Author Topic: Could the referendum result be legally challenged?  (Read 22489 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Could the referendum result be legally challenged?
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2019, 09:30:51 AM »
Yes, see the links above.  About time imo.  No other individual acting in a professional capacity or organisation is allowed to advertise unsupported claims.

Which claims were supported by facts?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2019, 01:28:16 PM »
Which claims were supported by facts?

No idea.  It was obvious to me both sides were bandying about all sorts of unsubstantiated claims.  I lost interest and did not have the time or inclination to undertake my own research.  The point is only in the world of politics are politicians allowed to get away with misleading the public. 

In any other walk of life: car sales, financial services, utilities, telecomms, pharma ind, food ind etc, etc suppliers are duty bound to provide accurate info supported by meaningful and relevant data to enable consumers to make informed choices.  And when something goes awry those responsible are held to account and redress given.

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Carana

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2019, 04:44:31 PM »
@ Holly

The case failed. Not because Johnson's wild claim was true, but due to murky laws.

http://barristerblogger.com/2018/09/14/prosecuting-boris-johnson-over-brexit-lies-would-be-an-ill-conceived-publicity-stunt/

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
@ Holly

The case failed. Not because Johnson's wild claim was true, but due to murky laws.

http://barristerblogger.com/2018/09/14/prosecuting-boris-johnson-over-brexit-lies-would-be-an-ill-conceived-publicity-stunt/
It’s going ahead.

ETA:  sorry, just seen the news, I was wrong :-/
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 06:19:49 PM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »
@ Holly

It was a private proscecution- looked upon as vexatious. waste of money.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »
Not sure why he'd come into the vexatious litigant category, but I don't know much about him.

I'm not sure who was legally responsible for signing off the £350 slogan. Did he actively tout it as truth (can't remember). If he did, why do so if he knew it was rubbish?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2019, 09:01:57 PM »
Not sure why he'd come into the vexatious litigant category, but I don't know much about him.

I'm not sure who was legally responsible for signing off the £350 slogan. Did he actively tout it as truth (can't remember). If he did, why do so if he knew it was rubbish?

Firstly clearing any misconception- I do not like BOJO not one bit!  However, on this  particular matter it was claimed that the money spent on the EU could be spent on NHS - no one said it was going to be. scrapping VAT would be a god send for may businesses and public alike.  20% is way toomuch- the actual amount we pay in tax from each pound we earn-calculated would astound people!  AND THAT ratfest of a Labour party under phony Tony hiked up tax on a lot more things for a lot less to show for it.. well apart from big guns and war stuff........... it is the lower paid who pay more tax. many rich people don't pay any.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin