Author Topic: Should There Have been An Upper Age Limit For Voters?  (Read 13873 times)

Offline APRIL

Re: Should There Have been An Upper Age Limit For Voters?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
Perhaps if, as in Australia, it was compulsory to vote, the outcome may have been very different. As it stands, almost half of those who voted are unhappy with the outcome.

Alfie

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
Rather than imposing any sort of  criteria on the electorate I would like to see consequences for politicians and others who deliberately mislead.  This could include fines (personal and party) and losing their seats.  The electorate should be able to rely on information presented in referendums and elections.  Where the information is found to be deliberately misleading then there should be consequences.

It's outrageous that the Brexiteers advertised and claimed 350 million "could" be used to fund the NHS when this was never a realistic proposal. 

I didn't bother voting as it was obvious to me there was so much BS on both sides.

Now the whole thing has turned into a farce akin to X Factor and Big Bro! 

IMO BJ and MG look and sound ridiculous.  Are these really the sort of people we want representing us on the world stage?  I hope the pair of them disappear from public life forever. 

Andrew Marr interviewed Andrea Leadsom and Michael Gove on the AM show this morning.  The contrast could not be starker.

Come on Andy and Tess!  The absolute dream ticket!   8@??)( 8@??)(
Scuse my ignorance but who are Andy and Tess?

Offline Myster

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
You have to get used to Holly's shorthand. She means Prince Andrew and Tess Daly

Sorry that should be Mrs' Leadsom and May.

It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Alfie

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
You have to get used to Holly's shorthand. She means Prince Andrew and Tess Daly

Sorry that should be Mrs' Leadsom and May.
OK, thanks - I thought they were opponents not running partners?  What about news today regarding Leadsom's complete volte-face on the EU from 3 years ago when she was a staunch Remainer?

Offline Myster

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 04:53:42 PM »
OK, thanks - I thought they were opponents not running partners?  What about news today regarding Leadsom's complete volte-face on the EU from 3 years ago when she was a staunch Remainer?

Heaven help us! Two women fighting for the top jobs... PM and Chancellor!

AL changed her mind when Cameron came back from negotiations with his tail between his legs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3672165/Andrea-Leadsom-woos-Tories-promise-heir-Thatcher-REFUSES-rule-bringing-Nigel-Farage-beats-Theresa-Tory-crown.html

If you haven't already watched the latest Leadsom interview (26:00 minutes in)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07k5s9c/the-andrew-marr-show-03072016
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline John

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
As far as I am aware sixteen and seventeen year olds are allowed to vote in every election in Scotland. Scottish Parliamentary elections and local council elections, not only the Independence referendum.
This has been deemed a great success, engaging this age group in political debate and giving them the chance to vote in accordance with their own hopes and political desire.

You're right of course and thanx.  The voting age for teenagers in Scotland for UK Parliamentary and European elections remains at 18 years of age. 

A bit of a dogs dinner if you ask me and yet another cynical excuse for Scotland to be different!
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2016, 05:28:58 PM »
Rather than imposing any sort of  criteria on the electorate I would like to see consequences for politicians and others who deliberately mislead.  This could include fines (personal and party) and losing their seats.  The electorate should be able to rely on information presented in referendums and elections.  Where the information is found to be deliberately misleading then there should be consequences.

It's outrageous that the Brexiteers advertised and claimed 350 million "could" be used to fund the NHS when this was never a realistic proposal. 

I didn't bother voting as it was obvious to me there was so much BS on both sides.

Now the whole thing has turned into a farce akin to X Factor and Big Bro! 

IMO BJ and MG look and sound ridiculous.  Are these really the sort of people we want representing us on the world stage?  I hope the pair of them disappear from public life forever. 

Andrew Marr interviewed Andrea Leadsom and Michael Gove on the AM show this morning.  The contrast could not be starker.

