Author Topic: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.  (Read 26680 times)

Online Eleanor

Re: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2019, 09:43:36 AM »

8()-000(

The first set of figures are the number of Scottish members of Parliament at Westminster
 The second set of figures are the Scottish Parliament members at the Scottish Parliament.

Why is there a difference?  Don't all MPs get to go to Westminster?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2019, 09:50:50 AM »
Why is there a difference?  Don't all MPs get to go to Westminster?

No, we vote for candidates to represent us at Westminster and different candidates to represent us at the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh.

And of course we vote for councillors  to represent us in our local authority elections.and we did have elections for members of the European Parliament.........that one will cease.

Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2019, 09:54:16 AM »
No, we vote for candidates to represent us at Westminster and different candidates to represent us at the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh.

And of course we vote for councillors  to represent us in our local authority elections.and we did have elections for members of the European Parliament.........that one will cease.

Gosh.  That is interesting.  I didn't know that.  Isn't it a bit complicated?

PS.  I did so want Independence for Scotland

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2019, 10:02:51 AM »

The Scottish people didn't want independance, however. We seem to have an ardent Scottish Nationalist posting here, but there are other opnions in Scotland.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Erngath

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »

As did I.
It may still happen as I'm sure there were many voters who like my son voted against Independence because he feared not being able to rejoin the EU.

No it's not too complicated but over the last few years which have also included two referendums and all these elections, we seem to have been jumping from one set of voting papers to the next.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2019, 10:05:50 AM »
The Scottish people didn't want independance, however. We seem to have an ardent Scottish Nationalist posting here, but there are other opnions in Scotland.

There are 'ardent" supporters of many a cause posting here.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2019, 10:25:29 AM »

There are 'ardent" supporters of many a cause posting here.

I can't think of any who speak (imo) as though they represent the views of an entire country.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2019, 10:32:52 AM »
I can't think of any who speak (imo) as though they represent the views of an entire country.

Now that is a ridiculous statement.
I speak for myself.
However there are many who share my opinions.
Look at the number of SNP members in Westminster and Holyrood.
You can easily ignore my posts if you find my views not to be representative of an entire nation.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2019, 10:55:40 AM »

Who?  Me?  My ardent love of Scotland is entirely related to ancestry, and working as a bus conductress in Glasgow, along with a fair few years of living there.
I never had a problem with drunks coming out of Ibrox on a Saturday night, although it was probably my accent that stopped them dead in their tracks.  And my bus driver, of course.  What a short arsed little warrior he was.  He would have been terrifying in a kilt with a claymore.

I never did resort to, "Come orn, get arf."  It made me laugh too much.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2019, 12:03:55 PM »
Who?  Me?  My ardent love of Scotland is entirely related to ancestry, and working as a bus conductress in Glasgow, along with a fair few years of living there.
I never had a problem with drunks coming out of Ibrox on a Saturday night, although it was probably my accent that stopped them dead in their tracks.  And my bus driver, of course.  What a short arsed little warrior he was.  He would have been terrifying in a kilt with a claymore.

I never did resort to, "Come orn, get arf."  It made me laugh too much.

No, not you. I too love Scotland and it's people. It's a pity that some of them see the answer to their troubles as lying in separation from the UK. After all, it's the UK government they resent and plenty of English people feel the same. Think of the North/South devide. When we lived in Germany we received an extra amount of money to live on. When we lived in the Outer Hebrides we didn't, although it was much more expensive than living in Germany. I was able o work in Germany, but the Hebrideans blocked Army wives from getting jobs there unless no local person was interested.
Result = happy posting.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2019, 12:17:22 PM »
No, not you. I too love Scotland and it's people. It's a pity that some of them see the answer to their troubles as lying in separation from the UK. After all, it's the UK government they resent and plenty of English people feel the same. Think of the North/South devide. When we lived in Germany we received an extra amount of money to live on. When we lived in the Outer Hebrides we didn't, although it was much more expensive than living in Germany. I was able o work in Germany, but the Hebrideans blocked Army wives from getting jobs there unless no local person was interested.

