Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285069 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #885 on: February 03, 2019, 10:17:07 AM »
Farage came across to many as an honest man. In my opinion Cameron's referendum was supposed to defeat what he was advocating and shut him up. It didn't work

Hitler probably did to his fans as well.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #886 on: February 03, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »
I expect most of us have seen the numerous anti-EU tabloid headlines over the years (or rather decades), with wild stories such as BoJo's bendy banana myth (I created a thread with a list of many of them).

IMO, it's dangerous to underestimate how this propaganda can subliminally influence people over time.

I also expect quite a few people also believe that those in authority actually know what they're talking about. I certainly used to.

I don't know how many of you are Derren Brown fans, but here's an example of how he is able to subliminally manipulate people. There are others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WSmjLMVa5I

The media have long argued that they reflect the views of the public rather than shaping them.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #887 on: February 03, 2019, 10:25:16 AM »
The media have long argued that they reflect the views of the public rather than shaping them.

To an extent, that's also true and it creates a vicious circle. However, the slant on stories in the Express and the Daily Mail in particular are blatantly xenophobic (IMO) and appear to be heavily influenced by their owners / editors.

The DM has sobered up a little since Dacre left.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #888 on: February 03, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »
To an extent, that's also true and it creates a vicious circle. However, the slant on stories in the Express and the Daily Mail in particular are blatantly xenophobic (IMO) and appear to be heavily influenced by their owners / editors.

The DM has sobered up a little since Dacre left.

I'm pleased you recognise that xenophobia which was so prevelant in the McCann case also. Although some agreed with them many didn't, so it's clear they don't always reflect or shape public opinion. Neither do they inform, so the question arises as to what they're for. The public seem to be getting their news and information elsewhere and the newspapers have only themselves to blame imo.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #889 on: February 03, 2019, 11:51:34 AM »
I'm pleased you recognise that xenophobia which was so prevelant in the McCann case also. Although some agreed with them many didn't, so it's clear they don't always reflect or shape public opinion. Neither do they inform, so the question arises as to what they're for. The public seem to be getting their news and information elsewhere and the newspapers have only themselves to blame imo.

I have always been against xenophobia in the media, whatever the topic of discussion.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #890 on: February 03, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »
I have always been against xenophobia in the media, whatever the topic of discussion.

I would  think most of us are against xenophobia wherever it arises

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #891 on: February 03, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »

Information fron the internet us potentially more unreliable than the media

Offline Carana

« Reply #892 on: February 03, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »
I would  think most of us are against xenophobia wherever it arises

For any individual who suffers from a phobia of any kind, I can empathise.

I object when xenophobia (or any other) is used as a political means to influence public opinion.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #893 on: February 03, 2019, 12:24:09 PM »
For any individual who suffers from a phobia of any kind, I can empathise.

I object when xenophobia (or any other) is used as a political means to influence public opinion.

Depends what you mean. By a phobia... And by xenophobia... I'm sure you have no sympathy for those who are homophobic

Offline Carana

« Reply #894 on: February 03, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
Information fron the internet us potentially more unreliable than the media

It depends what you mean by the "Internet".

I access mainstream media via the Internet.

If you mean "social media"... I'm happy to listen to / read all kinds of views, at least for a while, but I also try to fact check as to who I find reliable or not. I do the same for the MSM.

Offline Carana

« Reply #895 on: February 03, 2019, 12:34:56 PM »
Depends what you mean. By a phobia... And by xenophobia... I'm sure you have no sympathy for those who are homophobic

As I'm not homophobic, I can't sympathise, just empathise, as I would with anyone suffering from a neurotic condition. I once had a friend who had a phobia about flowers.

That said, I am firmly against any form of media that encourages a collective phobia, whether xeno- or homophobia or anything else.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #896 on: February 03, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »
It depends what you mean by the "Internet".

I access mainstream media via the Internet.

If you mean "social media"... I'm happy to listen to / read all kinds of views, at least for a while, but I also try to fact check as to who I find reliable or not. I do the same for the MSM.

I mean the internet as a whole... People claiming to be serious researchers... Presenting lies as facts.... I don't just refer to the McCann case but the internet as a whole.  It's important to be critical about much of what is presented as fact

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #897 on: February 03, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »
As I'm not homophobic, I can't sympathise, just empathise, as I would with anyone suffering from a neurotic condition. I once had a friend who had a phobia about flowers.

That said, I am firmly against any form of media that encourages a collective phobia, whether xeno- or homophobia or anything else.

As I said it depends what is meant by xenophobia.... And homophobia..... In the context used in these posts neither have anything to do with a neurotic conditon

Offline Carana

« Reply #898 on: February 03, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
As I said it depends what is meant by xenophobia.... And homophobia..... In the context used in these posts neither have anything to do with a neurotic conditon

I think we agree.

My objection concerns the media (MSM or SM) whipping up a collective anti-whatever sentiment of outrage for their own pollitical and /or financial gain.

Offline Carana

« Reply #899 on: February 03, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »
I mean the internet as a whole... People claiming to be serious researchers... Presenting lies as facts.... I don't just refer to the McCann case but the internet as a whole.  It's important to be critical about much of what is presented as fact

I agree. No problem with that.