Author Topic: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.  (Read 26686 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2019, 08:32:18 PM »
So much in life perplexes you doesn’t it?  Holding onto and celebrating  history and tradition is an aspect of what makes a nation a nation.

People seem to be uniting over their defeats where Culloden is cncerned.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2019, 08:42:49 PM »
People seem to be uniting over their defeats where Culloden is cncerned.
And?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Brietta

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Online Eleanor

Offline Erngath

Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
Are these elevators real? If so it looks like Glaswegians are either going to have to modify their accents or get fit enough to walk up many stairs.  @)(++(*
Result = happy posting.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »
That was really funny.

LOL ... I've always found it hilarious and I think we've all been there ... I didn't expect it still to be here this morning once Admin cast a beady eye over it ... the language is appalling.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Erngath

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »
LOL ... I've always found it hilarious and I think we've all been there ... I didn't expect it still to be here this morning once Admin cast a beady eye over it ... the language is appalling.

It is appalling  but hilarious.
The ability of  Scots to laugh at themselves is a good quality.
 It is worthwhile noting that many Glaswegians have lovely accents, not all are Rab C Nesbitt. @)(++(*

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »
It is appalling  but hilarious.
The ability of  Scots to laugh at themselves is a good quality.
 It is worthwhile noting that many Glaswegians have lovely accents, not all are Rab C Nesbitt. @)(++(*

I could listen to Billy Connolly for ever but couldn't understand his hero, Hamish Imlach.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2019, 12:19:41 PM »
I could listen to Billy Connolly for ever but couldn't understand his hero, Hamish Imlach.

I'm ashamed to say I have never heard of Hamish Imlach.
Will go and have a Google.
Yes I too like Billy Connellys voice.
Needless to say my parents did not approve of his language but did find him funny.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »

I'm ashamed to say I have never heard of Hamish Imlach.
Will go and have a Google.
Yes I too like Billy Connellys voice.
Needless to say my parents did not approve of his language but did find him funny.

In the good old days of Irvine folk club when everyone was 'paid' peanuts ... my friends were among the good folk of Irvine who put the guys up in their homes.  Many a good laugh I've had at the tales of their antics.
All great folks who epitomised what it is to be Scottish.

It probably still goes on at Marymass (worth a Google) every year.

In saying - that we played a Connolly tape to Scottish exile friends on a visit home... we were helpless with laughter but their Irish spouses didn't catch a word.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:23:14 PM by Brietta »

Offline Erngath

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
In the good old days of Irvine folk club when everyone was 'paid' peanuts ... my friends were among the good folk of Irvine who put the guys up in their homes.  Many a good laugh I've had at the tales of their antics.
All great folks who epitomised what it is to be Scottish.

It probably still goes on at Marymass (worth a Google) every year.

In saying - that we played a Connelly tape to Scottish exile friends on a visit home... we were helpless with laughter but their Irish spouses didn't catch a word.

I was watching a programme about the Proclaimers recently.
Apparently their hit " I'm gonna be" was banned in some states of the USA because of the word " haver".
They believed it had sexual connotations.  @)(++(*
Will Google Marymass.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2019, 02:10:46 PM »
To clear up any misunderstanding, my post was not to be taken seriously.
I don't imagine the said Duke wants to be crowned King of Scotland.
Nor do I wish him to be.

There are more than enough Royals in the UK.
Decidedly too many .IMO
But that is a whole different topic.

OMG I agree with you too Erngath.  Far too many royals in the UK and costing us mere plebiscites far to much to keep in the manner they have been accustomed to.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Online Eleanor

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2019, 02:32:32 PM »
OMG I agree with you too Erngath.  Far too many royals in the UK and costing us mere plebiscites far to much to keep in the manner they have been accustomed to.

Google The Crown Properties.