Author Topic: The Defence Will State Their Case  (Read 600107 times)

Offline [...]

Re: The Defence Will State Their Case
« Reply #1815 on: September 29, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »
Jixy... The tweeting that was allowed at this trial, I do not understand why....

The only person I know of that a judge allowed journalists to tweet about was at Julian Assange's hearing..

Is it OK to tweet in court?
Journalists used Twitter to provide live updates from court during Julian Assange's application for bail. But was this legal?

Has this case got anything to do with Julian Assange??

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2010/dec/15/journalists-use-twitter-in-court

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2010/dec/15/tweeting-court-reporters-julian-assange

[attachment deleted by admin]

jixy

« Reply #1816 on: September 29, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
Never thought about Tweeting at a trial but have a look at this link and what it outlines..

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/guest-blog-how-to-tweet-safely-from-court

Offline [...]

« Reply #1817 on: September 30, 2018, 09:36:05 AM »
DECEMBER 19, 2011 CLELAND THOM    NEWS   
Guest blog:

How to Tweet safely from court

Here’s some practical tips on Tweeting from court, following the Lord Chief Justice’s announcement last week.

1. A journalist or a legal commentator CAN Tweet from a public court case without asking the judge first. If you’re not sure if you’re a journalist or a legal commentator, then you’re probably not one! Best to check with the court – see point 5, below.
2. Live blogging etc by journalists or legal commentators is also acceptable – they can use other  media than Twitter.
3. Mobile devices must be set to silent.
4. Tweeting should be silent, unobstrusive and carried out with hand-held devices – not laptops or notebooks.
5. Members of the public, citizen journalists, student journalists and bloggers can only Tweet if they have permission from the court in advance. SO:
* Editors should not allow work experience trainees etc to Tweet from court cases.
* Student journalists, citizen journalists and bloggers cannot Tweet live from court cases without advance consent.
6. Audio recordings of court proceedings are not allowed.
7. Photographs taken in the court, or its precincts, are not allowed
8. A judge can order the media to stop Tweeting at any time. The media does not have an automatic right to challenge this.
9. Tweets should follow the Contempt of Court Act s4 – they should be:
* A fair report of the trial, when taken together.
* Accurate – ie, close to the way the jury heard it.
* Published contemporaneously.
* Published in good faith. This means excluding material that could create a substantial risk of serious prejudice – either to the trial in hand, or another one. Don’t Tweet:
* Anything said in the jury’s absence.
* Information that could allow a witness to change their evidence.
* Links to pre-trial stories about the case.
* Details of mixed pleas – where a defendant admits some offences and denies others.
* Details of any future cases involving a defendant.

10. Do not Tweet anything that could reveal the ID of someone who has anonymity. Remember that the latest Tweet could provide ID information when read with an earlier one.
11. The above applies to public hearings in civil courts and family courts. Although these hearings do not have juries, live Tweeting could cause witnesses worry, distraction and pressure.
12. The new guidance does not mention inquests. Take advice before Tweeting from an inquest.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/guest-blog-how-to-tweet-safely-from-court

Offline justsaying

« Reply #1818 on: September 30, 2018, 02:55:40 PM »
prior to that date journalists could tweet with permission from the judge.

Offline [...]

« Reply #1819 on: October 01, 2018, 11:00:08 AM »
Legislation UK

41 Prohibition on taking photographs, &c., in court.

(c)a photograph, portrait or sketch shall be deemed to be a photograph, portrait or sketch taken or made in court if it is taken or made in the court–room or in the building or in the precincts of the building in which the court is held, or if it is a photograph, portrait or sketch taken or made of the person while he is entering or leaving the court–room or any such building or precincts as aforesaid.

Definition: The area within the walls or perceived boundaries of a particular building or place.

So would you class outside the court house a perceived boundary?? 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/15-16/86/section/41

Offline justsaying

« Reply #1820 on: October 01, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
Photographs are allowed to be taken outside the court building itself. There are many, many examples where people/witnesses/defendants have been photographed outside court buildings. I am not sure what relevance this has as to whether or not Tabak is guilty.

Offline [...]

« Reply #1821 on: October 01, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »
Photographs are allowed to be taken outside the court building itself. There are many, many examples where people/witnesses/defendants have been photographed outside court buildings. I am not sure what relevance this has as to whether or not Tabak is guilty.

But is that after a trial has finished or during??  Also what about identifying witness's ??

Would you like to share your examples?

I'm sure you know better than me JustSaying...  I am just a beginner....

Offline justsaying

« Reply #1822 on: October 01, 2018, 02:28:52 PM »
There are numerous examples played out on the news all the time. Witnesses can be identified unless the courts say otherwise. Have a look on Google Nine, and pay attention to the news when they are reporting on a trial, you will see it is not uncommon.

Offline [...]

« Reply #1823 on: October 01, 2018, 02:31:35 PM »
There are numerous examples played out on the news all the time. Witnesses can be identified unless the courts say otherwise. Have a look on Google Nine, and pay attention to the news when they are reporting on a trial, you will see it is not uncommon.

I don't watch the news any more... So nothing to pay attention too... 

I don't know what is real or fake news anymore.... Could you point me in the direction of a reputable news agency..  Because i cannot think of one off hand...

Offline justsaying

« Reply #1824 on: October 01, 2018, 02:38:28 PM »
Surprising, considering you use news reports to prove Tabaks alleged innocence...

Offline nina

« Reply #1825 on: October 01, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »
But is that after a trial has finished or during??  Also what about identifying witness's ??

Would you like to share your examples?

I'm sure you know better than me JustSaying...  I am just a beginner....

Millie Dowler's parents plus murderer Levi Bellfield.

Sian O'Callaghan & Becky Goidden's murderer Christopher Halliwell.

etc., etc.,

Offline [...]

« Reply #1826 on: October 01, 2018, 06:00:40 PM »
Millie Dowler's parents plus murderer Levi Bellfield.

Sian O'Callaghan & Becky Goidden's murderer Christopher Halliwell.

etc., etc.,

Thanks for the info..... Hi Nina, it's been a while...

Offline nina

« Reply #1827 on: October 01, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »
Thanks for that have removed offending post....

Nine you have always taken me the wrong way, just because I'm `on the other side'. Your prerogative.

I would like to ask you to please, pretty please, tell us why you think that VT is innocent.

I could maybe understand where you're coming from if I understood that.

Offline nina

« Reply #1828 on: October 01, 2018, 06:24:11 PM »
Sorry Nine thought that was aimed at me.

Yes it has been a while. Will you answer my question?

Offline [...]

« Reply #1829 on: October 01, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »
Nine you have always taken me the wrong way, just because I'm `on the other side'. Your prerogative.

I would like to ask you to please, pretty please, tell us why you think that VT is innocent.

I could maybe understand where you're coming from if I understood that.

I've given up Nina.... Don't know anything anymore...  I have written what I have thought throughout this thread and I have come to the conclusion, I know nothing.... No reflection on anyone else... Just how I feel... 

I had hoped there was evidence to support the conviction, but there isn't... I go round in circles, and I feel like a laughing stock...

I've embarrassed myself for long enough...