Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285871 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #465 on: January 21, 2019, 02:25:28 PM »
Lord Lilley could be seen as an expert on matters both political and economic. In his opinion there's no need to panic about leaving the EU without a deal.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1067595/brexit-news-no-deal-lord-lilley-wto-rules-30-truths-report

Hmm. This is the same Peter Lilley who thinks new negotiations can be settled in 10 minutes?
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/peter-lilley-interview-on-bbc-radio-4-today-programme-1-5786752

Thought so - he's one of the ERG lot
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/20/pms-defeatist-brexit-deal-based-on-lack-of-understanding

A lot of what he claims appears to be just plain wrong.
http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2018/08/24/demolishing-peter-lilley-s-wto-brexit-nonsense

Don't have time to read all of the article you posted today, but even his first "truth" is bizarre:

"Lord Lilley’s 30 truths on leaving the EU under WTO terms are:

1: It will allow the UK to cash in, not crash out - the UK will not have to pay the £39billion divorce bill."

lol
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:30:39 PM by Carana »

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #466 on: January 21, 2019, 05:09:25 PM »
And nor should we stump up £39 billion for the EU. Better spent on our own people and on repatriating illegal immigrants.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #467 on: January 21, 2019, 05:50:54 PM »
Of course there is no need to panic, the EU needs the UK more than we need them and history has proven this over the last century. If it wasn't for Britain and its allies the whole of Europe would be one huge Germanic state ruled by Nazis by now reaching from Norway to Turkey to Portugal and most probably half of Africa.  Anyone who cannot see that by now has really buried their head in the sand.
Jingo!  Jingo-bop!! 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #468 on: January 21, 2019, 05:56:59 PM »
If trading under WTO rules is going to be so amazingly marvellous and bring us all untold riches and benefits why are so many MPs against it, from Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn (allegedly) down?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #469 on: January 21, 2019, 06:00:55 PM »
What does Peter Lilley suggest we do about this aspect of WTO rules?

“One suggestion has been that the UK scrap all tariffs and regulations for EU imports and continue to accept all products from the EU without checks. But, according to the WTO rules, the UK should extend this approach to products from all other WTO members (it has to treat everyone equally). Is the UK ready to allow all food products, tariff-free and without checks into the UK market? Not only would this be very damaging to UK farmers and the food industry, it would threaten food quality and safety standards”.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #470 on: January 21, 2019, 06:17:30 PM »
Whatever some think, the latest poll says 'No Deal' is the preferred choice at the moment.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #471 on: January 21, 2019, 06:24:31 PM »
Whatever some think, the latest poll says 'No Deal' is the preferred choice at the moment.

I don’t really think it is, when you add up all the other options which don’t end in no deal.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #472 on: January 21, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »

The best argument against a second referendum is a 5 minute converation with teh average voter

Offline Carana

« Reply #473 on: January 21, 2019, 10:52:15 PM »
And nor should we stump up £39 billion for the EU. Better spent on our own people and on repatriating illegal immigrants.

That money happens to be what is owed for the current budget, projects that the UK has committed to, and MEPs pension funds.

Offline Carana

« Reply #474 on: January 21, 2019, 10:53:55 PM »
I don’t really think it is, when you add up all the other options which don’t end in no deal.

I read that a recent sky (?) poll, it turned out that 26% thought "no deal" meant the status quo, i.e. no Brexit. I haven't seen the results myself yet.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #475 on: January 21, 2019, 11:23:54 PM »
I read that a recent sky (?) poll, it turned out that 26% thought "no deal" meant the status quo, i.e. no Brexit. I haven't seen the results myself yet.
now that doesn’t surprise me.  I know it’s politically incorrect to say that a significant percentage of the population is ignorant and/or plain stupid but....

Offline Sunny

« Reply #476 on: January 22, 2019, 07:11:51 AM »

Intrigued.  I have never heard of that.  I did look on google and there is a mention to a Sky News twitter poll but the link was removed from the reddit site as "misleading".

If you can find it Carana I would be interested to read it. Thanks
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Carana

« Reply #477 on: January 22, 2019, 08:34:42 AM »
Intrigued.  I have never heard of that.  I did look on google and there is a mention to a Sky News twitter poll but the link was removed from the reddit site as "misleading".

If you can find it Carana I would be interested to read it. Thanks

I didn't have time to verify it yesterday. Just had a look, yes, it seems to have been taken down from Reddit as "misleading".

This might be the origin - a Sky Twitter poll, in which case not quite of Gallup reliability.
https://twitter.com/lunaperla/status/1087550822005772288

On the other hand, several people promoting 2nd ref in their towns have said that they hadn't anticipated that numerous people they chatted to thought it meant remain. I'll post any clips if I find them.

I do remember that this issue  came up some time before Xmas, as there were several threads at the time re how important it would be to make the wording crystal clear if ever there was a new one.

I therefor have no idea whether 26% is representative or not, but I wouldn't find it unreasonable that some people who haven't followed the saga would think that: you agree to buy a house, then disccover the foundations are wobbly, so decide to pull out of the deal, i.e. the deal (leaving) doesn't go through,  therefore the prior status quo remains.

Offline Carana

« Reply #478 on: January 22, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »
A Labour MP said that some voters (his constituents?) who he'd been in contact with were also under that impression.

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1087282999899635713

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #479 on: January 22, 2019, 09:17:02 AM »
Telling the voters that they're too old, too stupid or don't understand is a risky strategy in my opinion. Such people no doubt do exist and some of them voted to leave the EU and some of them voted to remain in it. Inferring that only those who voted to leave fit the description is insulting and untrue.

The electorate includes all kinds of people and every one of them is entitled to vote as they see fit.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0