Author Topic: Ex Pats and the Winter Fuel Allowance etc etc  (Read 2957 times)

Online Eleanor

Ex Pats and the Winter Fuel Allowance etc etc
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »

At risk of being unpopular, I have to say that I agree with this decision.  In my opinion it is inhuman to deprive anyone of hope.
But it doesn't mean that Jeremy Bamber is likely to be released shortly.

And as far as The European Court is concerned, and their right to rule on British Law, I cannot in all conscience accept their right to grant me The Winter Fuel Allowance of which I have been deprived for thirteen years, and then question their right to rule on humanity.
The Winter Fuel Allowance is a measly £200 a year, but very important to me, as no doubt Hope is to Jeremy Bamber, and others.

Offline Outlook

Re: Ex Pats and the Winter Fuel Allowance etc etc
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »
At risk of being unpopular, I have to say that I agree with this decision.  In my opinion it is inhuman to deprive anyone of hope.
But it doesn't mean that Jeremy Bamber is likely to be released shortly.

And as far as The European Court is concerned, and their right to rule on British Law, I cannot in all conscience accept their right to grant me The Winter Fuel Allowance of which I have been deprived for thirteen years, and then question their right to rule on humanity.
The Winter Fuel Allowance is a measly £200 a year, but very important to me, as no doubt Hope is to Jeremy Bamber, and others.
I did not know the ECHR had ruled on Winter Fuel Payments.  When did that happen and what was the basis?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I did not know the ECHR had ruled on Winter Fuel Payments.  When did that happen and what was the basis?

In June last year The European Court ruled that it was illegal to deprive ExPats of The Winter Fuel Allowance just because they left Britain before they became entitled to their pensions.  And I should jolly well think so too.
So you see, I have to agree with The European Court because it isn't for me to decide what is okay and what isn't.

Further details by PM if you are interested.  Or I could start a thread if we want a punch up about ExPats being entitled to anything.

Offline Outlook

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »
In June last year The European Court ruled that it was illegal to deprive ExPats of The Winter Fuel Allowance just because they left Britain before they became entitled to their pensions.  And I should jolly well think so too.
So you see, I have to agree with The European Court because it isn't for me to decide what is okay and what isn't.

Further details by PM if you are interested.  Or I could start a thread if we want a punch up about ExPats being entitled to anything.
Ah that is up for review now I think as it is not part of Universal Benefits.  I think new plans are to "Means Test" whatever that involves?

Actually I always think I should be entitled to "Cold Weather Payments" because I come from a hot country and I always find the UK cold even in mid-summer.

Offline Myster

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »

I hope you aren't wearing your winter drawers, fur coat, wooly mittens and balaclava today, are you Outlook ?

It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Outlook

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »
I hope you aren't wearing your winter drawers, fur coat, wooly mittens and balaclava today, are you Outlook ?
Yes, leggings and a jacket today.  Freezing.  I am never happy unless it is mid 30's.

I once gave a lecture in a hall in the mid 20's Centigrade wearing a full length silk dress and a coat.

not wearing my boots though.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »
Ah that is up for review now I think as it is not part of Universal Benefits.  I think new plans are to "Means Test" whatever that involves?

Actually I always think I should be entitled to "Cold Weather Payments" because I come from a hot country and I always find the UK cold even in mid-summer.

Britain is talking about Means Testing it, although it never has been before.  You got it if you claimed your pension before you left UK, and you didn't if you didn't.  This applied to rich or poor pensioners.  All pensioners in UK got it regardless.  So I can't see The European Court going along with changing the rules this late in the game.  It has been 15 years since it all began.
Not that I need to worry because I live on a basic State Pension.  And it is bloody freezing here in Winter, in case they want to Temperature Test me.

Offline Outlook

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 08:55:59 PM »
Britain is talking about Means Testing it, although it never has been before.  You got it if you claimed your pension before you left UK, and you didn't if you didn't.  This applied to rich or poor pensioners.  All pensioners in UK got it regardless.  So I can't see The European Court going along with changing the rules this late in the game.  It has been 15 years since it all began.
Not that I need to worry because I live on a basic State Pension.  And it is bloody freezing here in Winter, in case they want to Temperature Test me.
The problem with UK Government Policy is it is always made up on the fly for elections or to court popularity in the press so you get bad decisions.  So you end up in the silly position that benefits intended for poor people in the UK in winter get carried forward to rich people living in Southern Europe or even Australia for that matter.  What do they want a Winter Payment for in Australia in December?  So what happens to Winter Fuel benefit to people outside of the EU?  In the end the only thing you can do is either give it to everyone unconditionally or drop the whole idea.  What about foreign people who are feeling cold all the time?

Same I suppose with free TV licences for over 75's  Do I still get a free TV licence if I live in Spain?  No I am not 75 but when I am I want free TV licence.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
The problem with UK Government Policy is it is always made up on the fly for elections or to court popularity in the press so you get bad decisions.  So you end up in the silly position that benefits intended for poor people in the UK in winter get carried forward to rich people living in Southern Europe or even Australia for that matter.  What do they want a Winter Payment for in Australia in December?  So what happens to Winter Fuel benefit to people outside of the EU?  In the end the only thing you can do is either give it to everyone unconditionally or drop the whole idea.  What about foreign people who are feeling cold all the time?

Same I suppose with free TV licences for over 75's  Do I still get a free TV licence if I live in Spain?  No I am not 75 but when I am I want free TV licence.

I agree that it was extremely badly thought out.  But they have been discriminating for the last 15 years.  This is what The European Court ruled on.

Offline Myster

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »

Ask a Spaniard what a TV licence is, and he'll look at you as if you're stark staring bonkers !!

And by the time you're 75 the BBC will be completely self-funding so no-one will pay anything at all to that overbloated organisation... fat chance I hear you say!

Offline Outlook

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 09:24:08 PM »
Ask a Spaniard what a TV licence is, and he'll look at you as if you're stark staring bonkers !!

And by the time you're 75 the BBC will be completely self-funding so no-one will pay anything at all to that overbloated organisation... fat chance I hear you say!
In Spain do they not pay through their electricity bills or something?

No BBC is very special and is "National Treasure" so will always need special funds for disgraced directors and prevert DJs.

Offline Outlook

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
I agree that it was extremely badly thought out.  But they have been discriminating for the last 15 years.  This is what The European Court ruled on.
Hi Eleanor,  Yes a lot of things are well-intended but poorly implimented.  Sorry, I am a bit bored tonight now tennis is over.  So I start rambling conversations.  No drink in the house either.

Maybe a good idea for thread under "Any other business"

Offline Myster

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 09:41:52 PM »

No BBC is very special and is "National Treasure" so will always need special funds for disgraced directors and prevert DJs.

Ultimately, everyone anywhere pays for television either through taxes and/or buying advertised goods, but the BBC charges specifically for the privilege of not having to watch or listen to advertisements, other than its own.

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 03:07:38 AM »

No...the advertising subsidises the TV programmes.  In Spain the adverts can be up to 25 minutes long, I kid you not.  By the time the next part of the programme or film comes on you have forgotten what you were watching in the first place.  They also repeat adverts within the same advertising segment which is bloody annoying.   8()(((@#

With the right software you can watch your soaps using your computer 'on demand' and without the adverts.  Bloody marvellous! 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:12:56 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »

I watch pirate TV on Project Free on Line.  Just off the watch the last episode of The White Queen.  Although how I am going to come to terms with The Battle of Bosworth being fought in a forest in mid Winter is a bit of a mystery.

Still waiting for the ruling on my last thirteen years  of back payments of The Winter Fuel Allowance.