Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285069 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #1770 on: May 27, 2019, 09:26:37 AM »
In my opinion there's a significant difference between the gains by the Brexit Party and those by the Lib Dems and the Greens. A vote for the Brexit Party is a vote to leave the EU and nothing else because it stood on just one issue. The other parties votes weren't necessarily votes to remain in the EU, they may have been prompted by other issues.

The two main parties have been punished for their failure to listen to the Electorate and they now have to decide what to do about Farage's threat. If the UK doesn't leave the EU on October 31st the Brexit Party will fight a General Election.
I very much doubt that a single person who wants a no deal Brexit voted for the Lib Dems or the Greens.  I would take these results as very much a rejection of a no deal Brexit by the people of the UK.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1771 on: May 27, 2019, 09:27:36 AM »
Here the overwhelming vote was for the SNP whose main election campaigning was to remain!
Further evidence of the deep division between the wishes of the Scottish electorate and those of England and Wales.IMO
Interesting times ahead.
Wales too has turned from a Brexit supporting to a Remain supporting country.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1772 on: May 27, 2019, 09:37:21 AM »
Wales too has turned from a Brexit supporting to a Remain supporting country.

Sorry I  didn't realise that!
Will have a look.

We have been a consistently remain supporting country !
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:42:46 AM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1773 on: May 27, 2019, 10:13:14 AM »
Sorry I  didn't realise that!
Will have a look.

We have been a consistently remain supporting country !
Brexit won the most seats in Wales but when you combine PC, Greens, Lib Dems etc, the Remain vote was much higher.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1774 on: May 27, 2019, 10:15:36 AM »
What the results do show is that the public isn’t interested in compromise and fudge.  It boils down to Remain or No deal.  Time for a second referendum methinks, though it pains me to say it.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1775 on: May 27, 2019, 10:32:51 AM »
Here the overwhelming vote was for the SNP whose main election campaigning was to remain!
Further evidence of the deep division between the wishes of the Scottish electorate and those of England and Wales.IMO
Interesting times ahead.

Nothng much has changed since the Referendum it seems to me. England and Wales want to leave the EU, Scotland (and probably N. Ireland) don't. I can understand the frustration, but membership of the EU is a UK matter, not a regional matter. That's why the Referendum was a UK matter and so was the result. I think Scotland is in a similar position to Catalonia perhaps, where a region has diferent wants than the whole.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1776 on: May 27, 2019, 10:49:14 AM »
What the results do show is that the public isn’t interested in compromise and fudge.  It boils down to Remain or No deal.  Time for a second referendum methinks, though it pains me to say it.

IThe UK voted to leave the EU in a democratic Referendum. It's politicians used every excuse they could think of to deny the people what they voted for. A second referendum is clearly intended to overturn the first result. The message the people will get is that democracy counts for nothing in the opinion of our politicians, and will only be honoured if they like the results.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1777 on: May 27, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
IThe UK voted to leave the EU in a democratic Referendum. It's politicians used every excuse they could think of to deny the people what they voted for. A second referendum is clearly intended to overturn the first result. The message the people will get is that democracy counts for nothing in the opinion of our politicians, and will only be honoured if they like the results.
These results show overwhelmingly  that the people of Britain do not support a no deal Brexit yet you believe this is what they deserve.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1778 on: May 27, 2019, 11:28:08 AM »
Nothng much has changed since the Referendum it seems to me. England and Wales want to leave the EU, Scotland (and probably N. Ireland) don't. I can understand the frustration, but membership of the EU is a UK matter, not a regional matter. That's why the Referendum was a UK matter and so was the result. I think Scotland is in a similar position to Catalonia perhaps, where a region has diferent wants than the whole.

Scotland is not a region of the UK.
It is one of the four countries of the UK.
It's this sense of being controlled by a government which is not elected by us which is driving the voice for Independence.
No matter what we as a nation vote for, we will always have the government which England votes for.
Yes you are correct to describe it as frustration!
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1779 on: May 27, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »
These results show overwhelmingly  that the people of Britain do not support a no deal Brexit yet you believe this is what they deserve.

I'm sorry, but I think you are as deeply in denial as our politicians are. The Brexit Party won on that issue.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1780 on: May 27, 2019, 12:58:23 PM »
I'm sorry, but I think you are as deeply in denial as our politicians are. The Brexit Party won on that issue.
Can you explain how Brexit Party's  35% share of the vote = a mandate by the people of the UK for a No Deal Brexit? 

Offline Carana

« Reply #1781 on: May 27, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
No worries guys, Anne Widdecombe to the rescue.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1132895182247084037

I thought this was a comedy sketch at first...

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1782 on: May 27, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »
Scotland is not a region of the UK.
It is one of the four countries of the UK.
It's this sense of being controlled by a government which is not elected by us which is driving the voice for Independence.
No matter what we as a nation vote for, we will always have the government which England votes for.
Yes you are correct to describe it as frustration!

Scotland seems to want to have it's cake and eat it. They don't want tp be inderpendant and they don't want to accept a majority UK vote.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1783 on: May 27, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
No worries guys, Anne Widdecombe to the rescue.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1132895182247084037

I thought this was a comedy sketch at first...
Drunk on victory methinks.   @)(++(*

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1784 on: May 27, 2019, 01:17:27 PM »

Scotland seems to want to have it's cake and eat it. They don't want tp be inderpendant and they don't want to accept a majority UK vote.
What did the majority of the UK vote for in the EU elections held last week?