UK and North American politics. > A look at British politics in the light of the decision to leave the EU.

Brexit

(1/25) > >>

G-Unit:
I was wondering what people think of Brexit now, as the split from the EU is imminent. The EU seem determined to retain some control over the UK as the price of a trade deal. Is that because they fear competition from the UK? There is also the matter of fishing, which is causing problems. Is this being driven by France, given the militancy of French fishermen? Who is being unrealistic? The British, who want to regain full control of their own affairs, or the EU who want a closer relationship than the one on offer?

barrier:
Boris was elected on the premise of delivering brexit, maybe just maybe we have a prime minister who'll deliver on a promise deal or no deal, the EU want it on their terms.

Venturi Swirl:
I still think Brexit is going to be a disaster for this country but I think both sides in the negotiations need their heads knocking together to get a deal pronto.

Venturi Swirl:

--- Quote from: barrier on December 11, 2020, 11:07:00 AM ---Boris was elected on the premise of delivering brexit, maybe just maybe we have a prime minister who'll deliver on a promise deal or no deal, the EU want it on their terms.

--- End quote ---
Boris’s tippety top ‘Australia deal’ looks to be the front runner atm.   What a complete joke.

Carana:
I still haven't found any upside. The EU is by no means devoid of defects, but it's a force to be reckoned with. And, until Brexit, the UK was one of the major voices at the table in shaping it.

My feeling is that some  (Russia, the far right nationalists, ERG lot, Bannon/ Farage inter alia) wanted to break up Europe, and the crack in the oyster was via the UK.

The UK was fed up of years of austerity and was spoonfed the notion that any domestic problems were somehow all caused by "Brussels".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version