Author Topic: What was Julie going to use the bike for ?  (Read 8810 times)

Offline Myster

Re: What was Julie going to use the bike for ?
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »

Surely all farm workers live in tied cottages and it isn't unreasonable for the boss's son to get a few "extras". Was there perhaps, a little coercion on Neville's part to entice Jeremy to work on the farm or do you think Jeremy demanded that Nevillelet go one of his farmhands in order to allow Jeremy his own home?
I think Jeremy was a spoilt brat who got his money far too easily, and didn't want to be a farmer... simple as that.  Maybe his parents did succumb to his demands initially for somewhere else to live other than the farm as a sweetener.  A move for Sheila into his cottage could even be a reason for the argument that night, with Jeremy being turfed out, having to look for other accommodation. Seems odd that Nevill should have been in such a bad mood on the phone, when according to the family and Barbara Wilson he was normally a placid, easy-going person.  I doubt that he lost his temper with Sheila, but could easily do so with Jeremy.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Myster

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »
Myster, you give the impression that a "mere" farmworker has no entitlement to London jaunts, trips to Colchester, wind surfing activities, or any recreational activities not connected with his work at WHF. As to borrowing the bike, perhaps he thought to make life in Goldhanger so difficult for her that Julie would decide for herself that she wanted out.
Lowly farm workers are entitled to go wherever they please in their leisure time, but I don't suppose they got a free car and free petrol to get there, as JB did.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »
I think Jeremy was a spoilt brat who got his money far too easily, and didn't want to be a farmer... simple as that.  Maybe his parents did succumb to his demands initially for somewhere else to live other than the farm as a sweetener.  A move for Sheila into his cottage could even be a reason for the argument that night, with Jeremy being turfed out, having to look for other accommodation. Seems odd that Nevill should have been in such a bad mood on the phone, when according to the family and Barbara Wilson he was normally a placid, easy-going person.  I doubt that he lost his temper with Sheila, but could easily do so with Jeremy.

Yeh, I can go with most of what you say, Myster..................however, can Jeremy really be blamed for being a "spoilt brat"? He didn't want to be a farmer so they fed him sweeteners to coerce him and once they'd hooked him, possibly threatened to take it away and give it to his sister -for nothing!!! If that didn't piss him off, the guy was a saint, don't you think? I'm more than inclined to agree with Larkin on this one, as in, give 'em half a chance -ya mum and dad, that is, and they undoubtedly will!!!!! It's quite possible that Neville had reached the end of his tether with Sheila -AND felt guilty for it- that night, but as you say, it could equally well have been  Jeremy who caused it.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »
Lowly farm workers are entitled to go wherever they please in their leisure time, but I don't suppose they got a free car and free petrol to get there, as JB did.

Amazing what some sweeteners can do, isn't it. Sadly, all mine do is make coffee more palatable. Still, one can't have everything 8)-)))

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
Why would he bring a bike for Julie whether it was for part-cycling to work or for this airy-fairy picnic idea of yours, when the relationship was almost over and he wanted out?

You might not regard them as freebies, but I certainly do!  How did he get to London for night club jaunts, trips to Colchester or other places, for going wind-surfing - recreational activities nothing to do with work at WHF?

And why do you always reply to my answers with yet more questions?... at this rate we could be here as long as the McCannites!

If the relationship was almost over why would he take JM into his confidence and share his dark secrets with her?  He was probably happy for the relationship to rumble on until someone he deemed more suitable came along...enter Virginia Greaves.  He was probably fond of JM but for whatever reason(s) didn't see her as long-term.  Seems like that's the norm to me ie a relationship starts up and then it gets to the first anniversary and it either moves forward as both want the same things or it doesn't and it starts to drift apart. 

The car/fuel was domestic, pleasure and business as most company cars/fuel were back then.  It was tax advantageous for the employer and employee.  Not so now.

I've been told my childlike curiosity is endearing  8(*(

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »

JB wasn't a "lowly farm worker".  He was the owners' son:

"A month after the murders, the Witham surveyor George Nicholls had become so impressed with Jeremy’s efforts that he told the representatives of The Henry Smith Charity, trustees of the farm, that Jeremy was fit to assume the tenancy, despite his age and lack of practical know-how. Nicholls repeated in court a year later: ‘in the last year or so he was getting down to being a farmer…’ Farm labourer Leonard Foakes, who’d worked for the Bambers for a total of thirty-six years, also observed that in the year or two prior to the tragedy Jeremy had grown keen. ‘He settled down quite well,’ said Foakes."

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Caroline

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »

I totally agree Myster! I think the fact that he didn't bring home the last trailer points to a bit of a hissy fit. He said he asked his dad to bring in the last load, however - Nevill couldn't have picked it up until after 10pm because Jeremy's statement puts him in the farmhouse until after 21:45. Would he really go out that late to finish off a job Jeremy was 'supposed' to do? And what was Jeremy doing when he said he returned to the field at around 08:30? He took the trailer up there, but said he didn't bring it back???? There are lots of holes in this part of his story.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »

Why?  Although I am sure allowances were made for SC's mental illness CP tells in her book how SC felt NB was disappointed in her in that she hadn't made more of her life.  I've made my views known on the fact that as far as I am concerned SC should have been removed from the Bambers' care permanently when June became seriously depressed as a result of adopting her.  This was never going to bode well for the future.

When you compare the two adopted siblings there's quite a contrast.  SC had apparently been expelled from two schools.  Although I don't think this was as serious as it sounds.  The first school in Sussex it was agreed by all concerned that it was best that SC left due to lack of progress.  The second school in Norfolk SC was expelled from on the last day of term for high jinx.  Its unclear what qualifications she obtained from school and secretarial college if any.  She then appears to have got a job as a hairdresser which she was sacked from.  Having then completed a modelling course, which June funded, there's no evidence that SC was assigned any modelling assignments apart from the assignment in Tokyo.  Other work included a shop assistant in a shoe shop, waitress, cleaner and glamour modelling but nothing long-term/permanent.  At the age of 17 she had an unplanned pregnancy with a farmhand which resulted in a termination.  She then had a further unplanned pregnancy with CC and another termination.  Her marriage to CC was short lived.  She had difficulty parenting her children and from time to time social services were involved.  Perhaps her fragile mental state was aggravated further by her use of recreational drugs.  Perhaps the final straw for NB was when SC decided she wanted to meet with her birth mother and in fact did so shortly before the tragedy.  JB said in his WS that NB and June told SC and JB a few years prior to the tragedy that if they wanted to meet with their birth parents they should contact the adoption agency but I understand that June was very upset that SC did.   

I have every sympathy for SC as I feel certain her mental illness and tragic life as above had its roots in her early life ie lots of abrupt changes in primary caregivers and June's mental illness circa 1959.  Coupled with perhaps not being a very good 'fit' with the Bambers as in goodness-of-fit theory  &%+((£

As far as I can see there's at least as much reason, if not more, for NB getting exasperated with SC compared with JB.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:18:24 PM by Holly Goodhead »