Author Topic: Would a second referendum or peoples vote achieve anything?  (Read 15462 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Would a second referendum or peoples vote achieve anything?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 01:34:19 PM »
I'd hope that more people have woken up to what the various options entail, in which case more people could make a better informed decision this time.

As May's deal is off the table (and I very much doubt that the EU would agree to anything beyond a cosmetic tweak of it), that leaves no-deal (which is sheer madness IMO) or no-Brexit.

An issue with a new referendum would be the need for an extension, which would require sound reasons (and no, Boris et al., the EU is already fed up with Brexit).

The only other option would be to revoke Article 50, and it has recently been established that that can be done unilaterally. The problem with that is that the pro-Brexit factions won't be happy.

If only Cameron and co. had done their homework BEFORE calling for the referendum, it might not have been put on the table in the first place.

According to some articles I've read, the whole idea wasn't about improving the UK, but about shutting up the right-wing of the Conservative party.

Why do people assume that voters will vote differently if only they are given the 'correct' information? It's a matter of opinion which information is 'correct' and there's no reason to believe that voters want to change their minds.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »
Why do people assume that voters will vote differently if only they are given the 'correct' information? It's a matter of opinion which information is 'correct' and there's no reason to believe that voters want to change their minds.
If that’s the case why are most leavers against a second referendum and most remainers for it?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Sunny

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 08:39:06 PM »
If that’s the case why are most leavers against a second referendum and most remainers for it?

I didn't vote leave but as I have mentioned I have changed my mind so it may be 17million and one now. However I can understand leavers being annoyed. The referendum was supposed to be once in a lifetime not once a year or so.

I wonder what will happen if this "peoples vote" points to leave again? Best of 5?
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 08:53:35 PM »
I didn't vote leave but as I have mentioned I have changed my mind so it may be 17million and one now. However I can understand leavers being annoyed. The referendum was supposed to be once in a lifetime not once a year or so.

I wonder what will happen if this "peoples vote" points to leave again? Best of 5?

Those oh so clever poliyicians still think they can convince people to 'get it right'. Their arrogance is breathtaking.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 09:01:59 PM »

It wouldn’t be a second referendum, it would be a first referendum regarding the type of Brexit people actually want.  G-Unit reckons all leavers want the same thing.  I dispute that.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 09:13:45 PM »
A very good New Year to all.
I voted to remain as did the majority of folk here in Scotland.
I have no faith at all in the Westminster Government.
I can only see this whole debacle leading to a strengthening of the vote for independence.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:35:41 AM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Carana

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 08:42:20 AM »
I believe you are partially correct Carana however the fact that millions were voting UKIP probably had something to do with it as UKIP were corroding the Conservative vote as I remember.

Sometimes I find it hard to tell the difference between UKIP and the far right wing of the Conservative party. UKIP seems to be more overtly xenophobic and racist, otherwise much of a muchness.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 09:27:53 AM »
Sometimes I find it hard to tell the difference between UKIP and the far right wing of the Conservative party. UKIP seems to be more overtly xenophobic and racist, otherwise much of a muchness.

I think a lot of people were voting for Farage rather than for UKIP. Since he left the party it's dead in the water. Farage is poised to return to canpaifning if another referendum is arranged.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 01:21:33 PM »
I think a lot of people were voting for Farage rather than for UKIP. Since he left the party it's dead in the water. Farage is poised to return to canpaifning if another referendum is arranged.

Farage in December:
Speaking at a Leave Means Leave rally in London, he “implored” Brexiteers to prepare for another campaign, suggesting he expected a fresh referendum within months.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-referendum-nigel-farage-ukip-leave-remain-peoples-vote-final-say-theresa-may-deal-jo-johnson-a8685346.html

Offline Carana

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 01:38:55 PM »
I despair...

James O’Brien and LBC listeners alike were left in disbelief when this caller said he voted Brexit because he wants Britain to retain the three-pin plug.

Robert from Rochester originally phoned up LBC to rail against the idea of a second referendum.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-caller-voted-brexit-three-pin-plugs/

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »
I despair...

James O’Brien and LBC listeners alike were left in disbelief when this caller said he voted Brexit because he wants Britain to retain the three-pin plug.

Robert from Rochester originally phoned up LBC to rail against the idea of a second referendum.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-caller-voted-brexit-three-pin-plugs/
Now if the EU had said we have to adopt those two prong thingys by law I probably would have voted leave too.

Offline Carana

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 09:37:26 AM »

There's no way of knowing how many, but some people voted for Brexit believing that the NHS really would get £350m a week, others were terrified at the idea of millions of Turks suddenly invading the UK as Turkey was presented as about to become a EU member. *

Both of those are about as likely as me becoming the next pope and the politicians responsible have since laughed it off or dodged the question when challenged during interviews.

That doesn't even touch on the brainwashing with half-truths in the (mainly) tabloid media over decades. I know people who still believe Boris's bendy-banana myth.

* Links as I find them... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/18/boris-johnson-falsely-denies-issuing-turkey-warning-in-brexit-campaign
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:01:37 AM by Carana »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
There's no way of knowing how many, but some people voted for Brexit believing that the NHS really would get £350m a week, others were terrified at the idea of millions of Turks suddenly invading the UK as Turkey was presented as about to become a EU member.

Both of those are about as likely as me becoming the next pope and the politicians responsible have since laughed it off or dodged the question when challenged during interviews.

That doesn't even touch on the brainwashing with half-truths in the (mainly) tabloid media over decades. I know people who still believe Boris's bendy-banana myth.

I think that human tsunami of "refugees" marching towards Germany having been invited by Merkel may have had some effect...no one imagined that

Offline Carana

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »

What makes you tend towards voting Leave now if you had a chance?

Offline Carana

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 09:54:40 AM »
I think that human tsunami of "refugees" marching towards Germany having been invited by Merkel may have had some effect...no one imagined that

One may or may not  agree with Merkel's government's stance on accepting an admittedly large number of refugees fleeing from war.

But what does that have to do with the UK?