Author Topic: Would the libel case had a different result if pecuniary damages weren't sought?  (Read 21211 times)

Offline Miss Taken Identity

He probably understands the Portuguese legal system and isn’t bothered.

Also he got his apology- He wasn't doing it for the money. Unlike the McCanns who were doing it for the money because if it were justice they were after, as we are told, then they would not have sued Amaral for a lottley figure of  money. Maybe a token amount of, say, 25 thousand to cover legal fees, travel etc.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Venturi Swirl

Also he got his apology- He wasn't doing it for the money. Unlike the McCanns who were doing it for the money because if it were justice they were after, as we are told, then they would not have sued Amaral for a lottley figure of  money. Maybe a token amount of, say, 25 thousand to cover legal fees, travel etc.
If it were me I would think it justice that the man who wrote a book that falsely accused me of hiding my child’s body were forced to pay all his earnings from the book into. Fund to help me find her.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

If it were me I would think it justice that the man who wrote a book that falsely accused me of hiding my child’s body were forced to pay all his earnings from the book into. Fund to help me find her.

The fund wasn't just being used to find her. How about the parents being sued for leaving their daughter alone crying at night and god knows what happened to her. Eh? How about that. They have made a lot of money from their daughters disappearance.  Pass me a hankie! 8)><(
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Robittybob1

The fund wasn't just being used to find her. How about the parents being sued for leaving their daughter alone crying at night and god knows what happened to her. Eh? How about that. They have made a lot of money from their daughters disappearance.  Pass me a hankie! 8)><(
Who is going to sue the parents?  Could the twins sue their parents?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Venturi Swirl

??? (&^&
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

All his earnings being I.2 million? Like the McCanns you're way off the mark. Also the only way to 'force' Amaral to pay anything into the Fund was for the Fund to sue him. The McCanns sued him in their own names so it they had won it was up to them what they did with the money. It would probably have been as difficult to check if they handed it all to the Fund as it has been to check if all the book earnings went into the Fund.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

All his earnings being I.2 million? Like the McCanns you're way off the mark. Also the only way to 'force' Amaral to pay anything into the Fund was for the Fund to sue him. The McCanns sued him in their own names so it they had won it was up to them what they did with the money. It would probably have been as difficult to check if they handed it all to the Fund as it has been to check if all the book earnings went into the Fund.
Did I say all his earnings came to 1.2 million?  No.  I was describing a hypothetical situation and what I would have done and how to me thT would have equalled justice.  How much did Amaral earn off the back of his career promoting Madeleine’s demise and her parents’ guilt then?  Book, video, TV appearances, media interviews...? 

Offline G-Unit

Did I say all his earnings came to 1.2 million?  No.  I was describing a hypothetical situation and what I would have done and how to me thT would have equalled justice.  How much did Amaral earn off the back of his career promoting Madeleine’s demise and her parents’ guilt then?  Book, video, TV appearances, media interviews...?

All his earnings from his book, you said. That's 342,111.86 Euros.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

All his earnings from his book, you said. That's 342,111.86 Euros.
That will do for starters.  How much were the McCanns sueing the other defendants for?

Offline G-Unit

That will do for starters.  How much were the McCanns sueing the other defendants for?

What has that got to do with it? They wanted 1.2 million Euros from Amaral, which was far in excess of his earnings from his book. Had he been intimidated like the UK media and offered to settle, I expect they would have graciously accepted every penny he had instead. He refused, demanded they prove their case, and the rest is history.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Robittybob1

What has that got to do with it? They wanted 1.2 million Euros from Amaral, which was far in excess of his earnings from his book. Had he been intimidated like the UK media and offered to settle, I expect they would have graciously accepted every penny he had instead. He refused, demanded they prove their case, and the rest is history.
So are you saying no money was transferred to the McCanns as a result of the first court case?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

So are you saying no money was transferred to the McCanns as a result of the first court case?

First case against whom?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Montclair

Of course not! The defendants appealed and the appeals are suspensive.

Offline Robittybob1

Of course not! The defendants appealed and the appeals are suspensive.
OK so the Courts will be wanting their fees.
Moderation

Offline jassi

OK so the Courts will be wanting their fees.

Too right they will, and not just the courts, lawyers expect to be paid as well.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future