Come on Andy and Tess!  The absolute dream ticket!   8@??)( 8@??)(

This £350m bollox is long in the tooth now.  It doesn't matter one iota whether it is £350m or £100m the point is the same and has been emphasised over the last few days by the Tory leadership hopefuls.  That money whatever it is will be spent on our NHS instead of being given away to eastern Europe to spend on their donkey farms.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2016, 05:32:17 PM »
Perhaps if, as in Australia, it was compulsory to vote, the outcome may have been very different. As it stands, almost half of those who voted are unhappy with the outcome.

I think that should be the case here, great idea.  8((()*/

PS    Please remain on topic.guys.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:18:48 AM by John »

Offline Erngath

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2016, 07:04:12 PM »
You're right of course and thanx.  The voting age for teenagers in Scotland for UK Parliamentary and European elections remains at 18 years of age. 

A bit of a dogs dinner if you ask me and yet another cynical excuse for Scotland to be different!

I think it is very sensible to allow that age group to vote. After all sixteen/seventeen years old can be married, join the army, learn to drive, so they should be allowed to vote.
We are different in many ways. Different legal system, different education system, different health service, different drink/driving levels..............
We are a different country and the results of the referendum here were quite different.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2016, 11:01:59 PM »
I think it is very sensible to allow that age group to vote. After all sixteen/seventeen years old can be married, join the army, learn to drive, so they should be allowed to vote.
We are different in many ways. Different legal system, different education system, different health service, different drink/driving levels..............
We are a different country and the results of the referendum here were quite different.
The human brain does not complete physical development until about age 25.

I am not talking about life experience here.  I am simply talking about when one's brain is built.

Our 20 year old granddaughter went on a Facebook rant about how it was disgusting that the oldies had denied her generation's wishes.  Did she herself vote?  Of course not.  My (fossil) partner took the effort to vote, and went for remain.
What's up, old man?

Offline mercury

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2016, 11:11:21 PM »
This £350m bollox is long in the tooth now.  It doesn't matter one iota whether it is £350m or £100m the point is the same and has been emphasised over the last few days by the Tory leadership hopefuls.  That money whatever it is will be spent on our NHS instead of being given away to eastern Europe to spend on their donkey farms.

Dont  these eastern european countries have to pay the eu to be a member? If so, why shouldnt they get benefits like the Uk does for the financial input made?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2016, 11:37:53 PM »
There are net contributors and net beneficiaries. I think you can work out which are which;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm#start
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline mercury

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2016, 12:23:37 AM »
Oh! Thanks GU, its all Greek to me, so much research to do, on so many aspects, I will leave it to the experts (the honest and totally independent ones, but which ones are they lol)
oh well, we have all witnessed history in the making this last week or so

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2016, 06:23:13 AM »
I'm no expert but we clearly pay a lot into the EU. Of course we have a rebate too, negotiated by Mrs Thatcher, but it's not a permanent arrangement. Without the rebate we would be paying more.

I don't understand why we have a Trade deficit of £ 85 million either. That means EU countries sell more to us than we do to them. I thought the main benefit of Trade deals was to sell, not buy.

There's a chart showing the differences per country here;
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-3666465/How-does-EU-need-Britain-s-trade-Brexit-means-ll-out.html

We do have a trade surplus in services sold to EU countries. The development of our economy from manufacturing to services has paid off in that respect.
https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

Could our service economy compete in the world markets outside the EU? I guess that's the big question, and not one that the service industries and our governments are keen to try.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline John

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2016, 12:25:35 AM »
Dont  these eastern european countries have to pay the eu to be a member? If so, why shouldnt they get benefits like the Uk does for the financial input made?

On the chart at post #41 every country from Malta down takes more from the EU than they pay in and that includes all Eastern European former Soviet Bloc States, they are all net beneficiaries. 

Interestingly, Portugal, Spain, Poland and Greece top the list of takers!   Isn't it wonderful, the UK, Germany and Holland are effectively subsidising Portugal and Spain, who would have thought it?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:24:12 PM by John »