Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285871 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #1785 on: May 27, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »
Can you explain how Brexit Party's  35% share of the vote = a mandate by the people of the UK for a No Deal Brexit?

Voting percentages mean nothing in our system. If they did many of our elected governments had no mandate. The Brexit Party won in most of the regions of the UK and that's their mandate.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1786 on: May 27, 2019, 01:21:35 PM »

Scotland seems to want to have it's cake and eat it. They don't want tp be inderpendant and they don't want to accept a majority UK vote.

I think that some who did not vote for independence because that would have meant being outside the EU, would now vote for Independence.
Also in my opinion many are sickened by Westminster and there does seem to be a growing number of young voters who favour Independence.

Those you describe above are not the whole of Scotland voters.
These are folk who do not want Independence and are quite content with whatever the UK majority decide.
Hardly the entire nation of Scotland !
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1787 on: May 27, 2019, 01:23:57 PM »
Voting percentages mean nothing in our system. If they did many of our elected governments had no mandate. The Brexit Party won in most of the regions of the UK and that's their mandate.

Surely you mean the Brexit Party won in most of the regions of England.
The SNP won every constituency of Scotland as far as I know. ( One still to declare)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 01:34:50 PM by Erngath »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1788 on: May 27, 2019, 01:52:00 PM »

I think that some who did not vote for independence because that would have meant being outside the EU, would now vote for Independence.
Also in my opinion many are sickened by Westminster and there does seem to be a growing number of young voters who favour Independence.

These are folk who do not want Independence and are quite content with whatever the UK majority decide.

They may not be the entire nation of Scotland but they were the majority in the Independence vote. They're not the only people in the UK to be sick of Westminster either, judging by the votes in the EU elections. Being sick of Westminster isn't the same as wanting to exit the UK.

Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1789 on: May 27, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
Surely you mean the Brexit Party won in most of the regions of England.
The SNP won every constituency of Scotland as far as I know. ( One still to declare)

Much as you want to see Scotland as independent, they're not. When it comes to voting in UK elections they have to abide by the majority verdict.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1790 on: May 27, 2019, 02:02:23 PM »
Much as you want to see Scotland as independent, they're not. When it comes to voting in UK elections they have to abide by the majority verdict.

Yes I know and appreciate that fact, as do many of my fellow Scots.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1791 on: May 27, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »
Their mandate is to sit in an EU parliament (which they are 100% against) if we haven't already left the EU by the 31st October.  That's all.  It may be "our system" to disregard the percentages but I think only a fool would turn a blind eye to the message this election sends out - the people do not want a no deal Brexit.  It's as clear as day. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1792 on: May 27, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »
They may not be the entire nation of Scotland but they were the majority in the Independence vote. They're not the only people in the UK to be sick of Westminster either, judging by the votes in the EU elections. Being sick of Westminster isn't the same as wanting to exit the UK.

It is !
Most folk who voted Brexit were sick of the EU and wanted to exit!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1793 on: May 27, 2019, 02:38:20 PM »
A comment I agree with in the Times today

"Even if you assume that the overwhelming majority of Conservative votes were pro-Brexit and 2/3 of Labour votes were pro-Remain, with other voters aligned with their respective party policies, the UK has decisively changed its mind on leaving the EU.  We would now vote roughly 53/47 in favour of remaining a full member. So why bother agonising over the various unappealing 'leave' options? A 2nd referendum will decide it.  And if I'm wrong and we still vote to leave, at least it will help to heal the rift in society".

I vote we abandon any further negotiation with the EU, and instead there should be a second referendum to take place on October 1st - Exit on WTO Rules or Remain.  The result should be legally binding so that if Leave wins then we leave on 31st October, and nothing can be done to stop it happening.  If we vote Remain, then there should be a legally binding re-referendum five years hence.  That's what I'd do anyway...  8(>((
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1794 on: May 27, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
It is !
Most folk who voted Brexit were sick of the EU and wanted to exit!

That isn't the same at all. One lot voted to leave an institution they were sick of, the others voted to remain in an institution they are allegedly sick of.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1795 on: May 27, 2019, 04:28:00 PM »
That isn't the same at all. One lot voted to leave an institution they were sick of, the others voted to remain in an institution they are allegedly sick of.

You will have to explain the two lots.
Which lot is which?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1796 on: May 27, 2019, 11:08:53 PM »

I disagree the scottish majority of people who voted did not want independance. move on
The majority  of Scottish people did not vote  to stay in the EU move on.
Making wild claims does not change anything.

One has to ask these young people who want independance from the Uk because they are fed up with Westminster (who isn't these days!) ruling over them-  why the hell stay in a dictatorship ruled by a president un elected people who do not share our culture and language tell us how to run our economy- where is the evidence Scotland will flourish away from Englasn and within the UK.

You need to look at the borders between the Scotland and England to get to the  the EU.. the land the sea, the airspace...
Its not like England would let us traipse through their country using their roads and stuff.. I see the HADRIANS WALL being built higher...
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1797 on: May 27, 2019, 11:44:26 PM »
I disagree the scottish majority of people who voted did not want independance. move on
The majority  of Scottish people did not vote  to stay in the EU move on.
Making wild claims does not change anything.

One has to ask these young people who want independance from the Uk because they are fed up with Westminster (who isn't these days!) ruling over them-  why the hell stay in a dictatorship ruled by a president un elected people who do not share our culture and language tell us how to run our economy- where is the evidence Scotland will flourish away from Englasn and within the UK.

You need to look at the borders between the Scotland and England to get to the  the EU.. the land the sea, the airspace...
Its not like England would let us traipse through their country using their roads and stuff.. I see the HADRIANS WALL being built higher...

What utter rubbish! IMO.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1798 on: May 28, 2019, 08:48:45 AM »
What utter rubbish! IMO.

Why is it rubbish? It's true that the Scottish peopke voted to remain in the UK. Having done that they must accept and abide by majority decisions made in the UK in my opinion. .
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1799 on: May 28, 2019, 08:54:29 AM »
Why is it rubbish? It's true that the Scottish peopke voted to remain in the UK. Having done that they must accept and abide by majority decisions made in the UK in my opinion. .

Is that your interpretation and understanding of the entirety of Mistakens post?