Author Topic: Is Sandra Lean's GoFundMe campaign being promoted on a false premise?  (Read 15392 times)

Offline Admin

Having taken legal advice on this, it appears that Sandra Lean is seeking public donations on the GoFundMe website on the basis of at least one false premise.

She claims in her introduction that, "Corinne Mitchell's life was ruined by a justice system gone wrong. Although she has now been housed, this fundraiser is aimed at helping get Corinne back on her feet".

How exactly has the justice system gone wrong?  Surely this claim is just that, a claim, an opinion, it is certainly not an established fact.

Luke Mitchell has been tried and convicted according to the laws of Scotland, he has had several appeals all of which have failed. He has also had the benefit of a more recent further Application to the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission supported by one of Scotland's top QCs who just happens to now be a High Court Judge. This again failed to get any traction so the claim that Corinne Mitchell's life was ruined by a justice system gone wrong is in fact untrue and false according to Law.

On the 21st January 2005, Corinne Mitchell's younger son Luke Mitchell was convicted of the murder of his then 'girlfriend' Jodi Jones, and sentenced to a minimum of 20-years in prison.

The charge...

"...on 30 June 2003 at a wooded area near Roan's Dyke between Easthouses Road, Easthouses and Newbattle Road, both Dalkeith, Midlothian, you did assault Jodi Catherine Jones ... and did repeatedly strike her on the head and body, compress and constrict her neck and restrict her breathing, cause her to fall to the ground, apply a ligature around her arms, repeatedly strike her on the head, mouth and body with a knife or other similar instrument and you did murder her and further you did strike her head and body with a knife or similar instrument and in particular her face, ear, mouth, breast and abdomen."

Mitchell has had four previous attempts to overturn his conviction. Two were rejected on appeal and a bid to have his case referred to the UK Supreme Court was also turned down at the High Court in Edinburgh. Another appeal was refused by miscarriage of justice investigators at the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission. Additionally, on 2nd February 2011, his appeal against sentence was also dismissed.

In 2014, Sandra Lean with the help of QC human rights lawyer, Maggie Scott – now a High Court Judge – lodged an appeal to present on Mitchell’s behalf to the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC), it was rejected!

Sympathetic though we might all be to her predicament, is it not the case that Corinne Mitchell's circumstances have been brought about by her own actions?

Offline Admin

Re: Is Sandra Lean's GoFundMe campaign being promoted on a false premise?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 05:11:30 PM »
There are two other elements which must be taken into account in considering the original claim that Corinne Mitchell's life was ruined by a justice system gone wrong.

The first of these were the numerous attacks on Corinne's caravan business at Dalkeith, Scotland, known as Scott's Caravans. Corinne Mitchell was a co-director of this company, the other co-director being her mother, Mrs Ruby Guetta.

These attacks were mentioned by Mrs Mitchell more recently in the Channel 5 crime documentary, "Murder in a small town". It appears that local vigilantes took it upon themselves to exact revenge against the Mitchell family home and business following the conviction of Luke Mitchell.

Undoubtedly, Mrs Mitchell lost a considerable amount financially following the attacks on her caravan business when on one occasion upwards of 40 caravans were systematically damaged.

But why I'm sure you ask yourself was Mrs Mitchell targeted in such a manner when it was her son who was convicted of the murder of Jodi Jones?

To understand this you have to understand the case against Luke Mitchell which was an entirely a circumstantial one.  Ultimately, Luke Mitchell's defence rested on his alibi.  He claimed to have been home with his mother at the time of the murder.  This claim has always been supported by his mother who gave a statement and testified in court. Unfortunately for Luke Mitchell however, his brother was home at the time but ultimately failed to corroborate his alibi after changing his statement.

The difficulty in law in all of this however is that the conviction renders Corinne Mitchell's claims false and giving false evidence to any court is an act of perjury.  This I contend would have incited the attacks against her.

Anyone reading this therefore would not be blamed for thinking that Mrs Mitchell was the instrument of her own downfall.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/mum-luke-mitchell-caravan-park-2275604
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:24:14 PM by Admin »

Offline Admin

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 05:11:40 PM »
Which brings me to the second part of this sad saga, the death of John McCafferty, 56, from carbon monoxide poisoning, after staying in a caravan sold to his sister-in-law by Corinne Mitchell. Mrs McCafferty was also poisoned and incapacitated by the noxious gas but survived because she was in a bedroom at the back of the caravan.

Mrs McCafferty raised a civil action against Scott's caravans for £250,000.

The Court of Session heard that Mr McCafferty lit the gas heater in the caravan and during the night, carbon monoxide from the flue of the heater re-entered the caravan and both suffered poisoning.

Mrs McCafferty, 59, a bakery assistant, of Mayfield, Dalkeith, is suing for the grief and sorrow of losing her husband, and for her own physical injuries and the subsequent depression which she says she suffered.

She alleges in the action that, in spite of Scott's Caravans representations, the caravan had not been serviced and inspected prior to the sale, or, if it had been, the inspection and service had not identified and corrected a defect in the installation of the heater.

Scott's Caravans does not admit that a representation was made about the caravan having been fully serviced and inspected, but says it was the invariable practice for its engineers to carry out an inspection of a caravan before agreeing to offer it for sale, on behalf of a third party. Also, it was "the invariable practice for their engineers to inspect a caravan again prior to completing the sale".

In the preliminary hearing, counsel for Scott's Caravans argued that there was "special cause" for keeping the case before a judge alone, and not allowing a jury to consider it.

Scott's Caravans stated that it had carried out an inspection, and the question was whether it had done so properly, it was said.If the company had, it would have checked the heater installation and found that the installation had not been carried out properly.

Lord Stewart said: "Clearly this has to be a matter of impression, but my impression was that this case falls well short of the degree of technical complexity that would make a case unsuitable for trial by a jury."

Lord Stewart said he had not been persuaded that there was good reason for a judge rather than a jury to decide whether Scott's Caravans, of Mayfield Industrial Estate, Dalkeith, Midlothian, and the partners, Mrs Mitchell and Ruby Guetta, were liable for the accident and should pay damages.

In the absence of any further court edicts in the case the question must be asked if this was settled out of court?

https://www.scotsman.com/news/murderer-mitchells-mother-sued-ps-14m-over-deadly-caravan-1687143
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:36:30 PM by Admin »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 06:28:17 PM »
Which brings me to the second part of this sad saga, the death of John McCafferty, 56, from carbon monoxide poisoning, after staying in a caravan sold to his sister-in-law by Corinne Mitchell. Mrs McCafferty was also poisoned and incapacitated by the noxious gas but survived because she was in a bedroom at the back of the caravan.

Mrs McCafferty raised a civil action against Scott's caravans for £250,000.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/murderer-mitchells-mother-sued-ps-14m-over-deadly-caravan-1687143

What was the outcome of the case?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:38:12 PM by Admin »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline WakeyWakey

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 06:46:07 PM »
What was the outcome of the case?

Given that we know a lawyer made an application for this to be treated as special case and not seen by a jury, and that application was rejected:
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff85760d03e7f57ebe998

... yet we didnt ever see the case put before a jury (that I know)

is it safe to assume this was settled privately, out of court?

I don't know the answer myself

Offline Admin

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 06:49:22 PM »
Given that we know a lawyer made an application for this to be treated as special case and not seen by a jury, and that application was rejected:
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff85760d03e7f57ebe998

... yet we didnt ever see the case put before a jury (that I know)

is it safe to assume this was settled privately, out of court?

I don't know the answer myself

I believe we need some more answers about this.  I find it hard to believe that Mrs McCafferty dropped the action against Scott's Caravans so the only alternative is that a private settlement was agreed.

Clearly, Mrs Mitchell had a vested interest in not going to court again.  Her now financial predicament would lend much support to the notion of a private settlement having taken place. Certainly the 2014 sale of the family home took place shortly after the civil court case.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:55:11 PM by Admin »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 06:51:30 PM »
I believe we need some more answers about this.  I find it hard to believe that Mrs McCafferty dropped the action against Scott's Caravans so the only alternative is that a private settlement was agreed.

Clearly, Mrs Mitchell had a vested interest in not going to court again.

Or the action was dropped....notwithstanding that you find it hard to believe.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 06:58:31 PM »
Sandra would know, why don’t you ask her?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 06:58:36 PM »
Or the action was dropped....notwithstanding that you find it hard to believe.

There's an easy way to find that out from the Court of Session in Edinburgh.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 06:59:40 PM »
Sandra would know, why don’t you ask her?

She knows alright.  @)(++(*
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 07:05:58 PM »
There's an easy way to find that out from the Court of Session in Edinburgh.

Off you go then. I’ll be right here when you get back.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 08:11:51 PM »
Taking all the circumstances into consideration I think unfortunately Mrs Mitchell could be considered to be the architect of her own misfortune as far as her financial situation is concerned.

I think it is wrong to make the claim that it results from " a justice system gone wrong" because although the verdict may not have been to her liking it has stood the test of appeals.

If people wish to answer an appeal for financial contributions to ease her burden that is for them to decide ~ but based on accurate information which I don't think this is.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 08:15:03 PM »
Taking all the circumstances into consideration I think unfortunately Mrs Mitchell could be considered to be the architect of her own misfortune as far as her financial situation is concerned.

I think it is wrong to make the claim that it results from " a justice system gone wrong" because although the verdict may not have been to her liking it has stood the test of appeals.

If people wish to answer an appeal for financial contributions to ease her burden that is for them to decide ~ but based on accurate information which I don't think this is.

Most people are gullible in my experience and are suckers for a good cause. The least they should have is ALL the facts.

To coin a phrase from an old lawyer friend of mine, I can see this grow legs now.

Je ne regrette rien!!

jixy

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 09:42:21 PM »
Most people are gullible in my experience and are suckers for a good cause. The least they should have is ALL the facts.

To coin a phrase from an old lawyer friend of mine, I can see this grow legs now.

Yes FACTS are always good.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 12:08:33 AM »

Absolutely but unfortunately that doesn’t always happen as we know.

People knew they were donating to help Corrine, no deception there and, in their judgement as they did donate, this is a case of the justice system gone wrong. You may not agree but you know what they say....opinions are like noses.