre sentencing hearings.
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 08:33:21 PM »
Well would you believe it...  Pistorius is going to be sentenced on my birthday!

Tuesday 21st October...Trafalgar Day!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:19:12 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 12:26:55 AM »
Very powerful testimony today from Kim Martin, Reeva's cousin. Another dignified, quality lady from that fine family. Hopefully her very emotional testimony will make it harder for that judge to give OP house arrest'. It will certainly make the outcry even louder if OP 'walks'!

Fingers crossed for good news on your birthday John!

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 05:55:10 AM »
Very powerful testimony today from Kim Martin, Reeva's cousin. Another dignified, quality lady from that fine family. Hopefully her very emotional testimony will make it harder for that judge to give OP house arrest'. It will certainly make the outcry even louder if OP 'walks'!

Fingers crossed for good news on your birthday John!

He is going to walk........oops sorry no pun intended.

I think it will be a travesty of justice, knew this would be the outcome from the beginning, he is a CELEBRITY, they can get away with everything as they bring money into the country.

If he does I hope the parents can do something anything to make this man pay for what he did.

Offline John

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »
I had great respect for Barry Roux up until I heard his pathetic crawling speech on behalf of Pistorius this morning.  He is totally wrong about the penalty, the sentence is nothing to do with punishment but everything to do with the deprivation of liberty.  Pistorius intended to kill, this was not an accident.

Gerrie Nel on the other hand has a point, a house arrest sentence is a farce considering what he did.

Nothing less than a custodial sentence will do!  His disability should not be a factor in sentencing him.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:09:41 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Anna

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
― Plato

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 07:16:05 PM »
I thought Gerrie Nell started off with a great closing argument then half way through just lost his thread! He finished off like a damp squib and didn't have an answer ready when the judge asked how long the sentence should be! I expected Gerrie to be demanding a prison sentence and to close the case quoting the words of Kim Martin!

I really like Gerrie Nell but he should have done better today!

Glad to see the judge asking questions of the prisons official yesterday and "what sentence" today. It seems like she is actually considering prison for Oscar! I do hope so!

Offline Anna

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 10:31:11 PM »
I thought Gerrie Nell started off with a great closing argument then half way through just lost his thread! He finished off like a damp squib and didn't have an answer ready when the judge asked how long the sentence should be! I expected Gerrie to be demanding a prison sentence and to close the case quoting the words of Kim Martin!

I really like Gerrie Nell but he should have done better today!

Glad to see the judge asking questions of the prisons official yesterday and "what sentence" today. It seems like she is actually considering prison for Oscar! I do hope so!

I do believe it will be prison now, but we will have to wait until tuesday to know for sure
― Plato

Offline John

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the number of years the honourable judge might impose?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:29:49 PM by John »

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 01:08:49 AM »
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the number of years the honourable judge might impose?

My guess is 5 years with 2.5 of those suspended .... so 2 yrs 6 months in prison. Woefully inadequate but the best I can guess judging that judge!

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 06:08:13 PM »
No idea really as I don't know how these things work.  Culpable homicide and negligently discharging a firearm.  The prosecution have called for 10 years so they must think the max for culpable homicide of 15 years is out of the question.  I cant recall the maximum sentence for the firearm offence - 5 years I think.  So out of a max of 20 I think Tim's 5 is a little on the low side.  I would go for 10 years max to 7.5 min for the two offences. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline John

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
I find it hard to second guess this judge, she isn't giving much away.  I will go for three years if she even sends him to jail at all.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:00:35 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline Anna

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 10:49:18 PM »

If he goes to prison(not sure he will) 2 to 5 years. Difficult to estimate with this Judge. We'll know tomorrow and I hope my computer lasts that long.  8(8-)) New one coming tomorrow  ?{)(**
― Plato

Offline Anna

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:40:35 AM by Anna »
― Plato

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
My guess is 5 years with 2.5 of those suspended .... so 2 yrs 6 months in prison. Woefully inadequate but the best I can guess judging that judge!

Well done hun, spot on the money. I hope its hard labour but I doubt it......its a small victory for the family.