Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413528 times)

Offline Admin

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1485 on: January 07, 2014, 01:28:25 AM »
The hearing due to take place in Lisbon later this morning has been postponed while judge considers legal arguments on behalf of the plaintiffs.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:40:28 AM by Admin »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1486 on: January 07, 2014, 03:41:57 AM »
The hearing due to take place in Lisbon later this morning has been postponed while judge considers legal arguments on behalf of the plaintiffs.

Thanks for the update, Admin.

Any idea for how long the postponement is supposed to be?

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #1487 on: January 07, 2014, 06:57:22 AM »
Let's hope the McCann legal team have something very clever in store this week, because the facebook webmaster just claimed that it's the UK press who have hampered the search.

Yes I thought that was an eeeek moment lol...

Cariad

« Reply #1488 on: January 07, 2014, 10:24:03 AM »
Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 5m
#mccann libel trial adjourned to date to be fixed after Goncalo Amaral's lawyers submitted more documents at last minute

https://twitter.com/JerryLawton

Offline jassi

« Reply #1489 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:35 AM »
Are these the documents he was requested to supply at an earlier session, or something entirely different?

I though the trial was essentially over and it was just a case of summing up and announcing a decision, but obviously not.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Victoria

« Reply #1490 on: January 07, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »
Bog standard delaying tactics. Reeks of desperation on Amaral's part.

I'm just waiting for the claims that he's finally revealing his Ace!  @)(++(*

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #1491 on: January 07, 2014, 11:11:12 AM »

@)(++(* you deduced all of the above because of the delay? I read it was the plaintiff requesting, and then I read its because there are 3 days of mourning for the footballer, so everything is shut....hey ho here we go again.

3 things lol, just like 3 burglars...next........ 8)--))

stephen25000

« Reply #1492 on: January 07, 2014, 11:30:25 AM »

The only desperation visible has been the mccanns court case falling apart. 8((()*/

Estuarine

« Reply #1493 on: January 07, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »

The only desperation visible has been the mccanns court case falling apart. 8((()*/

Tend to agree. There also appears to be a correlation between when things aren't going too well and the increase in "silly traffic" in the press. Dead tractor drivers, robbers, plumbers, Scandawegians, spy planes, lookylikeys to name but a few.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1494 on: January 07, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »

You cannot possibly know this.  Two entirely different types of witnesses.  But to me The Judge was much more sceptical about Amaral's witnesses.  All good buddies bar one, and even he had a dubious interest.

Personally, I have no idea of what the final outcome will be.  But in the end it is all to do with whether or not Amaral had a right to say what he did, repeatedly.

stephen25000

« Reply #1495 on: January 07, 2014, 12:12:13 PM »
You cannot possibly know this.  Two entirely different types of witnesses.  But to me The Judge was much more sceptical about Amaral's witnesses.  All good buddies bar one, and even he had a dubious interest.

Personally, I have no idea of what the final outcome will be.  But in the end it is all to do with whether or not Amaral had a right to say what he did, repeatedly.

So why were the Mccanns so desperate to make witness statements ?

As to the outcome of the case, it won't be the end.

Then come the appeals.

Estuarine

« Reply #1496 on: January 07, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »

As I understand it the Supreme Court in Portugal has already ruled Dr Amaral had that right and had not infringed the McCann's rights when the McCann's failed in their final bid to have his book banned from sale. You may or may not trawl around the international press but there are suggestions there that the McCann's tried to settle out of court but the defendants wouldn't have any of it. Hence the delay from Jan 2013 to Sept 2013. Odd action for a plaintiff surely?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1497 on: January 07, 2014, 12:28:23 PM »
So why were the Mccanns so desperate to make witness statements ?

As to the outcome of the case, it won't be the end.

Then come the appeals.

Who said that The McCanns were desperate?  Amaral appears to be the one who is using delaying tactics again.

stephen25000

« Reply #1498 on: January 07, 2014, 12:32:19 PM »
Who said that The McCanns were desperate?  Amaral appears to be the one who is using delaying tactics again.

Well other links/reports have stated the plaintiffs as wanting a delay.

So take your choice. Bearing in mind of course the mccanns or Amaral never intended to be witnesses at the start.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1499 on: January 07, 2014, 12:36:44 PM »

I think you might find that that is not true.
I have heard that  there is some legal query, related to Madeleine being a Ward of Court which is awaiting clarification.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:40:03 PM by jassi »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future