Author Topic: Who will be the next leader of the Conservative Party and by default, the PM?  (Read 60190 times)

stephen25000

The people chose BREXIT and Andrea is the team leader now that Gove did the dirty on Boris.  I for one most deffo dont want a remainer to hold power.

So you would have her, even though she said it would be a disaster if we left the EU ?  *&*%£

Offline Carana

stephen25000

Or Leadsom?

I shudder at the thought of either of those two gaining power.

Offline Carana

Ahhhh.

I was wondering if Branson was one of those behind the legal pre-emption initiative... Still no idea if he is or not.

http://news.sky.com/story/1721938/branson-and-may-meet-as-tycoon-demands-new-poll

Alfie

Daniel Finkelstein re: Andrea Leadsom standing for Tory Leader, and by default PM:

"There is nobody else who will have reached Downing Street without either holding very senior office or winning their own electoral mandate as leader of the opposition.

Here are the people who, in the last century, have come to office without first winning a general election: David Lloyd George, former chancellor; Andrew Bonar Law, former chancellor; Stanley Baldwin, former chancellor; Neville Chamberlain, former chancellor; Winston Churchill, former chancellor; Anthony Eden, former foreign secretary and deputy prime minister; Harold Macmillan, former chancellor and former foreign secretary; Sir Alec Douglas-Home, former foreign secretary; Jim Callaghan, former chancellor, home secretary and foreign secretary; John Major, former foreign secretary and chancellor; Gordon Brown, chancellor for a decade.

Contrast that list with: Andrea Leadsom, junior city minister and junior energy minister.

This is the first time that a prime minister will have been chosen by a group of party members. And Conservative Party members are entitled to choose who they like as their leader. It is important to emphasise that there would be nothing remotely illegitimate about a Leadsom leadership by itself. Personally I think it would be quite an odd thing to choose a complete novice at a time like this. A bit like saying: “For your first driving lesson how about trying a jumbo jet full of people.” But David Cameron resigned, after all, and if someone can win the contest under the rules then good luck to them".

stephen25000

*&*%£

Off the cuff remarks.

Brilliant.

The one about Gove going to war with 3 countries at a time is priceless. @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*

I doubt Clarke will too unhappy that his comments have gone viral.

Offline mercury

Off the cuff remarks.

Brilliant.

The one about Gove going to war with 3 countries at a time is priceless. @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*

I doubt Clarke will too unhappy that his comments have gone viral.

He may well have known, at h stage in life he probably doesnt care if hes n "politically correct"

If only more were like him
When was this country forced to thnk and speak in certain ways...oh i know, during blairs govt time, well hes going to get a good kicking from tomorrow too, cant wait

Alfie

There we go: if you don't give a toss about workers' rights, vote "people's choice" Leadsom!

"People working for the UK's smallest businesses would be stripped of their right to a minimum wage, maternity leave and protection from unfair dismissal, under plans previously backed by one of the favourites to become next Tory leader and prime minister.

Speaking in 2012, Andrea Leadsom told the House of Commons that she would like businesses with three employees or fewer to no longer have to comply with any employment regulations.

"I envisage there being absolutely no regulation whatsoever," she said.

"No minimum wage, no maternity or paternity rights, no unfair dismissal rights, no pension rights—for the smallest companies that are trying to get off the ground, in order to give them a chance."

Offline mercury

There we go: if you don't give a toss about workers' rights, vote "people's choice" Leadsom!

"People working for the UK's smallest businesses would be stripped of their right to a minimum wage, maternity leave and protection from unfair dismissal, under plans previously backed by one of the favourites to become next Tory leader and prime minister.

Speaking in 2012, Andrea Leadsom told the House of Commons that she would like businesses with three employees or fewer to no longer have to comply with any employment regulations.

"I envisage there being absolutely no regulation whatsoever," she said.

"No minimum wage, no maternity or paternity rights, no unfair dismissal rights, no pension rights—for the smallest companies that are trying to get off the ground, in order to give them a chance."

If a tiny business employing up to 3 people is making zero money and cant afford all these thngs then maybe govt should cover it all, country is rich enough

Offline Holly Goodhead

Daniel Finkelstein re: Andrea Leadsom standing for Tory Leader, and by default PM:

"There is nobody else who will have reached Downing Street without either holding very senior office or winning their own electoral mandate as leader of the opposition.

Here are the people who, in the last century, have come to office without first winning a general election: David Lloyd George, former chancellor; Andrew Bonar Law, former chancellor; Stanley Baldwin, former chancellor; Neville Chamberlain, former chancellor; Winston Churchill, former chancellor; Anthony Eden, former foreign secretary and deputy prime minister; Harold Macmillan, former chancellor and former foreign secretary; Sir Alec Douglas-Home, former foreign secretary; Jim Callaghan, former chancellor, home secretary and foreign secretary; John Major, former foreign secretary and chancellor; Gordon Brown, chancellor for a decade.

Contrast that list with: Andrea Leadsom, junior city minister and junior energy minister.

This is the first time that a prime minister will have been chosen by a group of party members. And Conservative Party members are entitled to choose who they like as their leader. It is important to emphasise that there would be nothing remotely illegitimate about a Leadsom leadership by itself. Personally I think it would be quite an odd thing to choose a complete novice at a time like this. A bit like saying: “For your first driving lesson how about trying a jumbo jet full of people.” But David Cameron resigned, after all, and if someone can win the contest under the rules then good luck to them".

Most organisations spend time on succession planning but it appears this is not the case in Government hence we end up with the current fiasco.  Can you imagine a FTSE quoted company having all this back stabbing, gossiping and voting played out in the media over weeks on end when a change of senior management takes place.  The whole thing is barking imo.  It's not fit for the 21st century. I would like to see a new model of government run along the lines of the John Lewis partnership run by people who have experience and track records in relevant industries before running government departments.  The current model seems to be based on a lot of careerist politicians who have little or no experience outside the Westminster village.   

AL doesn't have any significant experience in government but I don't see this as being a negative.  She has a wealth of experience outside of government in senior management roles within the financial services industry and charities.  The likes of DC, GO, MG and BJ appear to have very limited experience outside of journalism, PR and the Westminster village. That said my preference for the next Tory leader and by default PM is TM (who had a career in banking before entering politics).  In the worst case scenario ie a war TM seems a safe pair of hands.  Obviously those holding high office are security checked to the highest degree but what about tested psychometrically?
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Brietta

Does Andrea Leadsom's CV really stack up?
Leadership contender's backers are accused of exaggerating claims about her career as investment banker

• Leadsom placed her experience in the City at the centre of her candidacy
  • Her backers say she managed hundreds of people and billions of pounds
  • But the Times reported she did not manage funds or advise clients
  • Her spokesman admitted that her City job title could be 'misleading'

By DANIEL MARTIN CHIEF POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT FOR THE DAILY MAIL and STEPHANIE LINNING FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 01:34, 6 July 2016 | UPDATED: 14:51, 6 July 2016

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3676271/Does-Andrea-Leadsom-s-CV-stack-Leadership-contender-s-backers-accused-making-claims-City-career-not-stand-up.html#ixzz4De009JP8
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Holly Goodhead

Does Andrea Leadsom's CV really stack up?
Leadership contender's backers are accused of exaggerating claims about her career as investment banker

• Leadsom placed her experience in the City at the centre of her candidacy
  • Her backers say she managed hundreds of people and billions of pounds
  • But the Times reported she did not manage funds or advise clients
  • Her spokesman admitted that her City job title could be 'misleading'

By DANIEL MARTIN CHIEF POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT FOR THE DAILY MAIL and STEPHANIE LINNING FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 01:34, 6 July 2016 | UPDATED: 14:51, 6 July 2016

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3676271/Does-Andrea-Leadsom-s-CV-stack-Leadership-contender-s-backers-accused-making-claims-City-career-not-stand-up.html#ixzz4De009JP8

I think you could be on to something here Brietta  ?>)()<

Her wiki page states the following:

After graduating in 1987, Leadsom began a career in the financial sector as a debt trader for Barclays de Zoete Wedd, then the investment bank division of Barclays Bank.[10] For Barclays itself, she was a Director in the Financial Institutions team from 1993. In this role, she was given a "ringside seat" in the collapse of Barings Bank.[11] Leadsom clashed with Barclay Investments then head Bob Diamond, who tried to persuade her to return to full-time work soon after a pregnancy, and she left the company in 1997 as a director of its financial institutions group.[10]

Leadsom became a managing director during 1997 of her brother in law's hedge fund, De Putron Fund Management (DPFM), remaining in the post until 1999.[12] Peter de Putron is her sister's husband.[10] However, according to documents at Companies House, Leadsom was registered as the Marketing Director working for DPFM for 13 months from 1998.[13]

Leadsom was Head of Corporate Governance and a Senior Investment Officer at Invesco Perpetual from 1999 to 2009. [3][14] According to a former colleague her actual job was to work (sometimes part-time) on “special projects”, mostly for the Chief Investment Officer, which included negotiating pay terms for senior fund managers - towards the end of her time, she advised on a number of governance issues, but she had no-one reporting to her in either role. That colleague said, with regard to her false public claims to have held more senior positions in private practice, that "the problem about these claims is that they risk misleading people into believing that she has finance management skills and experience which qualify her for senior posts in government".[15] Approval for individuals to manage funds or deal with clients is needed from the financial services regulator (then the Financial Services Authority), which Leadsom held from December 2002 to February 2003.[13]

Either of the roles I've highlighted above require 'permission' from the Financial Conduct Authority formerly known as the Financial Services Authority.  As such she would appear on its register as an 'approved person' even if she has since resigned from these positions.  She doesn't appear  &%+((£

https://register.fca.org.uk/shpo_nosearchresultpage?search=Andrea+Ledsom

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?