Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 17110 times)

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Re: Brexit
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »
A lot of people neither understood nor cared about the single market and the customs union imo. They understood freedom of movement because they saw the problems schools were facing with children who didn't speak English, they experienced situations where doctor's surgeries and hospital waiting rooms contained a high proportion of people who weren't speaking English. They knew that EU families were being paid tax credits even though only the man of the family was in the UK. They saw EU families being allocated social housing.

Those facts, in my opinion, influenced the vote because they affected people's lives in a way they could see, hear and feel. The other arguments may have been important, but how they related to everyday life wasn't clearly demonstrated. I think people voted on what they felt would improve their lives if the UK left the EU.

It doesn't really matter now, anyway, as the die is cast. If people suffer as a result of Brexit the blame lies with a man who promised a referendum for political reasons and misjudged the situation so badly he ended his own political career when the results of the vote came in. Other politicians then ended their political careers by appearing to ditch democracy completely.

Indeed people the majority being white and christian leaning regarding religion  should have a say in how they want their tax money to be spent and who should be allowed into the country and on what grounds.

Merkle opened the gates without consulting anyone- played down the treachery what was bestowed upon a nation, where women are still  being raped tormented murdered within and out with certain 'communities' which would NOT normally be associated with Germans. The EU continues to pay a heavy price and don't think for a moment that Poland, Hungry Italy are not all looking to see what happens with the Brexit... waiting.. watching...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9048105/Priti-Patel-urged-help-powerless-council-shut-Park-Lane-homeless-encampment.html.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:31:37 PM by Miss Taken Identity »
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2020, 09:29:23 PM »

Brexit: Armed Navy boats on standby to protect UK waters in case of no deal

Armed Royal Navy boats are being prepared to patrol the UK's fishing waters in an apparent final warning shot to Brussels as negotiations enter the final 48 hours.

Four of the 80-metre vessels are on standby to guard British waters from EU fishermen in case no deal is agreed on fishing rights after the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-armed-navy-boats-on-standby-to-protect-uk-waters-in-case-of-no-deal-12158624

Erm, how is that supposed fishers to export 80-90% of their catch to their largest market?

They should come  to OUR landing markets and buy like everyone else does on trade? yes /no?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9048047/Foreign-owned-trawler-controls-QUARTER-Englands-fishing-quota-biggest-Brexit-share.html

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2020, 09:37:33 PM »
"Sovereignty"? In what sense?

When you sign up to any club, there are rights and obligations. The Uk was one of the major players in shaping EU "law", which then applied to all members.

Going back to WTO rules will still mean abiding by rules.

Well, that isn't entirely true now  is it?

In the sense that you can come into myhome and share my food as I can come into your and share your food,BUT you cannot come into my house and tell me what sexuality I must have, what food I should eat, tell me how to bring up my children with YOUR version of what would be acceptable to YOUR agenda.

They do business with the rest of the world including China... they dictate their terms on those countries?

And would they care much if Hungary or Poland jumped ship?

Offline Carana

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2020, 10:32:44 PM »
Duncan Smith says that "no deal" is a misnomer as falling back on WTO terms would still represent a deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F83BpNw7VU

Erm...

Offline Carana

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2020, 10:45:44 PM »

They should come  to OUR landing markets and buy like everyone else does on trade? yes /no?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9048047/Foreign-owned-trawler-controls-QUARTER-Englands-fishing-quota-biggest-Brexit-share.html

Together, the EU countries establish quotas. Then, the countries concerned apportion their quota domestically.

A problem appears to be that the Uk governement allowed fishing rights /quotas to be sold off to foreign companies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/52420116

Is that an EU issue, or a UK one?

Offline Carana

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2020, 11:11:33 PM »
Well, that isn't entirely true now  is it?

In the sense that you can come into myhome and share my food as I can come into your and share your food,BUT you cannot come into my house and tell me what sexuality I must have, what food I should eat, tell me how to bring up my children with YOUR version of what would be acceptable to YOUR agenda.

They do business with the rest of the world including China... they dictate their terms on those countries?

And would they care much if Hungary or Poland jumped ship?

If I join a club, I sign up to the rules. Once I'm in, I and the other members agree on other rules, or disband existing ones, as necessary.

If I decide to leave the club, but would like to continue to benefit from some services, it is then up to the existing members to determine the conditions, subject to negotiation with me as an external party.

Even if I have something useful to offer in return, I don't hold all the cards.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2020, 08:30:38 AM »

When you sign up to any club, there are rights and obligations. The Uk was one of the major players in shaping EU "law", which then applied to all members.

