Author Topic: Wandering Off Topic  (Read 1464911 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #5880 on: July 06, 2019, 07:05:17 PM »
Apologies if I misunderstood. Please explain ?

I think it is a bad decision to keep people in prison just because they won't reveal where the body is.

Tough Titty means Hard Luck.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #5881 on: July 06, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »
I think it is a bad decision to keep people in prison just because they won't reveal where the body is.

I think if they have admitted to the murder it is different matter and possibly in a cast iron case.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #5882 on: July 06, 2019, 07:16:00 PM »

Of course they refuse parole already if the prisoner will not admit their crime.

As you say tough titty for the innocent.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #5883 on: July 07, 2019, 02:36:58 PM »
Paedophiles should have to pass a lie detector test to prove they are safe to leave prison, former police chief says

'Every person involved in sexual offence should be subject to a polygraph,' Mr Gamble said in an interview with The Telegraph.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7118573/Paedophiles-pass-lie-detector-test-former-police-chief-says.html?ico=fbia_related_article

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/07/paedophiles-should-face-lie-detector-tests-released-jail-former/

I don't agree- using a lie detector test would be IMO unethical.  A confession which was backed up with substancial evidence to be convicted would be my preferred choice.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline misty

« Reply #5884 on: July 16, 2019, 01:17:44 AM »
@ShiningInLuz

I seem to remember you were following this case of the murdered triathlete. What do you make of this revelation about the alleged murder weapon & the contamination of the gun barrel in the chain of evidence?

https://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/investigacao-cm--reviravolta-no-julgamento-de-luis-grilo-arma-que-matou-triatleta-nao-pertence-a-antonio-joaquim-veja-agora-na-cmtv?ref=HP_PrimeirosDestaques

Offline misty

« Reply #5885 on: July 16, 2019, 01:34:55 AM »

https://www.portugalresident.com/2019/07/10/parents-kidnap-child-from-foster-care-and-keep-her-in-cupboard/

By Natasha Donn  2019-07-10 Posted  2019-07-10  InPortugal

An investigation into what happened to an 11-year-old girl who went missing from foster care two years ago ended yesterday with police discovering her living in a cupboard.

The now 13-year-old had been ‘kidnapped by her parents’ and hidden with relatives in Porto.

She has now been removed to an institution in Lisbon, explains tabloid Correio da Manhă, giving no indication whether the child was compliant in her two-year ordeal.

The history of the case suggests otherwise. The girl was removed from her biological family as a result of “continuous mistreatment”, says the paper.

She was then snatched back (it is not explained how) after being fostered with a family in Cascais.

The family reported her disappearance to authorities which have been trying to find the girl ever since, says CM.

The paper explains that whenever authorities visited the house where the child was being kept, she was made to hide in the cupboard which had been designed for her to sleep in.

The youngster was eventually found and freed on Tuesday morning at 7am.

The relatives who have been hiding her (described as an uncle and aunt) are now due to appear in court.

They apparently have children of their own, says CM.

Neighbours have described their surprise at the situation, saying they ‘never saw’ the hidden child and had no idea she had been living with the family for so long.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

============================================================

The above is a chilling example of just how easy it was to conceal a child from the authorities for a sustained period of time. What hope did Madeleine have after being written off as dead?  8(8-))

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #5886 on: July 16, 2019, 06:28:17 AM »
@ShiningInLuz

I seem to remember you were following this case of the murdered triathlete. What do you make of this revelation about the alleged murder weapon & the contamination of the gun barrel in the chain of evidence?

https://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/investigacao-cm--reviravolta-no-julgamento-de-luis-grilo-arma-que-matou-triatleta-nao-pertence-a-antonio-joaquim-veja-agora-na-cmtv?ref=HP_PrimeirosDestaques

First, many thanks for this.   *&(+(+

I may be reading this a different way to you.  To me, this says a bullet retrieved from the triathlete's head does not match a bullet from the boyfriend's gun.  A mismatch of striations.

So although the boyfiend's gun is the right calibre (a common calibre), it appears a different gun is involved.

The boyfriend is seeking immediate release from preventative prison.
What's up, old man?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #5887 on: July 16, 2019, 06:33:33 AM »
https://www.portugalresident.com/2019/07/10/parents-kidnap-child-from-foster-care-and-keep-her-in-cupboard/

By Natasha Donn  2019-07-10 Posted  2019-07-10  InPortugal

An investigation into what happened to an 11-year-old girl who went missing from foster care two years ago ended yesterday with police discovering her living in a cupboard.

The now 13-year-old had been ‘kidnapped by her parents’ and hidden with relatives in Porto.

She has now been removed to an institution in Lisbon, explains tabloid Correio da Manhă, giving no indication whether the child was compliant in her two-year ordeal.

The history of the case suggests otherwise. The girl was removed from her biological family as a result of “continuous mistreatment”, says the paper.

She was then snatched back (it is not explained how) after being fostered with a family in Cascais.

The family reported her disappearance to authorities which have been trying to find the girl ever since, says CM.

The paper explains that whenever authorities visited the house where the child was being kept, she was made to hide in the cupboard which had been designed for her to sleep in.

The youngster was eventually found and freed on Tuesday morning at 7am.

The relatives who have been hiding her (described as an uncle and aunt) are now due to appear in court.

They apparently have children of their own, says CM.

Neighbours have described their surprise at the situation, saying they ‘never saw’ the hidden child and had no idea she had been living with the family for so long.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

============================================================

The above is a chilling example of just how easy it was to conceal a child from the authorities for a sustained period of time. What hope did Madeleine have after being written off as dead?  8(8-))

It's an interesting thought.

If a girl of Madeleine's age turned up at our neighbours' complex tomorrow, I doubt if I would notice anything remiss.  Unless she started a conversation with me in English.
What's up, old man?

Offline Carana

« Reply #5888 on: July 17, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »
The problem with that is that if the convicted person is not actually guilty, then he cannot say where a body is.

Agree. Reminds me of the potential situation in a different missing child's case...

Offline misty

« Reply #5889 on: July 19, 2019, 02:24:07 AM »
First, many thanks for this.   *&(+(+

I may be reading this a different way to you.  To me, this says a bullet retrieved from the triathlete's head does not match a bullet from the boyfriend's gun.  A mismatch of striations.

So although the boyfiend's gun is the right calibre (a common calibre), it appears a different gun is involved.

The boyfriend is seeking immediate release from preventative prison.
I was wondering how the victim's DNA found its way onto the barrel of gun which could not have been the murder weapon.....

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #5890 on: July 19, 2019, 02:28:20 AM »
I was wondering how the victim's DNA found its way onto the barrel of gun which could not have been the murder weapon.....

OK, I shall re-read in the morning.
What's up, old man?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #5891 on: July 19, 2019, 09:07:55 AM »

What type of DNA test was used?  Did the victim have reason at any time to have contact with the murder weapon?
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline misty

« Reply #5892 on: July 22, 2019, 11:41:22 PM »
What type of DNA test was used?  Did the victim have reason at any time to have contact with the murder weapon?

No idea what type of DNA test was used. The co-accused is (I think) a police officer so I would presume access to his firearm was restricted.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #5893 on: July 23, 2019, 12:13:52 AM »
No idea what type of DNA test was used. The co-accused is (I think) a police officer so I would presume access to his firearm was restricted.

Standard GNR issue is a 9 mm Glock.

PS.  I have not forgotten I need to read your link again.  It's been very hectic here for the last 5 days or so.
What's up, old man?

Offline misty

« Reply #5894 on: July 23, 2019, 12:23:18 AM »
Standard GNR issue is a 9 mm Glock.

PS.  I have not forgotten I need to read your link again.  It's been very hectic here for the last 5 days or so.

No worries. A Google search brings up doubts about Joaquim's pistol being the murder weapon as far back as last November so I'm unsure why the PP included it in the charges.
Are the fires getting worse?