Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 285048 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #2175 on: January 04, 2020, 12:13:54 AM »
Let’s hope that you don’t suffer in France any of the abhorrent xenophobic behaviour that many of my Eastern European friends have had to endure here in the U.K after we leave.

This is not possible.  I have been here for too long.  Part of the fixtures now.  And besides, The Breton People are inherently kind.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2176 on: January 04, 2020, 12:18:31 AM »
This is not possible.  I have been here for too long.  Part of the fixtures now.  And besides, The Breton People are inherently kind.

Glad to hear it.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #2177 on: January 04, 2020, 12:37:14 AM »
I can only comment on the conversations I have had with my friends as I said but I absolutely agree that Labour has lost their historical support in Scotland and tbh without that support it will be hard for the party to regain power in the whole of the U.K. I’d would be interested to know if your husband and his family voted Labour in the last election and if not why not ?

Some of his family would never ever vote for anything other than Labour and I presume they did because to vote Tory would be an anathema to them but others chose to vote SNP.
My two brothers in-law who were both die hard labour voters voted SNP.
And sorry but Jeremy was a vote loser here.
I actually do believe that if the Scottish Labour party did break the ties with the UK Labour party they would fare much better.
How many labour members of Holyrood  are there?
Does that not  negate your answer that Labour has lost their historical vote n Scotland?
I believe many labour supporters voted SNP because they want an independent Scotland.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 12:42:02 AM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2178 on: January 04, 2020, 12:54:50 AM »
Some of his family would never ever vote for anything other than Labour and I presume they did because to vote Tory would be an anathema to them but others chose to vote SNP.
My two brothers in-law who were both die hard labour voters voted SNP.
And sorry but Jeremy was a vote loser here.
I actually do believe that if the Scottish Labour party did break the ties with the UK Labour party they would fare much better.
How many labour members of Holyrood  are there?
Does that not  negate your answer that Labour has lost their historical vote n Scotland?

Miliband lost 40 seats in the 2015 election leaving him with 1 Scottish Labour seat. Corbyn in 2017 gained 6 seats so it appears Corbyn wasn’t the vote loser you suggest.

Not sure what you mean by your last point ? Labour was historically strong in Scotland and that support has been lost...the reasons why are more complex than simply the wrong choice of leader, as the 2015 and 2017 election has shown.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Erngath

« Reply #2179 on: January 04, 2020, 01:00:29 AM »
Miliband lost 40 seats in the 2015 election leaving him with 1 Scottish Labour seat. Corbyn in 2017 gained 6 seats so it appears Corbyn wasn’t the vote loser you suggest.

Not sure what you mean by your last point ? Labour was historically strong in Scotland and that support has been lost...the reasons why are more complex than simply the wrong choice of leader, as the 2015 and 2017 election has shown.

We agree that support for the Labour party has been lost in Scotland when it is a Westminster General Election but not in a Holyrood election.
Why has it not lost support in Holyrood?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2180 on: January 04, 2020, 01:01:42 AM »
Europe is fine for Europe.  They need each other.  I won't go into Germany.  My thoughts on that subject aren't rational.

Brits are not able to be European.  They simply don't understand a collective brain, and no good reason for why they should.  You have to live here to understand.   They were beaten roundly because they didn't see it coming.

Many Breton families where I live suffered greatly.  The War Memorials are devastating.  They were brave people no matter what Britain thinks.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2181 on: January 04, 2020, 01:14:20 AM »
We agree that support for the Labour party has been lost in Scotland when it is a Westminster General Election but not in a Holyrood election.
Why has it not lost support in Holyrood?

Again you would have to ask the voters but several factors may be at play including the number of seats contested, 129 to Westminster’s 59 and in the Scottish elections 16-17s were allowed to vote, a demographic more likely to vote Labour.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2182 on: January 04, 2020, 01:27:30 AM »

Sometime the intellectual levels on this Forum quite amaze me.  Oh for all I have learned.  I am often stunned.  So many of you know so much more than I could have imagined.

What an ignoramus I was when first I came here.

That's a compliment, by the way.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #2183 on: January 04, 2020, 07:00:20 AM »
Again you would have to ask the voters but several factors may be at play including the number of seats contested, 129 to Westminster’s 59 and in the Scottish elections 16-17s were allowed to vote, a demographic more likely to vote Labour.

Three of my grand children are first time voters.
From chatting to them and their friends it would seem that very few of that age group voted Labour.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2184 on: January 04, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
Three of my grand children are first time voters.
From chatting to them and their friends it would seem that very few of that age group voted Labour.

The statistics seem to suggest otherwise.

‘Labour’s strongest demographics are the under-35s, public-sector workers and renters. It does better among remain groups than leave groups – and even better among those who did not vote in the 2016 referendum (reflecting its younger age profile). Labour is losing less of its 2017 vote to the Brexit party than the Conservatives, but is suffering more when it comes to the Lib Dems and the Greens – about a quarter of its 2017 vote has switched to one of those more unambiguously pro-remain parties.’

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/04/election-polls-boris-johnson-jeremy-corbyn

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2185 on: January 04, 2020, 11:56:43 AM »
The statistics seem to suggest otherwise.

‘Labour’s strongest demographics are the under-35s, public-sector workers and renters. It does better among remain groups than leave groups – and even better among those who did not vote in the 2016 referendum (reflecting its younger age profile). Labour is losing less of its 2017 vote to the Brexit party than the Conservatives, but is suffering more when it comes to the Lib Dems and the Greens – about a quarter of its 2017 vote has switched to one of those more unambiguously pro-remain parties.’

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/04/election-polls-boris-johnson-jeremy-corbyn

Did The Labour Party win, or come even remotely near it?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2186 on: January 04, 2020, 12:31:42 PM »
Did The Labour Party win, or come even remotely near it?

I don’t think I claimed that they did.

The point I was making is the disparity between the number of Labour seats in the Scottish Parliament and those in Westminster may be explained by the overall number of seats being contested or the fact that 16-17 year olds can vote in Scotland but not in England/Wales.

I thought I’d made that clear.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2187 on: January 04, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »
I don’t think I claimed that they did.

The point I was making is the disparity between the number of Labour seats in the Scottish Parliament and those in Westminster may be explained by the overall number of seats being contested or the fact that 16-17 year olds can vote in Scotland but not in England/Wales.

I thought I’d made that clear.

You probably did.  I am not feeling very well at the moment.

However, there is much to be said for the oldies.  They know that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2188 on: January 04, 2020, 01:02:55 PM »
You probably did.  I am not feeling very well at the moment.

However, there is much to be said for the oldies.  They know that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Hope things improve soon.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2189 on: January 04, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »
Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Hope things improve soon.

Oh they will.  I am just about to have another Large Gin.  This is by far the best way to knock back Ibuprofen.  I mean, you have to drink something with The Pill.  And water is so passé, don't you think.