Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285053 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #840 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:05 PM »
The Uk still import NZ lamb. however, we have a lot of sheep here in Scotland. Those who reside in Skye have a special kind of sheep.  On the mainland the sheep walk along the side of the road and watch for traffic- on skye they just bloody walk right in front of you. I named them the kamakaze sheep!

I was puzzled in the Hebrides by the sheep going where they liked despite being able to see a lot of fencing. Someone said the fences were erected because they were a condition of getting some grant or other. The cattle wandered too. Some days the children came home from school at a very high speed when the local 'tup' was out and about.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #841 on: January 31, 2019, 07:59:52 PM »
I've been reading that some folk are stockpiling certain food items incase there is a no-deal Brexit.
Having taken delivery of a grocery order this afternoon, I decided to pay attention to where the items originated.
It is sometimes difficult to know as some are labelled packed in the UK but may not be sourced here.
So far the potatoes, carrots, beef, lamb, haddock,cream, butter and fresh beef burgers originate in Scotland.
The cheese is labelled British.
Cucumber from Morocco, sweetheart cabbage  from Spain,  and lager from Italy.
So no need to stockpile any of those except the cabbage and lager.lol.

Fresh fruit  and veg might be a problem until late spring, but then people have got spoilt with a wide array to choose from.

If the grocery retailers are expressing concern, it may not be just about that, but general household stuff. I'm not sure what is totally produced in the UK.

Offline Carana

« Reply #842 on: January 31, 2019, 08:29:16 PM »
The people of scotland whom you claim to speak on behalf  of have never voted to remain in the EU. Due to the fact that Scotland as part of the UK voted to leave. Now you can huff and puff about it but this is the facts:

1 Scottish people was offered Independance from the UK (not just England) they voted NO
2.  The UK with  a legal mandate to include Scotland in national descisions voted Leave the EU

SNP with some of their 2nd 3rd generation Irish voters want to ignore the majority. 

However, at the time, no one had heard of Brexit.

Would the indyref have been the same if Scotland had known that remaining in  the UK meant that it was going to leave the EU?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #843 on: January 31, 2019, 08:46:41 PM »
Fresh fruit  and veg might be a problem until late spring, but then people have got spoilt with a wide array to choose from.

If the grocery retailers are expressing concern, it may not be just about that, but general household stuff. I'm not sure what is totally produced in the UK.
]
About one fifth (19%) of the fruit and veg we import comes from Spain and one tenth from the Netherlands (11%)
Some of that will still get through, I expect, although we will probably pay more as Brexit's a good excuse to raise prices.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #844 on: January 31, 2019, 09:04:41 PM »
]
About one fifth (19%) of the fruit and veg we import comes from Spain and one tenth from the Netherlands (11%)
Some of that will still get through, I expect, although we will probably pay more as Brexit's a good excuse to raise prices.

Not just that it's an excuse, in a no-deal scenario it will cost the the supply chain more, plus a potential further downfall in the £.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #845 on: January 31, 2019, 11:15:04 PM »

Would the indyref have been the same if Scotland had known that remaining in  the UK meant that it was going to leave the EU?

But Scotland would have to leave the EU if it voted for independence.  I remember it very clearly with the EU spokesman saying that Scotland would have to apply to join as a seperete country.

Don't you Carana?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9899322/Independent-Scotland-would-have-to-apply-from-scratch-to-join-EU.html
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Carana

« Reply #846 on: January 31, 2019, 11:32:46 PM »
But Scotland would have to leave the EU if it voted for independence.  I remember it very clearly with the EU spokesman saying that Scotland would have to apply to join as a seperete country.

Don't you Carana?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9899322/Independent-Scotland-would-have-to-apply-from-scratch-to-join-EU.html

I remembered having read that (or a similar article) after I'd posted. :) Thanks for the article. Interesting to read it again.

Yes, it makes sense that it would have to go through the whole process.

Another thought is how would a border between Scotland and whatever else is left of the UK work?

Offline Carana

« Reply #847 on: January 31, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
Oh dear. Raab (who admitted that he hadn't realised how important the Dover-Calais trading route was) has now admitted he hasn't read all of the 35-page Good Friday Agreement.

https://twitter.com/OxfordDiplomat/status/1090918652101226496

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #848 on: February 01, 2019, 12:04:55 AM »
]
All the main supermarket chains do their damnedest to keep food prices low in case you hadn’t noticed- I doubt they will relish supply problems, tariffs and increased costs to themselves or their customers.  Still at least it’s only fruit and veg, not real food like chips and beans.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Sunny

« Reply #849 on: February 01, 2019, 07:21:58 AM »
All the main supermarket chains do their damnedest to keep food prices low in case you hadn’t noticed- I doubt they will relish supply problems, tariffs and increased costs to themselves or their customers.  Still at least it’s only fruit and veg, not real food like chips and beans.

Supermarkets do this by screwing the prices from farmers and other suppliers down as and when they wish to.

By the way perhaps we could all eat the food that goes to waste instead of importing some from the EU.

This is a crying shame IMO

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/fruit-vegetables-food-waste-farms-uk-birmingham-manchester-feedback-a8220171.html
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #850 on: February 01, 2019, 08:49:55 AM »
Not just that it's an excuse, in a no-deal scenario it will cost the the supply chain more, plus a potential further downfall in the £.

I can't imagine the supermarkets seperating the EU and British fruit and veg and selling them at different prices. I can imagine them raising all the prices to recoup any extra costs they have to pay. .
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #851 on: February 01, 2019, 09:20:30 AM »

Do they? Is that why Aldi and Liddl are causing them such problems? Our local Aldi had barely any cars in it's car park when I began shopping there. Within a year there were queues to park and the place was full of ex Sainsbury shoppers.

It seems to have excaped your notice that chips and beans are vegetables. A third of our daily diet should be made up of carbohydrates which includes potatoes. They supply fibre, Vitamin C, potassium, Vitamin B6 and iron. Baked beans count as one of the 5 a day.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #852 on: February 01, 2019, 12:47:13 PM »

I do not know one person who knows their EU MP. I know a great many people.

However IF it is any consolation to your cause, be assured that the Scottish people have not been marching with claymores to downing street demanding independance from England- quite the contrary  they voted to stay.

Now within that context the agreement was with regards to UK matters the descision would be put to UK voters, which it was. Again- I see no surge of English hatred, apart from some quarters, marching to downing street with claymore in hand or even a mandate  demanding remain in EU and leave UK.

Now can we please have a realistic arguement as to how  Scotland circumnavigates English air space and waters to get to the EU parliament and buy/sell  goods.

Carana?   

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #853 on: February 01, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »
I do not know one person who knows their EU MP. I know a great many people.

However IF it is any consolation to your cause, be assured that the Scottish people have not been marching with claymores to downing street demanding independance from England- quite the contrary  they voted to stay.

Now within that context the agreement was with regards to UK matters the descision would be put to UK voters, which it was. Again- I see no surge of English hatred, apart from some quarters, marching to downing street with claymore in hand or even a mandate  demanding remain in EU and leave UK.

Now can we please have a realistic arguement as to how  Scotland circumnavigates English air space and waters to get to the EU parliament and buy/sell  goods.

Carana?

Scotland has quite a few ports, including Grangemouth.
https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/brexit-poses-significant-questions-for-scotland-s-ports-1-4693642

It also has quite a few aiports.

I'm not advocating one way or the other re Scotland and independence. I think it would be complicated in reality, and I have yet to note a single advantage of Brexit.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #854 on: February 01, 2019, 02:52:23 PM »
Do they? Is that why Aldi and Liddl are causing them such problems? Our local Aldi had barely any cars in it's car park when I began shopping there. Within a year there were queues to park and the place was full of ex Sainsbury shoppers.

It seems to have excaped your notice that chips and beans are vegetables. A third of our daily diet should be made up of carbohydrates which includes potatoes. They supply fibre, Vitamin C, potassium, Vitamin B6 and iron. Baked beans count as one of the 5 a day.
Of course fried potato chips and baked beans packed with salt and sugar are health foods, akin to fresh fruit and veg, silly me.  Wishing German companies Aldi and Lidl all the best post-Brexit in keeping their prices low, and yes they are good examples of exactly what I meant.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly