Author Topic: Sir Keir Starmer Appointed Leader Of The Labour Party  (Read 18815 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

Sir Keir Starmer Appointed Leader Of The Labour Party
« on: April 04, 2020, 07:41:24 PM »
Congratulations!

At least a decent leader to oppose the Tories.  I say this as a lifelong Tory but its good to have decent opposition to keep the Tories in check.

Have we ever had a leader of the opposition who was a Sir prior to appointment? 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline faithlilly

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Sir Keir Starmer Appointed Leader Of The Labour Party
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 04:17:59 PM »
Has Sir Keir explained what are the serious mistakes made by the government with regard the current crisis, and what he thinks should have been done differently?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
Has Sir Keir explained what are the serious mistakes made by the government with regard the current crisis, and what he thinks should have been done differently?

What happened to good ol’ Keir ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Brietta

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 04:58:09 PM »

Keir Starmer told Sky News ...

“What’s important is we support the government where that’s the right thing to do but ask the difficult questions,” he said on Sunday.

"We ask the difficult questions not to score party political points, not just because we can but so we can point out what we think are errors so that they can be put right.

"An example would be testing. I think the government was in a mess over testing last week. They've not set a target and our job is to support them in getting to that target.

"But in pointing out mistakes and errors, we hope those mistakes and errors can be put right."
https://news.sky.com/story/new-labour-leader-sir-keir-starmer-puts-unrelenting-focus-on-winning-next-election-11968866
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »
Keir Starmer told Sky News ...

“What’s important is we support the government where that’s the right thing to do but ask the difficult questions,” he said on Sunday.

"We ask the difficult questions not to score party political points, not just because we can but so we can point out what we think are errors so that they can be put right.

"An example would be testing. I think the government was in a mess over testing last week. They've not set a target and our job is to support them in getting to that target.

"But in pointing out mistakes and errors, we hope those mistakes and errors can be put right."
https://news.sky.com/story/new-labour-leader-sir-keir-starmer-puts-unrelenting-focus-on-winning-next-election-11968866
I’d love to know he would have managed testing if he’d been put in charge a month ago.  Perhaps the government should call his bluff and give him full responsibility for sorting it out.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 05:24:27 PM »
Glad to see he’s cleared out the cabinet of most of Corbyn’s acolytes.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 05:34:37 PM »
Congratulations!

At least a decent leader to oppose the Tories.  I say this as a lifelong Tory but its good to have decent opposition to keep the Tories in check.

Have we ever had a leader of the opposition who was a Sir prior to appointment?

Is the labour party not supposed to be from the people for the people? First phoney Tony and his mortally corrupt crew now we have a SIR...  He stuck his EU flag to the mast... a re moaner one of them who wanted  a second referendum.   Let us see if he is an independent thinker!   
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »
Congratulations for what?   Who did he beat and for what?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 05:45:19 PM »
Glad to see he’s cleared out the cabinet of most of Corbyn’s acolytes.

Angela Rayner ? Jon Ashworth ?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »
I’d love to know he would have managed testing if he’d been put in charge a month ago.  Perhaps the government should call his bluff and give him full responsibility for sorting it out.

I don't think he is the type to ignore the writing on the wall as previous governments obviously have done http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=94.0 but from that starting point I think now is not the time to be 'sorting it out' the time for preparing to do so has been squandered.
I think the best that Starmer can do is as he says, to support the government when he thinks it is appropriate to do so and to make the case when it is not. To do that adequately he must be kept up to speed with developments and options as they occur in this time of National emergency. 

Does anyone know if there is provision for the leader of the opposition to be included in that?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 05:49:22 PM »

Is the labour party not supposed to be from the people for the people? First phoney Tony and his mortally corrupt crew now we have a SIR...  He stuck his EU flag to the mast... a re moaner one of them who wanted  a second referendum.   Let us see if he is an independent thinker!

Starmer’s mother was a nurse and father a toolmaker...you don’t get much more working class than that. He pulled himself up by his bootstraps and made the most of his chances.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 05:50:19 PM »
I don't think he is the type to ignore the writing on the wall as previous governments obviously have done http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=94.0 but from that starting point I think now is not the time to be 'sorting it out' the time for preparing to do so has been squandered.
I think the best that Starmer can do is as he says, to support the government when he thinks it is appropriate to do so and to make the case when it is not. To do that adequately he must be kept up to speed with developments and options as they occur in this time of National emergency. 

Does anyone know if there is provision for the leader of the opposition to be included in that?

I believe those wheels are already in motion.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 05:52:19 PM »
Congratulations for what?   Who did he beat and for what?

Keir Starmer has been elected as the new leader of the Opposition, Eleanor, replacing Jeremy Corbyn.