Author Topic: Suggestion for moderation  (Read 16128 times)

Offline mercury

Suggestion for moderation
« on: December 02, 2015, 11:02:11 PM »
Would it be an interesting useful idea to revisit moderation? Just an idea

When all are in the midst of a discussion and suddenly posts here and there disappear, should there not be, as there is on other forums, a note aganst a deleted or moderated post with reasons....

Shouldnt be an issue because there are clear rules and if posters are told exactly ehat is wring n their posts might help?

Offline John

Re: Suggestion for moderation
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:04:19 AM »
Would it be an interesting useful idea to revisit moderation? Just an idea

When all are in the midst of a discussion and suddenly posts here and there disappear, should there not be, as there is on other forums, a note aganst a deleted or moderated post with reasons....

Shouldnt be an issue because there are clear rules and if posters are told exactly ehat is wring n their posts might help?

An impossible task given the number of posts at times. 

Everyone knows the rules by now, post off topic and you risk them being removed or moved to another thread.  We have to run a tight ship otherwise chaos would prevail.  That said however, we are always looking for ways to improve the forum and its moderation so thank you for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:14:19 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline mercury

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »
How about when receiving a warning for x transgression but given no details of the post that was objectionable from an unsigned and unanswerable pm? One might be scratching ones head thnking.
At least please include a post quote?

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 04:07:20 PM »
How about when receiving a warning for x transgression but given no details of the post that was objectionable from an unsigned and unanswerable pm? One might be scratching ones head thnking.
At least please include a post quote?

I have revisited this issue several times mercury but there isn't a simple solution.  I have found that it is better to remove an offending post completely rather than replace its content with a mod comment.

When issuing a warning, a moderator can link to any offending post by clicking on the little orange triangle with a white exclamation mark within it positioned beside the "report to moderator" tag. Note:  Only moderators, editors and staff members can see this orange triangle.  It could be that new moderators are not aware of this, there is a brief note about it on the forum but could very easily be missed.  I will issue a note to all editing staff immediately about this. 

The downside however is that posts which are deleted cannot be linked to.

Hopefully, this should sort things out.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:22:37 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline mercury

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 10:06:06 PM »
Thanks for that John. The warning was about goading and seeing as goading can be seen by bogh posters and obviously mods in different ways , along with no info, left me with no clue where to remedy my ways.

I would like to say I look forward to seeing your reminder to staff implemented but hopefully wont need to.

8)--))

Offline mercury

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 11:14:57 PM »
Oh well, seems guidance to staff has failed in one case at least..fact remains if I dont know what they are referring to.....and we know for a fact it happens that a mod deletes "just because they can" as happened go me yesterday when all i posted d was a DATE in response to a question from someone asking for a DATE of a said event
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:00:14 PM by John »

Offline mercury

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 12:15:40 AM »
I have revisited this issue several times mercury but there isn't a simple solution.  I have found that it is better to remove an offending post completely rather than replace its content with a mod comment.

When issuing a warning, a moderator can link to any offending post by clicking on the little orange triangle with a white exclamation mark within it positioned beside the "report to moderator" tag. Note:  Only moderators, editors and staff members can see this orange triangle.  It could be that new moderators are not aware of this, there is a brief note about it on the forum but could very easily be missed.  I will issue a note to all editing staff immediately about this. 

The downside however is that posts which are deleted cannot be linked to.

Hopefully, this should sort things out.

Its not quite all ok because when recieving a warning like i just did, i still dont know what comment it related to as the link to the thread was dud when i clicked it it said

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?msg=340214

mercury,

You have received a warning for inappropriate name calling. Please desist immediately.

Re: So what actual searching was there?

Regards,
The UK Justice Forum  Team.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 01:21:43 AM »
Its not quite all ok because when recieving a warning like i just did, i still dont know what comment it related to as the link to the thread was dud when i clicked it it said

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?msg=340214

mercury,

You have received a warning for inappropriate name calling. Please desist immediately.

Re: So what actual searching was there?

Regards,
The UK Justice Forum  Team.

You appear to have no conception of what you do.  Try thinking about it.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
I would like to make a suggestion for moderation.  In my opinion warning points are sometimes used as the ultimate goad by moderators on the losing end of an argument or simply because they dislike the poster they are awarding points to.  My suggestion is that only moderators who are not involved in the argument or who are not on the “opposing team” may be permitted to award points against a forum member.    Just an idea....
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 11:30:31 AM »
I would like to make a suggestion for moderation.  In my opinion warning points are sometimes used as the ultimate goad by moderators on the losing end of an argument or simply because they dislike the poster they are awarding points to.  My suggestion is that only moderators who are not involved in the argument or who are not on the “opposing team” may be permitted to award points against a forum member.    Just an idea....

First of all any moderator who uses their position as you allege should lose their moderator priviledges. Secondly, in my opinion, this is attempt by you to continue the argument you were pursuing on another thread.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »
First of all any moderator who uses their position as you allege should lose their moderator priviledges. Secondly, in my opinion, this is attempt by you to continue the argument you were pursuing on another thread.
This is an attempt by me to instill some even-handed moderation and to suggest that moderators shouldn't abuse their positions of power to settle scores or silence the opposition.  I think my suggestion is a fair one.  Clearly I won the argument you refer to because your posts have been removed for being off topic just as I said they were (though I received points for having the temerity to point this out!) 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
This is an attempt by me to instill some even-handed moderation and to suggest that moderators shouldn't abuse their positions of power to settle scores or silence the opposition.  I think my suggestion is a fair one.  Clearly I won the argument you refer to because your posts have been removed for being off topic just as I said they were (though I received points for having the temerity to point this out!)

I think your suggestion will lead to more complaints, not less.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »

perhasp you should have a look at the posters you have moderated and see is it represents an even representation of the forum...I can guarantee it wont which confirnms your bias

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 01:43:13 PM »
I think your suggestion will lead to more complaints, not less.
Why do you think that?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 08:52:53 PM »
perhasp you should have a look at the posters you have moderated and see is it represents an even representation of the forum...I can guarantee it wont which confirnms your bias

I moderate any poster who breaks the rules, I don't moderate according to which 'team' they represent. This is checkable, although not by you.  The deviding line on this board isn't between 'opposing teams', imo, it's between those who enjoy debating and those who enjoy quarrelling. 
Result = happy posting.