Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285070 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #795 on: January 30, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »
A dreadful tax.
She who introduced it in Scotland first, will be long remembered .

She made me thankful for the House of Lords. I had three children at Secondary school and as it was over 3 miles away a free bus was provided. Her government decided to scrap that and make parents pay for the bus. It was quite a chunk for 3 children so I was grateful when the Lords refused to pass it. Probably because a lot of their employees would have been affected, but I was still grateful.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Erngath

« Reply #796 on: January 30, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »
She made me thankful for the House of Lords. I had three children at Secondary school and as it was over 3 miles away a free bus was provided. Her government decided to scrap that and make parents pay for the bus. It was quite a chunk for 3 children so I was grateful when the Lords refused to pass it. Probably because a lot of their employees would have been affected, but I was still grateful.

I don't remember that, probably because it didn't apply here or possibly because my three had a ten minute walk to school.
I only know that the lovely prayer of St. Francis has never had the same resonance since her usage of it.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #797 on: January 30, 2019, 08:45:19 PM »
Idon’t think it’s patronizing to say that some if not most people who voted in the referendum didn’t fully understand the ramifications of Brexit, details which are now much clearer.

People wanted to leave the EU...end off!!
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #798 on: January 30, 2019, 08:47:21 PM »
A problem is that, once people had experienced the poll tax and expressed their disagreement with it, it was scrapped and life went back to normal.

With Brexit, there won't be any going back. Not for a generation or more and not with the concessions that the UK has had so far.

JRM & co. insist that a no-deal is nothing to worry about, but still don't grasp that Article 24 won't apply, but which they seem to be counting on. And those who think the UK can simply walk away from their side of the divorce bill (the EU also has obligations to fulfill towards the UK) and retain any sort of credibility are dreaming. IMO.

And then there are those who advocate "technological" solutions to the Irish border, but are incapable of explaining what they might be and how they might work. From everything I've read so far, that may not be surprising as they don't exist

A VAT checking system already operates between N Ireland and the Republic of Ireland so no real problem in extending it.  The entire 'backstop' shenanigan is a false flag which suits Dublin as the UK leaving the EU will have serious consequences for Ireland.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Erngath

« Reply #799 on: January 30, 2019, 08:56:37 PM »

Have you any concerns about leaving the EU?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #800 on: January 30, 2019, 09:08:11 PM »
End off (sic) what?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #801 on: January 30, 2019, 09:23:25 PM »
Have you any concerns about leaving the EU?

None whatsoever.  No pain no gain they say.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Erngath

« Reply #802 on: January 30, 2019, 09:30:50 PM »
None whatsoever.  No pain no gain they say.

Must be great having no doubts.
What makes you feel so confident?
You seem to have an antipathy to anything European.?
Is that what gives you the self assuredness that the pain will be worthwhile?

Offline John

« Reply #803 on: January 30, 2019, 09:58:11 PM »
After the fiasco in Parliament last night I see a 'No Deal' Brexit as a distinct possibility now.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #804 on: January 30, 2019, 10:17:20 PM »
After the fiasco in Parliament last night I see a 'No Deal' Brexit as a distinct possibility now.

Some say they are playing into May's hands. She has just gained more time to mess around while a no-deal exit gets closer all the time.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #805 on: January 30, 2019, 10:26:32 PM »
Some say they are playing into May's hands. She has just gained more time to mess around while a no-deal exit gets closer all the time.

Yes, possibly that is what is most desired by Brexiteers.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #806 on: January 31, 2019, 08:01:45 AM »
Yes, possibly that is what is most desired by Brexiteers.

Those who want to leave with a deal need to accept the deal on the table now. The UK have never been in harmony with the EU and I expect they're sick of us.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #807 on: January 31, 2019, 08:16:45 AM »

De Galle was right.  Britain should never have joined.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #808 on: January 31, 2019, 08:17:00 AM »
Those who want to leave with a deal need to accept the deal on the table now. The UK have never been in harmony with the EU and I expect they're sick of us.
What about those who want to leave with no deal?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #809 on: January 31, 2019, 08:40:58 AM »

Perhaps England and.Wales "have never been in harmony with the EU" but that does not apply to Scotland.and Northern Ireland.
Hence, why the majority in both those countries voted to remain.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:59:09 AM by Erngath »