Going back to WTO rules will still mean abiding by rules.

When you leave a club those rights and obligations cease. If the UK was a major player our governments from Thatcher onwards deceived us by posing as victims of the EU. They were always setting off to 'do battle' with the EU, we were told.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2020, 09:16:09 AM »
When you leave a club those rights and obligations cease. If the UK was a major player our governments from Thatcher onwards deceived us by posing as victims of the EU. They were always setting off to 'do battle' with the EU, we were told.
Some would say that this country hasn't done so badly in the last 40 years as part of the EU.  Of course it depends what your measures are.  Personally I preferred Britain in 1997, 2007 and 2017 to Britain in 1977 (although admittedly the Top 40 was better then).
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2020, 10:54:19 AM »
Some would say that this country hasn't done so badly in the last 40 years as part of the EU.  Of course it depends what your measures are.  Personally I preferred Britain in 1997, 2007 and 2017 to Britain in 1977 (although admittedly the Top 40 was better then).

I was impressed by the minimum wage and minimum holidays set by the EU. That's about it.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »
Hmmm?

Is the govt concerned about the impact of no deal Brexit on food prices and shortages of some products?

Chair of Tesco warns prices could rise by 5%, with 2 months of shortages. @Foodanddrinkfed
 says no deal would be “catastrophic.”

Dominic Raab told me “we’re going to be fine”

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1338462532407857152

Raab says, in the event of a no deal, a price increase due to tariffs would only amount to less than 2%. Erm, not that simple (tariffs vary hugely depending on what foodstuffs /beverages).

However, he is correct to say that FX, etc, will also have an impact. He doesn't mention the cost of the enormous amount red tape... that doesn't come for free.

I don't think he's correct to say that 50% of food "comes from the UK", 20% from the rest of the world and 30% from the EU. Methinks a bit of fudging there.

Two weeks left until Brexit officially kicks in, and still no one knows what the hell they're supposed to actually prepare for, let alone how.

I feel most sorry for the little mom and pop businesses.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2020, 02:19:00 PM »
If I join a club, I sign up to the rules. Once I'm in, I and the other members agree on other rules, or disband existing ones, as necessary.

If I decide to leave the club, but would like to continue to benefit from some services, it is then up to the existing members to determine the conditions, subject to negotiation with me as an external party.

Even if I have something useful to offer in return, I don't hold all the cards.

You may not hold all the cards, but you must have some or the club wouldn't be interested. Both sides are entitled to say "‘Thus far shall you come, and no farther, and here shall your proud waves be stayed" (Job 38:11)

Is the club entitled to impose conditions which ensure you don't upset it's members by competing with them or to demand that it's members are still allowed to use premises belonging to you, which was something you allowed only because you were a member of the club?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2020, 08:17:03 AM »
You may not hold all the cards, but you must have some or the club wouldn't be interested. Both sides are entitled to say "‘Thus far shall you come, and no farther, and here shall your proud waves be stayed" (Job 38:11)

Is the club entitled to impose conditions which ensure you don't upset it's members by competing with them or to demand that it's members are still allowed to use premises belonging to you, which was something you allowed only because you were a member of the club?
Conditions that you yourself helped to write and would have been only too keen to enforce if (say) Germany had decided to leave the club instead of you?  The club wants access to use your premises in return for something rather valuable, so you have a choice: don’t grant access and don’t have the access to the single market in return. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2020, 12:51:31 PM »
Conditions that you yourself helped to write and would have been only too keen to enforce if (say) Germany had decided to leave the club instead of you?  The club wants access to use your premises in return for something rather valuable, so you have a choice: don’t grant access and don’t have the access to the single market in return.

Do you have any basis for your statement about the UK's reaction if another country had decided to leave, or is it just speculation on your part?

The impression our Prime Minister has given is that the UK will not compromise if it's sovereignty is threatened.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2020, 01:19:25 PM »
Do you have any basis for your statement about the UK's reaction if another country had decided to leave, or is it just speculation on your part?

The impression our Prime Minister has given is that the UK will not compromise if it's sovereignty is threatened.
Yes, the basis for my statement is that Britain was party to the rule-making in the first instance and did not (as far as I'm aware) object at any point whilst a member of the EU to these particular stipulations, unless you have information to the contrary?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2020, 01:29:47 PM »
It seems the EU isn't as wonderful as the propagandists portrayed it. The cracks are beginning to show as the UK determinedly pursue their democratically chosen course.

Result = happy posting.