Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285890 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #915 on: February 05, 2019, 10:13:56 AM »
It doesn't matter in this case either. All they need to do is accept the result of the referendum. Refusing to obey the party whips may hamper their promotion prospects. Refusing to obey the result of the people's democratic vote may lose them their jobs.

depends how their constituents voted   ...or didnt vote....I think most of the electorate wont take a lot of notice

Offline Carana

« Reply #916 on: February 05, 2019, 10:22:53 AM »

David Allen Green
‏ @davidallengreen

David Allen Green Retweeted Marcus Fysh MP

This MP is now on the Alternative Arrangements Working Group.

Seriously.

Marcus Fysh MP
Verified account @MarcusFysh
Replying to @SamuelMarcLowe
Ya da ya da gravity ya da ya da meaningless graphs, supposition and cod economics ya da ya da ya
10:21 PM - 4 Feb 2019

Offline Sunny

« Reply #917 on: February 05, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »
Hitler probably did to his fans as well.

I find that a most objectionable comment and I am surprised at you Carana. I am also surprised that a mod hasn't removed it.

I am not a fan of Nigel Farage but to compare him with Hitler is beneath contempt IMO.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Carana

« Reply #918 on: February 05, 2019, 01:39:42 PM »
I find that a most objectionable comment and I am surprised at you Carana. I am also surprised that a mod hasn't removed it.

I am not a fan of Nigel Farage but to compare him with Hitler is beneath contempt IMO.

I wasn't comparing him to Hitler in the sense of what he later went on to do. I was referring to how some people seem to automatically command respect for some strange reason. The gift of the gab.

I accept that my point may not have come across clearly. 

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:43:12 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #919 on: February 05, 2019, 01:45:53 PM »
depends how their constituents voted   ...or didnt vote....I think most of the electorate wont take a lot of notice

Brexit fatigue has quite probably set in for many who may not be personally or professionally affected by it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:53:49 PM by Carana »

Offline John

« Reply #920 on: February 05, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »
One has to decide, should we buy plentiful relatively cheap lamb from Australia and New Zealand after Brexit or pay more for the homegrown variety?  The reality of it is that more people will be able to have lamb on their table more often so is that necessarily a bad thing?  UK farmers must learn to produce good quality food at a reasonable price and not depend on subsidies amounting to around £100 per acre per annum for land which in many cases is left unploughed or ungrazed.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

« Reply #921 on: February 05, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »
One has to decide, should we buy plentiful relatively cheap lamb from Australia and New Zealand after Brexit or pay more for the homegrown variety?  The reality of it is that more people will be able to have lamb on their table more often so is that necessarily a bad thing?  UK farmers must learn to produce good quality food at a reasonable price and not depend on subsidies amounting to around £100 per acre per annum for land which in many cases is left unploughed or ungrazed.

Ah, ok, over here. LOL

I'm still hunting for links.

Not the one I was thinking of, but anyway...
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/nfu-president-minette-batters-no-deal-brexit-sophy-ridge-on-sunday-february-3-2019-1-5877427

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/brexit-leaving-without-deal-would-be-a-disaster-says-farmers-union-37730538.html

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/brexit-leaving-without-deal-would-be-a-disaster-says-farmers-union-37730538.html

I still haven't found what I'm looking for, but there are a few points in the articles that I find salient.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:12:42 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #922 on: February 05, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »
Sorry, John, I can't find what I was looking for just now.

Going from memory, I'm just trying to remember the questions it raised for me.

Yes, unless in dire financial straits, and if given a choice, I support local produce (in whichever country I happen to be). Partly because I respect that the work is hard, many face problems due to cheaper imports, and also to reduce my "carbon footprint".

That's just a point, not a question.

Offline Carana

« Reply #923 on: February 05, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »
The article I was looking for concerned the fact that many UK farmers export sheep meat, and the impact it would have on them.

While I'm trying to remember what I wanted to ask you, a few other questions, in no particular order.

- Do you currently receive a subsidy? If so, how will you manage if that disappears?

- Do you export or is your farm for national consumption?

Offline Carana

« Reply #924 on: February 05, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »
The reality of it is that more people will be able to have lamb on their table more often so is that necessarily a bad thing? 

I don't get your point there. Why would your lamb be cheaper than cheaper imports if the UK, in all its current wisdom, decides to unilaterally abandon import tariffs? Or, conversely, why would a higher price mean that more people in the UK will have lamb on the table more often? The farmers who export would face a massive tariff on sheep meat. What will happen to them?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:41:47 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #925 on: February 05, 2019, 02:45:56 PM »
As predicted, Tory MP's heading off to the four corners of the world to do trade deals...Wonderful stuff!!

Well played Theresa   8@??)(   Onwards and upwards!!

I mistakenly clicked on the first page of this thread, which dates from 2016...

Offline Sunny

« Reply #926 on: February 05, 2019, 03:51:12 PM »
I don't get your point there. Why would your lamb be cheaper than cheaper imports if the UK, in all its current wisdom, decides to unilaterally abandon import tariffs? Or, conversely, why would a higher price mean that more people in the UK will have lamb on the table more often? The farmers who export would face a massive tariff on sheep meat. What will happen to them?

The question surely must be WHY are we importing lamb from Ireland and exporting our own?

The best case would be to use our own home grown lambs rather than going to all this extra cost and mileage.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Offline Carana

« Reply #927 on: February 05, 2019, 04:09:11 PM »
The question surely must be WHY are we importing lamb from Ireland and exporting our own?

The best case would be to use our own home grown lambs rather than going to all this extra cost and mileage.

I'm not a lamb farmer, so I can't answer your question.

I'm still trying to find the link I'm thinking of.

I'm not in the fishing industry, either, but I discovered that the vast majority of fish caught by the UK is exported and the vast majority of fish (eg the fish in fish'n'chips) is imported. The reason is apparently that the species of fish that different cultures prefer are no longer within the traditional catchment areas, hence the swap.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #928 on: February 05, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
I'm not a lamb farmer, so I can't answer your question.

I'm still trying to find the link I'm thinking of.

I'm not in the fishing industry, either, but I discovered that the vast majority of fish caught by the UK is exported and the vast majority of fish (eg the fish in fish'n'chips) is imported. The reason is apparently that the species of fish that different cultures prefer are no longer within the traditional catchment areas, hence the swap.

That makes sense but not with lamb.  Sheep are sheep after all. And I am not a sheep farmer either.

It looks like we import around 90% of our cod because of stocks being low.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/19/sustainable-british-cod-on-the-menu-after-stocks-recover

When these stocks rise then I imagine we will catch our own cod.

Offline Carana

« Reply #929 on: February 05, 2019, 04:15:47 PM »
That makes sense but not with lamb.  Sheep are sheep after all. And I am not a sheep farmer either.

It looks like we import around 90% of our cod because of stocks being low.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/19/sustainable-british-cod-on-the-menu-after-stocks-recover

When these stocks rise then I imagine we will catch our own cod.

Just on the fishing issue: http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=7383.msg504177#msg504177