Author Topic: Crecheman's identity finally revealed  (Read 50610 times)

Offline misty

Crecheman's identity finally revealed
« on: May 06, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6225547/madeleine-mccann-gp-sighting-waste/

By Mike Sullivan, Crime Editor
6th May 2018, 10:25 pmUpdated: 6th May 2018, 10:47 pm

COPS spent four years trying to identify a man seen carrying a child on the night Madeleine McCann disappeared — despite a GP saying it was probably him.

Julian Totman walked near the McCanns’ apartment holding his two-year-old girl after getting her from a creche at the resort in Praia da Luz.

But Portuguese officers continued to pursue the line of inquiry triggered by Jane Tanner, a friend of Kate and Gerry McCann.

She said she saw a dark-haired man wearing a brown jacket, dark shoes and tan trousers carrying a child in pink and white pyjamas.

As well as matching much of the physical description of “Tannerman”, Dr Totman also wore the same clothes.

He was interviewed by the Guarda Nacional Republicana soon after Maddie, three, vanished in May 2007, but his wife Rachel said: “My husband had told the local police it could be him but we didn’t hear anything for years.

“We always thought it was Julian who was seen by Jane Tanner.

"But the national police who investigated didn’t get back to us and we don’t know if our information was ever passed on.”

Ms Tanner was one of the so-called Tapas Seven — the friends and family members dining with the McCanns at the time Maddie disappeared.

She was on her way to check on her kids at 9.15pm when she saw the man near Kate and Gerry’s apartment.

Gerry was nearby with pal Jeremy Wilkins having just looked in on Maddie and her younger twin siblings Sean and Amelie.

Kate then discovered their eldest child was missing when she went to check again at 10pm.

Ms Tanner later defied police orders to not comment publicly on what she saw.

She said: “I think it’s important that people know what I saw because I believe Madeleine was abducted.’’

And with Portuguese laws prohibiting the release of photofits of suspects, the McCanns put out an artist’s sketch of “Tannerman” in October 2007.

But efforts by the Totmans, who live in the South West, to point out the importance of Julian’s movements fell on deaf ears.

They were never contacted by Leicestershire police, whose officers were responsible at the time for collating all UK inquiries.

The force also failed to follow up on information from Paul and Julia Weinberger, pals of the Totmans, who said they had seen a pock-faced man hanging around the McCanns’ aparment twice that week.

The Portuguese probe was concluded in July 2008 and it was not until 2011 — when then-Home Secretary Theresa May ordered the Met carry out a review — that the Totmans’ account was finally taken seriously.

Det Chief Insp Andy Redwood described it as a “moment of revelation”.

He said: “We are almost certain now this sighting [Tannerman] is not the abductor.”

The Met probe then dramatically shifted focus to a sighting by Irishman Martin Smith at 10pm of a man — dubbed “Smithman” — carrying a child down a hill away from the Ocean Club.

They also appealed for information over a spate of burglaries at the resort in the period leading up to Maddie’s disappearance 11 years ago last week.

The British police investigation has now been scaled down and is likely to be shelved in October.

But one retired Met Police detective, who visited the resort with The Sun, is convinced Jane Tanner saw the real abductor.

==================================================================

If anyone thinks Dr. Totman was Tannerman..........

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:57:40 PM by John »

Offline faithlilly

Re: Crecheman's identity finally revealed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:41:42 PM »
This is from Jane Tanner’s rogatory interview.

“No, but the best thing that could happen to me, apart from Madeleine being found, is somebody coming up and saying ‘That was me’, you know, ‘That was me walking across there’, because, you know, you know, I don’t want that to be Madeleine, but, you know, there’s no, but I’m convinced that was and, you know, people have got to, so I don’t know what I can do to make them believe that.  I’m sorry”.

Yet when someone did come forward and say it was them we hear nothing from Tanner. 

When Redwood revealed his ‘revelation moment’ why no comment from Tanner expressing her heartfelt relief that she was not to blame for letting the abductor get away ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 01:18:01 AM »
I found that pic of Dr. Totman a while ago at the following link when looking for the possible identity of crecheman.

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/resources/images/4462029.jpg?display=1&htype=407&type=responsive-gallery

That pic of him unidentified is still on McCanns official site. That BS is history. About time they were informed.

Miss Lucy Totman was the 2 year old child. Madeleine was nearly 4 so it's no surprise that Jane Tanner didn't think it was her at the time.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 01:20:56 AM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline misty

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 01:24:10 AM »
I found that pic of Dr. Totman a while ago at the following link when looking for the possible identity of crecheman.

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/resources/images/4462029.jpg?display=1&htype=407&type=responsive-gallery

That pic of him unidentified is still on McCanns official site. That BS is history. About time they were informed.

Miss Lucy Totman was the 2 year old child. Madeleine was nearly 4 so it's no surprise that Jane Tanner didn't think it was her at the time.

Would you say Dr. Totman's height & build tallied with Jane's description?

Offline barrier

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 08:38:18 AM »
So the Leicestershire police sat on the info for how many years?
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline jassi

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »
It would seem that the PJs conclusion all those years ago that Tannerman was not involved was the correct one. Who'd have thought it ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 09:09:16 AM »
Interesting that the story says he was interviewed by the GNR. Firstly it isn’t the GNR’s job and secondly there is no mention in the GNR statements.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »
So many questions come to mind.

Where was he going? Not back to his apartment unless he's saying Jane Tanner got his direction wrong.

If the Totmans 'always thought' he was the man seen by Jane why did they make no real efforts to tell the authorities?

Did Leicestershire Police not send the Totmans a questionnaire?

Redwood didn't name Crecheman. Why are they allowing themselves to be identified now?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline barrier

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 10:12:07 AM »
Is it the same Julian?

That they bathed the children, the deponent having left at 18H00 for a tennis game only for men, at which were: DAN, tennis instructor; JULIAN, with whom he had played tennis several times; and CURTIS, with whom he had also played.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/GERRY-MCCANN-10MAY.htm
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 11:19:49 AM »
Interesting that the story says he was interviewed by the GNR. Firstly it isn’t the GNR’s job and secondly there is no mention in the GNR statements.

The Totmans had both signed up for tennis lessons, so must have known the McCanns. They were booked to stay until 11th May. The McCanns were moved into the same block as them. Their daughter was in the same creche group as the twins. It seems strange imo that they didn't attempt to share their thoughts with anyone at that time.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »
The Totmans had both signed up for tennis lessons, so must have known the McCanns. They were booked to stay until 11th May. The McCanns were moved into the same block as them. Their daughter was in the same creche group as the twins. It seems strange imo that they didn't attempt to share their thoughts with anyone at that time.

He was interviewed by the Guarda Nacional Republicana soon after Maddie, three, vanished in May 2007, but his wife Rachel said: “My husband had told the local police it could be him but we didn’t hear anything for years.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
Does this mean we can now discard the theory that crecheman was invented by the Met for Crimewatch to send a signal to the McCanns that they were onto them?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
This is from Jane Tanner’s rogatory interview.

“No, but the best thing that could happen to me, apart from Madeleine being found, is somebody coming up and saying ‘That was me’, you know, ‘That was me walking across there’, because, you know, you know, I don’t want that to be Madeleine, but, you know, there’s no, but I’m convinced that was and, you know, people have got to, so I don’t know what I can do to make them believe that.  I’m sorry”.

Yet when someone did come forward and say it was them we hear nothing from Tanner. 

When Redwood revealed his ‘revelation moment’ why no comment from Tanner expressing her heartfelt relief that she was not to blame for letting the abductor get away ?
Why do you believe that any of the McCanns’ friends should issue public statements about any aspect of the case years after the event?  Who amongst the general public has a clue who she is, or cares whether she feels relieved or not about this detail?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »

I find it possible that not everything noted by the GNR was handed to the PJ or somehow wasn't noted by the PJ. Some early media reports stated that they'd (informally, presumably) questioned hundreds of people, but there don't seem to be that many in the files.

Their instruction may have been to concentrate on whether anyone saw anything suspicious... If Crecheman had said that it might have been him carrying his own child, then, no, he hadn't seen anything suspicious (although there are some reports in the files with people actually stating that they hadn't) and for some reason, Amaral soon decided that Jane wasn't "reliable".

Offline misty

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 12:10:51 PM »
I find it possible that not everything noted by the GNR was handed to the PJ or somehow wasn't noted by the PJ. Some early media reports stated that they'd (informally, presumably) questioned hundreds of people, but there don't seem to be that many in the files.

Their instruction may have been to concentrate on whether anyone saw anything suspicious... If Crecheman had said that it might have been him carrying his own child, then, no, he hadn't seen anything suspicious (although there are some reports in the files with people actually stating that they hadn't) and for some reason, Amaral soon decided that Jane wasn't "reliable".

Much would depend on who translated any conversation between the Totmans & the GNR.
It doesn't explain why information provided to LP wasn't acted upon. Presumably it was also forwarded to Portugal.
How many more times do we have to hear this same story of people having come forward but their information not acted upon by the PJ?
It's a pity the PJ never published all the efits they had at the time as most of them could probably have been identified & ruled out,