Ah, well, you have to go back a few years to understand how some Scots people feel.  That is The Nation you see.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »

English people get the government they vote for.
We don't.
It's really not as simple as resentment and finding the answer.to our problems.
It's a pity you cannot appreciate that many here would like to have their own government.
I'm off now to raise the Saltire at the foot of the garden, don the blue face paint,  in the style of Braveheart
and scream " Freedom"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:45:56 PM by Brietta »

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »

Indeed. Probably the best time for independance was in the 70's according to my gran. We had oil,gas,and a lot of industry...we were wealthy then, and could in the right hands, prosper like Norway, however labour controlled governements over the years followed by Conservatives made many economic mistakes not just for scotland but for all UK.

The scottish people voted for labour governements, thinking they were voting for the 'working man' but when the working man had little or no work they had no voice. thanks to Labour governments they voted for!
 Lets tell it like it really is eh?

As investments in people declined in Scotland- those who had talent= scientists/inventors,innovators-doctors nurses etc fled because they saw what was coming.  WHat was expected was the saviour of the SNP, but ,alas they turned out to be just as useless as Labour and Conservatives with their stupid ideas and money wasting projects. The Parliament was designed and built by non scots- paid for by non scots the estimated cost flew right off the richter scale!

The people who cared enough voted to stay within the UK. Those who want independance will have to prove to me why I should want that by hard facts and figures. 

Sturgeon is stealing money from the just over the poverty line to give to the below poverty line.  Who is going to provide our wealth? Germany? the EU?

SNP= keep on taxing us our of a job darling.

What has the SNP done to rid us of the embarassment of housing 'refugees' to not providing homes for those who born and work here? homeless 'refugees' well ther are none!   what has the SNP done to ensure scottish people have an opportunity to work with Scottish Government agencies  - we need to fill places with Polish/Africans really no white scottish people have these skills if not why not?

Not very Nationalist is it ? Building super hospitals with little or no regular bus services- out in a wilderness-staff with no suitable qualifications oh the list is endless.

However the SNP cannot claim to be successful in anything onw their own- can they?

I would love to hear the argument that independance would be great for Scotland- just what are the English holding back from us exactly?

It would be VERY interesting to assertain how many 2nd 3rd generation Irish voters want independance?...

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Erngath

« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2019, 03:47:28 PM »
Indeed. Probably the best time for independance was in the 70's according to my gran. We had oil,gas,and a lot of industry...we were wealthy then, and could in the right hands, prosper like Norway, however labour controlled governements over the years followed by Conservatives made many economic mistakes not just for scotland but for all UK.

The scottish people voted for labour governements, thinking they were voting for the 'working man' but when the working man had little or no work they had no voice. thanks to Labour governments they voted for!
 Lets tell it like it really is eh?

As investments in people declined in Scotland- those who had talent= scientists/inventors,innovators-doctors nurses etc fled because they saw what was coming.  WHat was expected was the saviour of the SNP, but ,alas they turned out to be just as useless as Labour and Conservatives with their stupid ideas and money wasting projects. The Parliament was designed and built by non scots- paid for by non scots the estimated cost flew right off the richter scale!

The people who cared enough voted to stay within the UK. Those who want independance will have to prove to me why I should want that by hard facts and figures. 

Sturgeon is stealing money from the just over the poverty line to give to the below poverty line.  Who is going to provide our wealth? Germany? the EU?

SNP= keep on taxing us our of a job darling.

What has the SNP done to rid us of the embarassment of housing 'refugees' to not providing homes for those who born and work here? homeless 'refugees' well ther are none!   what has the SNP done to ensure scottish people have an opportunity to work with Scottish Government agencies  - we need to fill places with Polish/Africans really no white scottish people have these skills if not why not?

Not very Nationalist is it ? Building super hospitals with little or no regular bus services- out in a wilderness-staff with no suitable qualifications oh the list is endless.

However the SNP cannot claim to be successful in anything onw their own- can they?

I would love to hear the argument that independance would be great for Scotland- just what are the English holding back from us exactly?

It would be VERY interesting to assertain how many 2nd 3rd generation Irish voters want independance?...

A very confused post.
I don't have the time or inclination to bother with it.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2019, 03:53:30 PM »

A very confused post.
I don't have the time or inclination to bother with it.

in other words  you have no real answer  to offer?  lol Indeed.

How about just telling us how the Scottish economy will work away from England? maybe how the border thingy will work do we seel our wares flying/ sailing around England?  Did sturgeon EVER tell us? I must have missed that bit.

Independance is a bit like- buy now pay for it  later...
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin