Author Topic: Introduction and a request please!  (Read 7301 times)

Offline Teams_UP

Re: Introduction and a request please!
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2021, 04:38:23 PM »
Thanks Caroline, I must check out the pudding site!!  @)(++(*

Just to clarify, the 'nuts' comment was taken from another forum; their thoughts not mine!  And I definitely have no ulterior motives, although I appreciate that you've got no reason to believe me as I'm a total stranger!   But I am honestly just writing a book about 6 cases which interest me personally and which seem to cause more debate than others.  There are so many to choose from; Madeline McCann as you say; I also had Michael Peterson, Shrien Dewani, Jens Soering and a few others on my original list and had to edit down to 6.   

The question of 'why do people debate anything' is pretty much what I'm trying to answer I suppose, but with these cases as examples.  I suppose I am just interested in whether anyone has an end goal in mind, i.e getting others to come round to your way of thinking?  Thanks again for replying I really appreciate it  8((()*/

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2021, 05:28:17 PM »
Some people debate these cases online as part of what they consider to be “serious research” which they feel will help to solve the mysteries that they are discussing.  I guess everyone loves a “whodunnit” and trying to solve puzzles.   I think thought that some forget that there are real people involved in these tragedies and that real people can end up being hurt by the meddling and judgey bitching that surrounds each case.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Teams_UP

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »
I guess everyone loves a “whodunnit” and trying to solve puzzles.

Thanks, and I agree I do love a 'whodunnit'!  I'm curious though, on this forum as Jeremy has already been convicted and is unlikely to win any appeal, what is there to discuss or solve, unless you think he is innocent? I'm honestly not judging or being negative, I'm genuinely interested!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2021, 11:53:34 AM »
Thanks, and I agree I do love a 'whodunnit'!  I'm curious though, on this forum as Jeremy has already been convicted and is unlikely to win any appeal, what is there to discuss or solve, unless you think he is innocent? I'm honestly not judging or being negative, I'm genuinely interested!
There are certain posters on here who are convinced he is innocent and therefore a victim of a miscarriage of justice.  At least one forum member is actively working on his campaign to be freed.  I guess they are on here trying to change opinion about Bamber (but sadly for them failing miserably as one thing forums has taught me, once you've adopted a position on any given subject you are unlikely to have your opinion changed by arguing the toss with other posters).
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Teams_UP

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2021, 12:11:43 PM »
I guess they are on here trying to change opinion about Bamber

Yes I think that's what I'm trying to understand; I can see why those who think he is innocent have a motivation but what about the majority who agree that he is guilty?  Would you ideally like to convince his supporters otherwise?  Or is it simply a place to discuss his guilt?  Thank you for engaging with me I really appreciate it.  I'll be honest, when I first started researching I was probably viewing forums quite negatively but I've realised that there are soooo many different personal reasons for people to become involved in discussions and it's really fascinating.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2021, 12:30:54 PM »
Yes I think that's what I'm trying to understand; I can see why those who think he is innocent have a motivation but what about the majority who agree that he is guilty?  Would you ideally like to convince his supporters otherwise?  Or is it simply a place to discuss his guilt?  Thank you for engaging with me I really appreciate it.  I'll be honest, when I first started researching I was probably viewing forums quite negatively but I've realised that there are soooo many different personal reasons for people to become involved in discussions and it's really fascinating.

It's probably a case of each side believing themselves to be right and hoping they can persuade the other side to see sense.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2021, 12:33:31 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else but for me forums are simply a diversion from stuff I should be getting on with in real life, a chance to have a "heated debate" with others about all sorts of topics.  I only got involved in the discussion re: Bamber because of the recent TV series and I have absolutely no interest in trying to convince anyone he's guilty - I think that goes without saying but it's quite enjoyable having one's opinions tested and challenged.  My main interest on this forum is the Madeleine McCann case.  I have always thought there is a book to be written about the online shenanigans wrt to that case - I have been involved with forums since a few weeks after she disappeared and you just wouldn't believe the craziness of that particular corner of the internet - or perhaps you would, if you've been researching this for a while...

Offline Teams_UP

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2021, 01:36:35 PM »
I have always thought there is a book to be written about the online shenanigans wrt to that case - I have been involved with forums since a few weeks after she disappeared and you just wouldn't believe the craziness of that particular corner of the internet - or perhaps you would, if you've been researching this for a while...

Maybe that can be my next project  @)(++(*

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense  8((()*/

Offline Caroline

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2021, 01:07:34 AM »
Maybe that can be my next project  @)(++(*

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense  8((()*/

I agree with VS - it's a diversion in the main from other things and I have no interest in changing anyone's mind. I don't like the perpetuation of myths though so try and stamp them out whenever possible.